Roll call: Phoenix/Scottsdale

Anyone interested in teeing it up saturday? I dont care what time or where.

Playing Vistancia tomorrow at 1:03.

3 spots are still available for $30 if anyone wants to join
https://trilogyvistancia.dailydeals.golf/Widget/layout/2/Times?t=638594395114917421

We are now accepting entries for the 2025 edition of the Tumbleweed Two Ball!

The biggest difference for this year is that the event will take place on a Sunday (3/9/25).

1 Like

I would like to get in after locals/ repeat players. Last time I played a tournament at Aguila was in highschool lol

Go ahead and sign up now if you want to play. We upped the field size to 32 and this is a first come, first served event.

IN - I will probably play twice before this

7 Likes

Woah. Signs of life.

4 Likes

Can I sign up as a single?

3 Likes

Yup. Sign up as a single and then pairings/teams are basically randomly assigned closer to the event.

5 Likes

Hey guys,

We just did our first guys golf trip. Went to mesquite and St. George. Played falcon ridge, wolf creek, sand hallow, and the ledges. Was an awesome time and we are already looking at where to go next July. Anyone go on any cool golf trips they would recommend? I was thinking maybe Washington and doing chambers bay and some other courses around there or Grand Rapids Michigan or denver( don’t know any courses out there). One guy is suggested a San Diego trip and play both Torrey pines courses but just keep hearing from the nlu guys how overrated especially for the price it is. Not a c- suite budget (so no bandon dunes or pinehurst) but not strapped just in the middle.

Thanks

2 Likes

I cannot recommend Michigan enough. Great on a budget to do The Mines, Diamond Springs, and Pilgrims Run. A few others to add if you want a fourth course but great foot and beer as well.

Going further north to traverse city would also be a great trip with plenty of good golf to be had

4 Likes

From Phoenix, San Diego is a convenient trip, but there are no great courses. Plenty of totally good courses, though. I think Torrey North is worth playing. I hated the South though it was an interesting experience to play, since I had been to the 08 Open there. I’d recommend skipping it. Hit Rams Hill on the way out (should be open year round starting next summer), maybe the new Hanse course at La Costa, Torrey North, Goat Hill, and Maderas and that’s an enjoyable itinerary you can do while staying just two nights while driving from Phoenix. Stay a third night and there are plenty of other courses you can add as well.

But I think there are also a ton of reasonable options if you can find a cheap flight - Denver, Grand Rapids, Seattle all fit that bill,

edit. Albuquerque/Santa Fe is also a reasonable drive from PHX.

2 Likes

I just got back from a Bandon trip and while that place is its own boondoggle, Gearhart and Manzanita were fantastic. You could easily play them multiple times each without any exhaustion. Chambers Bay is a three hour drive from Gearhart, so a trip could be made from those (I’m sure there’s something else along the way).

Looking out into the future - Rodeo Dunes and Wild Horse could be an incredible combo once the former comes online. It’s definitely on my radar.

3 Likes

Or Rodeo dunes-> Western Kansas…

1 Like

I’m fully prepared to not be overly impressed with Torrey south but I’m excited to play it next month. Will probably find it extremely overpriced but it will be neat to check off the list

3 Likes

Given what other “big name” courses cost, especially those that are right on the ocean, being overpriced is not a complaint I would level at Torrey South.

Just … gestures at literally everything else.

1 Like

But if everything else is eh except it being on the ocean wouldn’t that make it overpriced? I’ve played the plantation course for less lol

1 Like

I mean, to some extent? But at the same time it just costs a lot of money to play golf on the ocean, good or bad. Trump LA is $525 and is not good. Sandpiper is not very good, costs $200, and it’s dirty little secret is you can only see the ocean a couple of times (even when you’re cliffside you sometimes can’t see it because the slope of the ground is so unusual). I don’t know when you played the Plantation Course but it’s over $500 more often than not now (as of my trip to Maui last year and verified online right now). My memory is that it was around $275 when I played it on my honeymoon … and that was 2005. Also while Plantation has great views of the ocean (and is a great course) it is not actually on the ocean.

Is $235 a lot of money for Torrey South? Sure, for that course. But it is a Tour stop and has had two US Opens (good ones, with popular winners). It has great views and is in good condition. They really could charge more for it and the tee sheet would still be full.

2 Likes

I paid $200 or $210 in 2010 so good for them for not price gouging.

1 Like

I paid $230 in 2022 and was shocked the price has barely moved in the past two years.

1 Like