Roll Call: Pittsburgh and Western PA

Just did some recon on the courses you listed and it looks to be a great list. I appreciate the quick feedback and am planning on getting out to Birdsfoot this weekend (weather permitting). Olde Stonewall seems to be a bit further of a drive than the others listed but looks so damn pure… Definitely want to give that place a look at some point before the end of the year.

I live north of the the city around Cranberry; if you’re up for a drive there a lot of great courses around Youngstown: Firestone Farms, Mill Creek (Donald Ross), Reserve Run, Kennsington. More locally there’s Olde Stonewall that’s a little pricey and always in good shape but not too stimulating to play, Cranberry Highlands, which I find overpriced and overcrowded, and the rest are sorta hit or miss in terms of the quality depending on day of the week with leagues.

Get on the Olde Stonewall mailing list and make note of their season dates. The out of peak season rate is a great price to pay for that place. You’ll be wondering how they got those giant stones up the hill on the back nine, and you’ll want to drive it straight.

On a plane right now to Pittsburgh. Staying in Monroeville, where should I be playing?

1 Like

Pittsburgh national isn’t too far and a pretty good track!

1 Like

None of my regular crew can play this weekend and I’ve got Saturday wide open.

Anyone want to meet up and play? Would prefer to play somewhere north of Pittsburgh but willing to drive if someone is free and has suggestions!

I am going to be over in Pittsburgh on 8/30 & 8/31 and looking for a connect with someone for Oakmont or something similar. I have never been to PA and I’d love to get out there. Happy to reciprocate with someone when they come to MA for BGC/Vesper or TPC Boston…help much appreciated

Grew up on Lake View, live in Cleveland now. LVCC is best course in Erie and one of the most underrated in PA.

1 Like

Lawrence Park is my home track, gorgeous view awesome greens!

2 Likes

Love the Park. The View will always be my first love though. I grew up in the mid 90s when the EDGA junior was the match play then a rota of 3 of the 4 private clubs for stroke play. Most fun I’ve ever had playing golf.

1 Like

I love the Park as well - tho haven’t been in a couple of years. Maybe we should do a home-and-home - I’ll host at the View and you at the Park!

Love that!

Moved to Pittsburgh about two years ago for work after graduating college. Was a member at Lakeview all throughout college and honestly couldn’t have had more fun playing there. My first true golf love lol

Native Philadelphian who moved to Pittsburgh in 2008! Live in Allison Park and work downtown. Always looking to play with people as my only playing partner at this point is my 7 year old!

Really thinking about making the 10 hour drive to Sweetens next month. Would anyone be interested?

1 Like

I might if the timing works out, as I’ve been debating that drive myself for months…

I can most anything work. Just need a partner in crime and share driving with!

1 Like

anybody free Saturday morning and want to play Wanango Country Club in Oil City? Been on my list of must plays this year and just haven’t gotten around to it. Looks like one of the last nice days of the year!

Off work this Thursday the 31st, anybody interested in walking 18 at Cranberry Highlands?

Did you get out to play Wanango? It’s on my list of places that are just outside a convenient distance to get to without spending an entire day in beautiful Oil City so I haven’t been there yet.

I didn’t this season. It’s a course I’d really like to go play with someone else and not solo, and I haven’t been able to link up with any Refugees lately to make the trip unfortunately. Will have to wait for spring I’m afraid.

1 Like