Roll call: Phoenix/Scottsdale

Man, I wish I could commit to a standing game but life (wife, two kids) just makes that unrealistic. Would love to try to get out sometimes, however.

I don’t play anywhere consistently, not during the peak season, sadly, not even during the summer months anymore. At least when golf is cheap it’s a little easier to skip out of work for a day and play somewhere when the opportunity presents itself, but I don’t really do that much in the winter, like I used to in the halcyon days (before kids).

I played ASU a few weeks ago, then Dove Valley a week later, because a buddy was free and the weekends worked out. That’s it for Phoenix golf since Thanksgiving for me.

Yeah, realistically I’ll be in the same boat, so maybe I should edit to say to create a network of guys to hit up to see if anybody can play haha.

Went out to Red Mountain Ranch CC in Mesa this weekend, Pete Dye is a bad bad man.

Temps are starting to rise so rates are coming back into my budget. Hoping to try and get some fun laid back but competitive outings with a little money on the line.

I have half days on Fridays and can get out to most courses by 1pm for 1:30ish or later tee times. Also pretty flexible for weekend tee times.

1 Like

I’m interested, also would recommend looking in to passes for the October-April expensive timeframe! Where are you located? Any specific tracks you like?

Live in North Peoria, work near the 17 and 101.

Favorite track is probably Camelback - Ambiente, but also a fan of all 3 of the Wigwam courses. Not big fan of courses through housing developments but will play anywhere with good enough deal.

I survive in the winter at the nice $14 par 3 course at the 500 Club and any good deal I can find. Saving up for solo Bandon Trip in March 2020 so most likely won’t be playing much next Winter/Early Spring haha.

Nice, have that area flagged for consideration when we’re ready to buy. My wife and I are due to have our 1st child any day now (due 5/18), so my volume of play is very much TBD. I did have the TPC pass, but did not renew with the above being around the corner. So I will very much be playing the field when I’m able to get out, and don’t hate the idea of a Mountain Shadows or 500 Futures for the mere fact of zipping around and not playing 4.5 - 5 hr rounds.

I work at Norterra, basically. Been known to slip out for a quick trip around the Futures Course after work, or even over a “long lunch,” when I have the itch to make some swings, or if I have a tee time coming up and haven’t played in a while. Nice little course.

They have a great deal for kids in the summer where if your sign your kid up for an etiquette class (which I think is only like $25) they get a summer pass where the kid and one adult can play for free during the summer. My kids are sort of starting to get interested in golf with their old man and that’s a great way to learn, but man even a short course like that is so brutal to walk in the summer here.

1 Like

Is anyone on this thread a member at Tatum Ranch, or have experience being a member there? I recently moved up to the north side of town and am considering joining, as the junior/executive membership is quite reasonable, but I would love to hear some feedback from members! Thanks

We have a very small contingent of permanent residents (or so it seems), what is the membership breakdown?

If you’re under 40: ~$5k initiation + ~$300/mo. $20 cart fees, walking is permitted. If over 40, I believe initiation and monthly dues double.

I’m not in love with the golf course, but it seems to always be in good condition, pace of play is very good, and the practice facilities are pretty good too. These general comments are only based on playing there 3-4 times over the last few years, though…

I know I would play more often if I had a regular spot. Getting early morning weekend tee times at public courses has gotten increasingly difficult, so I am trying to find a solution that works, but at least makes some sense financially…

1 Like

Seems very solid, I’ve personally never played the course. Do you currently play enough to warrant a full membership, even if you say you would with a membership? That’s my biggest struggle, I’m just a weekend warrior, where a pass is the best bet for me.

I do play enough that a membership is somewhat justifiable, though it would be a bigger expense than I currently spend on golf. I play 80-90 rounds per year, with probably 90% of those on weekends. I think I would practice and play twilight 9 hole rounds more often with some kind of membership, it’s just a hassle to do those type of things without some sort of access.

What annual passes do you have? I have the city of Phoenix card, which is great for Papago and GCU, but those courses are both ~30 mins from my house so the location just isn’t great. Over the years, I’ve had the WeKoPass, Grayhawk White Tee, and OB Sports passes as well. WeKoPa has become next to impossible to get early morning weekend tee times with the booking restrictions.

I have previously been a TPC pass holder, but did not renew this year (becoming a 1st time Dad very soon here). Was great for discounted rates during peak season, and after 2:30pm cart fees only (frustrating that there was no further discount for walking after 2:30pm). Same situation though, nearly impossible to get a foursome, but usually easy to get out as a single or twosome.

Pretty decent deal. Are you paying the cart fee even if you walk?

I played Tatum on my first trip to Phx 20+ years ago, when I guess it was only semi-private (?), and was not impressed with the course. Played it again with a member a few years back and … same, I guess. No bad holes, no interesting holes. Pretty decent condition when I played this recent time.

But that’s what you get when you’re in the market for a budget club, really.

Years ago (pre-kids) I almost joined Moon Valley, because I lived right by it and they had a pretty good junior member deal that would have allowed me to play a lot at a point when I was trying to do that. Didn’t love that golf course course, either, but I could have been OK playing there. Ultimately it didn’t happen for a variety of reasons (a health ailment on my part, and global economic stuff that affected the community and club).

A club definitely offers benefits over even the best pass deals at public courses. You can get regular games, get good times, better pace of play, go out for late afternoon loops of nine, etc. If that works with your life, then it’s appealing.

1 Like

Looks like there’s 1 more available tee time for Wigwam - Gold at 2:16pm this Friday 5/17 if anyone is free

$28 (fees included) on GolfNow HotDeal

Sorry just saw this one - no cart fee if you walk. They do ding you like $8 if you want a push cart, but can walk/carry anytime with no fee.

Agreed with your assessment of the course, excellent condition, ok layout, but fairly forgettable.

1 Like

2:16 tee time still looks available if there are any takers. Walkable course and high temp of only 80 on Friday

@StackAndJilt did you end up pulling the trigger on Tatum Ranch?

Not yet, but likely that I will. You interested in joining?