Roll Call: Pittsburgh and Western PA

Just joined Green Oaks (happy to host any other refugees) out there. I would say for the price the course is solid. There’s maybe 1 or 2 kind throwaway holes but the greens are great. And the practice facility is one of the reasons I joined. Range is nice and the short game area is pretty good…on par or better than some other clubs (Pittsburgh Field Club and Longue Vue for example)

4 Likes

Oh wow, nice. Great to know!

I enjoyed Laurel more because the scenery and overall environment factored in big time. I thought it was very different than Oakmont. Trees, various ponds, no turnpike running through the middle, etc… Not a “links” course at all. It was a little more playable for me(9hdcp) than Oakmont as well. Don’t get me wrong, Oakmont is legendary and can see why it is a top course in the world but the overall Laurel experience was perfect for me. I was fortunate enough to stay over in one of the cottages the night after the round as well so that def influences my opinion as well. Hope you get to play this year and please share your review after.

2 Likes

Awesome stuff! Really hoping we get out there this fall and I’ll be sure to post here if so.

1 Like

Well it was close to 15-20 years ago when I played it and have fond memories as it was one of the first private clubs my Dad got me on to play as a teenager, so slightly biased. Just remember the conditions exceeding everything i had experienced up until that point.

Surprised I haven’t seen Butler CC mentioned more, a little ways out there but from everything I hear its pristine.

Awesome, is it a good walk?

It is a good walk. A few hills but nothing crazy considering it’s in SW PA

1 Like

Allegheny is great, but so soft right now. Going to play really long for the WPGA Women’s Am there next two days (6150 yards, no roll).

9 Likes

Damn, a week ago I’m sure it was running hot

Playing Butler County Club tomorrow, anyone have any insights what to expect? Apparently it just hosted the WPGA Amateur, so conditions may still be tough

Yeah, I’m hoping it dries out a good bit tonight.

@HoselShankRedemption, the greens will be interesting. The course itself is fairly straightforward. It too will be softer than usual, but in great shape. Our conference championship was there last year.

Oh, and take it over the trees on 11. Don’t play out to the right.

1 Like

One of my players was in this event yesterday. He said it was very soft and played long due to it being all carry

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback!

Following up - greens were absolutely lightning fast, numerous 3 putts. Really enjoyed the course though!

3 Likes

I’ve heard Butler CC has some of the fastest greens around so your experience is right on par

2 Likes

Here’s a range pic and the short game green

All in all pretty solid practice area

2 Likes

Dang looks really good. Blows Shannopin’s facilities out of the water for sure. Gotta get out there and check it out sometime.

1 Like

Hey y’all. I am moving home for at least a few months. I am pretty active member of the Baltimore/dc roost. Anybody interested in setting up a game?

Not sure if anyone here is playing in the WPGA mid-am, but I played well enough at the qualifier at Somerset CC to make (T6, 73). Stoked for the championship at Fox Chapel in September

If anyone else is trying to qualify at Lone Pine, good luck.

10 Likes

I thought I saw your name on there - Congrats! I’m playing at Lone Pine in a few weeks

3 Likes