Roll Call: Sacramento, CA tour sauce junkies....where you at?

Sound off! I need someone to teach me Wolfhammer in Roseville!

Hey, so I’m not from Sacramento but my brother lives in Redding and I’ll be flying in to SMF Monday the 21st to visit him and we were going to try and play a round that day. Any advice on the best public tracks in the area that are reasonably priced? I saw in another thread someone suggest Ancil Hoffman and was hoping to get some affirmation of that pick.

Hey there. What time of day you thinking about playing? Ancil is good but near a river and gets fairly soggy in the winter time

Problem lately has been the consistent rain during the week so been a lot of cart path only and frost delays in the morning. If you do not care about that or you plan on walking, then the following courses are good in the Sac area:

1. My first choice would be Yocha Dehe. Top 100 public course, $80 on a Monday around Noon, and on the way back to Redding from the airport.

2. These are my second choices in the Sacramento area (most should only be $40 on a Monday). In no particular order since it really depends on what style course you like and what shape they are in based on rain, etc: Teal Bend (close to airport), Ancil Hoffman, Timber Creek or Whitney Oaks (both in Roseville 20 minutes away…Whitney is hard but I love it).

3. Plumas Lake & Coyote Run are also on the way back to Redding but I don’t know much about them.

Good luck and have fun!

wow, thanks for that detailed response. Not sure how I didn’t see it, because I thought I checked back on here but I must not have. We ended up playing Ancil Hoffman and then a couple courses up in Redding while I was up there during the week. We walked, I think it was about $43, but since it was MLK day the course was really slow even though we played at about noon on a weekday. The course was pretty wet, like you said, and it was okay, nothing spectacular, but a solid muni. I played about as well as I could have expected to after months without golf and then a random round in January with no range sessions beforehand, but I was just happy to be out there. I’ll have to check back here again next time I go out to visit my brother. Thanks again, and if you’re ever in the Twin Cities looking for course suggestions, I can return the favor.