Roll call: Phoenix/Scottsdale

Not very likely, was just curious

I did end up joining Tatum Ranch. I’ve played 3 rounds so far as a member, and they’ve all been under 3 hours! Course is very challenging, and the firm/fast conditions are fun.

2 Likes

@matthew823 cc: ALL

I received an email back from ASU golf coach RE: volunteering for NCAA Championships @ Grayhawk:

“Thanks Jeremy! We will have many important Volunteer jobs for sure. It will take an army to put this event on. Thanks so much for reaching out. I’ll keep your email and when we have our Volunteer Coordinator up and running I’ll make sure they contact you. Thank you.”

2 Likes

Fellow Valley golfers, does anyone know of a course who has a good practice or full membership program that is fairly cheap? Looking for a new one to start in a few weeks.

I use to have one at The Raven, $35 bucks a month for unlimited range balls but really no perks on getting on and playing. I would be willing to pay more for some discounts on 18 holes but nothing like a CC or anything.

Only things I’m looking for is good location, I live in tempe, no mats, and that it has a fairly good short game area.

Its been a long time, but Whirlwind used to have an annual membership and the course and short game area was always in great shape.

I just joined the website but have lived in Phoenix my entire life. I am a member at Phoenix Country Club so if you ever want to pay the guest fee and come out and play, just let me know. Otherwise I have been playing in a golf networking group called Golf and Grow about once a month. It is a shamble format, but everyone has been pretty fun and social if you are looking to find future playing partners.

1 Like

Welcome to the board.

I can vouch that pushdraw is a good guy to get a round in with. His username is also an accurate description of his go to ball flight.

1 Like

Wish I saw this earlier. I’m a member there. Come out for a test drive if you haven’t played yet or haven’t joined yet.

Aahhh, I see you joined. Let’s peg it sometime soon

Awesome! Definitely up to play a walkable course I haven’t had the privilege to play yet. What do the guest fee rates look like?

I would have to double check, but I think it is $50 green fee plus $23 for the cart. They aerated the greens a couple of weeks ago. It should be in prime shape by mid August.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

New or renovated course coming to Phoenix? Stumbled upon a job post for Golf Course Junior Architect, but couldn’t find any info as to where the course would be.

It’s time to re-invite golf!

Interesting.

Ahwatukee Lakes was an executive course that closed a few years back and the homeowners have fought to keep the land from being sold for development. Could be that it’s now sold for redevelopment as golf again.

I know that the regulation Ahwatukee course has been for sale as well but I don’t see why they would turn that into an executive course. It’s got the footprint of a regulation course set through homes so it doesn’t really make sense to shorten it.

Bougainvillea/Southern Ridge closed a while ago as well and has been for sale. That had some real estate but also a few more holes out in the open. Could be they sell some of the old course off and redevelop as an executive length course?

Or it could be somewhere else entirely.

What’s happening to Karsten?

Athletic fields. I believe that’s slated for the section that was south of the road, next to where the football and soccer fields are already anyway. Probably down the road they’ll build on the portion that was north of Rio Salado (11-17).

I asked a guy I know on GCA who’s often in the know on these things. He didn’t know, but he did point out that Bellair, an executive course on Bell Rd, is currently a par 59.

Of course, that could be true of some other executive courses around the Valley. I’m certainly not familiar with all of them. Nor would you be required to take an existing 59-par and keep it that way.

@shonseymp – to reply to you in this thread, we do have a few guys scattered across the valley, not sure if any others have gotten together but I have played once with @matthew823 but things got a little chaotic in the personal life lately, so haven’t play at all in a few months. Now that weather is a little more tolerable, hoping to get back out there. Definitely interested in playing, where will you be living? I’m in Scottsdale but probably about 20 south of Scottsdale National

1 Like

Moving down to Scottsdale here in a month or so to caddie at Scottsdale national, would love to meet up and play with people/just meet up in general