Roll Call: Pittsburgh and Western PA

Ya’ll need to get to NW PA. That’s in Western PA, right? I’ve only played Willowbrook and it was 25 years ago so I may be out of line. But, Lake View CC, Lawrence Park GC, and the Kahkwa Club all hold their own. I admittedly overrate Lake View since I grew up on it. But, IMO these courses are worth the drive from Pittsburgh. And Whispering Woods is a damn good public too.

2 Likes

Kahkwa is #2 on my local-ish want to play list. Oakmont casts a bit shadow though :joy:

1 Like

So my top from what I’ve played would probably go

1 Sunnehanna
2 Oakmont
3 Indiana
4 Grove City
5 Hillcrest (home course)
6 Edgewood
7 Somerset

Greensburg, willowbrook, Hannastown, Montour Heights all kind of get lumped in the same as didn’t hate, didn’t love.

Interesting to hear peoples takes on Laurel Valley. We were actually talking about there last night at the club and some guys were saying it’s not what it used to be and the conditioning of it has went downhill lately. I haven’t played it so I had no opinion.

Also, Hill Crest got a new super this year that came to us from Field Club. Got that place playing outstanding. Always happy to host if someone wants to come out

1 Like

We have college events at Lake View and Whispering woods. Love both of those courses

1 Like

Of the courses ive played…

1. Montour Heights (got married there so got a round)

Hope to get to to any of those places one day. Is this because of being members at other courses or just knowing the right people?

One way of playing some of the private courses in the area is via WPGA Play Days. If you have a Handicap Index through a local or online club that is a member of the WPGA then you are eligible to register.

https://www.wpga.org/orc/rsc/wpga-play-days.html

2 Likes

I’ve been a member at Indiana and frequent Sunnehanna a fair amount. I’ve never played the big names like Oakmont or Laurel but that’s incredible that you rank Sunnehanna so highly!

2 Likes

This is awesome they still do this. Northern Ohio GA doesn’t anymore—basically they told me, just sign up for tournaments. Just curious, are you going to sign up for the Bedford Springs? Would love to hear what “affordable” rate you get.

1 Like

None of the WPGA Play Days are overly expensive. Sunnehanna even had one this year. Bedford Springs usually utilizes it’s “exchange” rate which is $79 or $89 I think.

Hope to play Bedford. It would be $89

2 Likes

Can you believe you can get a membership there for around $3000-3500 all in (greens fees, unlimited carts, range pass + ability to get guest rates)

1 Like

That’s sick! Then again, you have to go to Bedford. But, overall pretty sick.

I am a member at Rolling Rock. Have an 8 month old at home now so it’s a lot more family trips lately but I am able to get up there for a day trip soon, I’ll send a note here and see if I can get a few of you guys. Very special place to me and my family, proposed to my wife on #9 there.

Can confirm Laurel is so pure.

9 Likes

Loved Sunnehanna! Granted I shot my best round ever there, but even still, every hole was great, the history with the am there, complete package of a course. Indiana was also great, minus the hole on the front with the heavily sloped fairway. Played Indiana in a steady rain and still had a great time

Indiana is fantastic conditions, just not the best layout. I think I’m going to be joining Sunnehanna next year and would be happy to have people out

4 Likes

Had to chime in here - fortunate enough to play a decent amount of private courses, but still a lengthy wish list!!
Top 10 private courses I’ve played:

1. Nevillewood
  2. Allegheny
  3. Sewickley Heights
  4. Ligonier
  5. Edgewood
  6. Wildwood
  7. Diamond Run
  8. Indiana
  9. South Hills
  10. Hannastown

Wishlist -

1. Oakmont
  2. Laurel V
  3. Fox Chapel
  4. Butler CC
  5. Field Club
  6. Longue Vue
  7. Latrobe
  8. St Clair (should be playing next month fingers crossed)
  9. Nemacolin

Man it sucks to live close to so many great courses and never get the chance to play them once!! more connections needed for sure…

1 Like

Love the list! I’m very surprised to see Ligonier so high up there

Great list! Laurel over Oakmont is very interesting. I may get a chance to play Laurel later this year for the first time and having played OCC three times I can’t wait to see it with it being ahead on your list.

As far as what I’ve played I’d rank accordingly:

1. Oakmont
  2. Allegheny (it’s a mini-Oakmont, absolute fire)
  3. Fox Chapel (pre-reno)
  4. Nevillewood (played local US Open qualifying here in '16, got ejected)
  5. Latrobe CC
  6. Williams CC
  7. Diamond Run (weird, weird layout but generally in good shape)
  8. Nemacolin CC (old Tillinghast course, pretty cool track)
  9. Shannopin (used to be a member, course isn’t worth it at all)
  10. Southpointe (you’d probably have to pay me to play here again, just awful)

On my list of future hopefuls:
Laurel
Sewickley Heights
Longue Vue
Field Club

I’m sur there are more that I’m forgetting, but some really good private golf in the 'Burgh and surrounding area. Not so much on the public front unfortunately.

1 Like

Of the few I have gotten a chance to play:

1. Fox Chapel (would play here every day if i could)
  2. Nevillewood (pretty solid, good conditions)
  3. New Castle CC (stretching the boundaries here but worth a mention. Love this place - Tillie design)
  4. Hill Crest (play here frequently with a friend who’s a member, fun track)
  5. Latrobe (course is average, just has the Arnie factor)
  6. Willowbrook

I’ve been on the hunt for a place to join over the summer and seems as if Shannopin, Chartiers and Green Oaks are probably the most affordable clubs. I see Shannopin isn’t getting much love in this thread, interested to hear anyones thoughts on Green Oaks? Pretty decent rates and looks good enough from what I can tell.

Extremely jealous of all the Oakmont/Laurel/Rolling Rock mentions

1 Like

Shanny isn’t terrible by any means but there are much better mid- to lower-tier clubs in Pittsburgh around the same price. The course has some really bad holes but some good ones as well and the membership has really grown the last couple of years so it’s crowded al the time. Practice facilities are not good.

I’ve never played Green Oaks but it’s a Donald Ross and I’ve always been intrigued by the price for sure. From what I hear the course isn’t stellar but the greens are supposed to be great (they’re Ross after all). The practice facilities sound pretty weak as well.

2 Likes