Roll Call: Pittsburgh and Western PA

That’s awesome! Congrats! Does that event still attract The Who’s who of Pittsburgh am scene? I’ve been interested in it since learning the big names when we had the State Am at Lakeview in 1996. I remember watching Sean Knapp walk through the clubhouse and you’d have thought I’d seen a movie star. #nerdalert

1 Like

Thanks man, hope you make it in! Would be good to have more NLU representation

2 Likes

It’s a pretty solid list. Knapp is the man, used to play with him a little when I was on the CMU golf team and he was playing out of Longue Vue (which is the home course for CMU). Happened to play with him at Pittsburgh National in 2017 before he won the Senior Am. He’s so unbelievably solid

1 Like

Stimmel won when it was at the View. I was less aware of him in ‘96, but when Nathan Smith started balling out at Allegheny I was like, “that’s the kid that won like every Kings Tournament.” My closest friend was at Methodist playing hoops so whenever I’d check his games, the landing page had Chad Collins winning something, and Nathan would always be right behind.

TLDR: I’m a nerd and Pittsburgh has some serious sticks.

2 Likes

I got the chance to play Laurel last weekend and it was pretty darn great. Awesome setting and visuals and come cool golf holes. Really requires you to hit the ball in the air given the green complexes, which is fine for me but can be a struggle for some players. Overall truly enjoyed it and they do it well (though I played really well which may cloud my judgement).

Haven’t played many other private clubs in the area at all other than my own (PFC-which I really enjoy). Maybe we need to do an exchange program around here.

4 Likes

Since we are sharing course photos, here is one I took at Birdsfoot last July on the 18th tee. There is a split fairway with mounds and bunkers in the middle, and a steep drop off after the horizon for a challenging par 4

5 Likes

Dude, I played in junior tourneys and high school events against Nate Smith - destroyed all of us. Quickly took away my dreams of playing on the tour

1 Like

I was 2 years behind him, so never personally crossed paths. Did you play Kings Tournaments? There were monthly (I think) recap flyers and his name was at the top of every event.

I stopped once through brookville and played his home course. Fun little track.

1 Like

I did play the Kings events. He’s a year older than me so he was always the bar to reach … What’s his home track?

Nathan plays out of Pinecrest in Roseville. It is a fun little course with lot’s of nostalgia for me. I grew up playing there but I’m 6 or 7 years younger than Nathan so didn’t bump in to him too much.

1 Like

Sure, but the play is to just blow it into #1 fairway and come into 18 from there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not one to brag for other people, but aforementioned buddy is the least online person I know. The mf’er got to play in the swat game at Oakmont this week. We met up for beers that night, and after hearing about it I will henceforth be making that a bucket list golf experience.

3 Likes

Damn that sounds fun

My friends to the east: I’d posted earlier this year about the Battle for the Big Nut, which I’d hoped to make a NIT qualifier. Due to any number of reasons—life and work getting way the fuck in the way, getting out over my skis with the original planning, the event coming right after our Roost championship, blah blah blah—the numbers never really took off.

While it’d be kind to call it an “event” at this point, it’s still a meetup and golf is gonna get played. Original link is below. Sleepy Hollow is a fantastic course. It’ll be hosting the Cleveland AM the following week so should be dialed. We’ve got guys playing Saturday PM and/or Sunday AM. So if anyone feels like making a drive next weekend, we’d love to see you out here.

Spreadsheet is in the event link. Just plop your name where applicable if you can make it. Craic on!

1 Like

Perfect weekend up in Ligonier with my dad this past weekend. Weather was 10/10 and RRC was in incredible shape, per usual.

Biggest highlight was taking my dad fly fishing yesterday morning and watching him reel in plenty of trout, including an 18" rainbow.

3 Likes

If anyone is looking for a scramble to play in, we still have room in our event at the end of the month. This is a fundraiser event for the Pitt-Johnstown Mens Golf team.

Just DM me for more info!

1 Like

Hey everyone. My wife and I are finally relocating back to the area after about 10 years living in eastern PA. We are closing on a house in Greensburg in Mid September, and am hopefully going to learn a bunch of new courses in the area. If anyone is close, and in need of a playing partner later this year, just hit me up.

7 Likes

Welcome back! Happy to host you any time at Green Oaks

Hey y’all actually moved back and hit up the range yesterday at Butler’s and the placed seemed pretty soaked. Anybody know what is in good shape right now vs. what’s not?

Thanks for the offer. I will be in touch for sure