Roll Call: Sacramento, CA tour sauce junkies....where you at?

Cool. Pretty set on Corica South in Alameda. Date and other details pending.

1 Like

Sounds good to me. Never played there but I’m always down for a new course

Just a heads up, guis.

2 Likes

Just tossing it out there.

Anyone played/a member at Catta Verdera? Looking into that club as well as I may be moving closer to rocklin that anticipated.

Greetings fellow Sacramentans. I’m new to the group, live in the Arden area. With the rainy season upon us, was wondering if anyone has reccos for local courses with good drainage? I know Teal Bend drains well, but not sure beyond that

1 Like

Greetings!! Here is what my buddy from Davis says:

@Staebs , this was my exchange with Mark Thawley who works with Kyle Phillips design and was very hands on with Del Paso.

Stonks: :"Someone recently called Del Paso a ‘vintage Donald Ross’ and that really struck me the wrong way, but I couldn’t tell him exactly why he was wrong. What would your response be?

Thawley :“Donald Ross was never involved in the original design nor did we set out to do anything close to a Donald Ross style. Ross designed hundreds of courses and his designs vary quite a bit from site to site so it’s hard to even lock down a ‘Vintage Ross’ style. At least this person is associating Del Paso with Classic Era Architecture, which is a good thing.”

Thoughts?

I would describe that as a fair assessment! I didn’t know that Ross didn’t do the original design, and I think “classic era” is a much better description. I equate Ross with the turtle back greens a la Pinehurst 2, which Del Paso has a couple of. Maybe call it a classic course influenced by the stylings of Donald Ross?

DPCC member here. Herbert Fowler was the original GCA. For anyone that is interested in more info on the history of the Del Paso redesign (which is very very good) the pretentious smucks over at Golf Club Atlas has a good discussion a few years back.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,6953.0.html

1 Like

Granite Bay is your best bet. Some top notch players at that club. Want to say they win the scratch league every year. Good course. Younger crowd. Can be douchey in my opinion as is much of Granite Bay. Reasonable $$$ to join.

North Ridge doesn’t have much of a younger crowd. Was a member there for a few years. There is like 10-15 members under 40. And, it was extremely hard to get a tee time pre-Covid. Can’t imagine what it’s like now. Track is solid. New greens. Great facilities.

Wouldn’t bother with Serrano unless you live in the neighborhood.

Catta is a great option. Some good players there. Phil Dawson is arguably the top coach in Sac that teaches out of there. Beautiful setting.

4 Likes

Catta Verdera is a fine course. I’ve played it a lot, mostly years ago though. Good range. Fun putting green. Decent short game area. Good mix of holes. Some funky holes (short doglegs etc.) but overall good shot variation. Let’s go play it soon.

What a wild thread. I caddied at the 2016 Senior Open at DP. Thought it was a great course.

Looking back, are members pleased with the redo? Seems like they were hesitant going into it based on what “Mindy” was saying.

Haha. Yeah, ridiculous at times. I’ve only been there a handful of years but the old guard seem to love the new design. I’ve never heard anyone wish they had the old design back. It’s a great test and some great holes. 18 has to be the best finisher in Sac.

If anyone wants to get out there (post lockdown) let me know!

1 Like

That was an “infamous” old thread on GCA, with some posts deleted (I have been on GCA since day 1). A few of the posters have since passed away. Hard to believe it was 17 years ago. Tommy N was very passionate about it.

1 Like

Any other Sacramento related threads on GCA worth checking out? I guess I could go search…

Unfortunately GCA is powered by a circa-1998 website, so the search function (and basically every other function) on the site is terrible. There hasn’t been much Sacramento-area talk in ages, and if there was, it would be difficult to find, and for sure out of date.

Much different from the early days, when the most active posters were from California.

Hey all. Just throwing this out there…have a tee time on Wednesday at 10 am in Stockton at Oakmoore GC, the private little 9 holer. Going to do two loops. Looking for another couple golfers to join my pal and I.

Hey there, is your offer still open to play Del Paso? I’d love to join you sometime. My schedule is pretty flexible, so whenever you’re looking for someone fill out your group let me know.

I’m relatively new to the Sacramento area and randomly drove by Del Paso the other day. It looks incredible and the more I researched it the better it looks. I think it says a lot for a club to have the guts to overhaul the course and when it pays off the way it did there it’s awesome.