Roll call: Phoenix/Scottsdale

NCAA Women’s National Championship begins Friday up at Greyhawk. Good chance to watch #TeamRose and Stanford up close as well as plenty of other top teams. I’ll likely be up there at least one of the days this weekend. Anyone else planning on going up as well? IIRC admission is free.

1 Like

Free and, every time I’ve been out, very few people around, especially for the women’s tournament. It’s really fun to go watch the match play days.

I have no plans currently, but might take a day off if the Arizona ladies make it through.

1 Like

Any takers for a round next Friday 5/26? I need to get my last Quota round in for the season, but my parents are visiting from out of town so only have that day available.

Option 1 - already booked a foursome at 5:52am at Cave Creek if anyone is off work or good to start work later in the morning.

Option 2 - 2pm-ish tee time up in my neck of the woods at Vistancia for $39.

Anyone looking to play some golf this evening? Looking at 330ish tee times. Thinking Encanto or San Marcos but open to whatever - lmk

Hey is there anyone on here that lives near Longbow? I just bought the Thompson summer pass so will probably be playing out there quite a bit and I’d like to venture up to Dove Valley eventually. Also just bought the Phoenix City card today!

3 Likes

I live nowhere near Longbow (Ahwatukee) but will happily make that drive every so often. Glad to hear you got the City of Phoenix card. It’s the best deal around, especially in peak season. Look forward to having another person to get in our regular games at Encanto, Aguila, etc.

1 Like

I have the Thompson card and play Dove quite a bit. Would love to join when you decide to make the drive up!

1 Like

Looking for semi private, or hidden gems in AZ to play this week.

1. Welcome
  2. Arizona is a large state…where are you going to be?
  3. Semi-private? Why is that important? Tee sheet and conditions at a semi private or public are going to be very similar. Also pretty rare here in Phoenix
  4. There are no hidden gems. Apache Stronghold is dead and was a gem covered in pig shit. Ak-Chin Southern Dunes is probably the best value due to it’s somewhat remote location.
4 Likes

Phoenix area willing to drive far to remote areas.
Either or semi or public, but I’m open to semi private or private because our course can get us on them. public is just book and play so I’m open.
I guess we are looking for something totally different than the two we currently playing.
Playing so far - We-Ko-Pa and Whisper Rock.

Edit: Is “the boulders” a cool track? looks nifty online.

If your group has any early risers, I got 3 spots available for a 5:52am tee time this Friday at Cave Creek Golf Course. It’s no Whisper Rock, so definitely “totally different”. Solid muni that’s typically in pretty good shape. No idea what the current conditions are as we are in the transition season from rye back to bermuda.

1 Like

Play as many rounds at Whisper Rock as possible.

There are lots of discussion here and golfwrx around courses in the area. There are 200 in Phoenix and about half our desert/“totally different” and none of them are must play IMO. We can play golf 360 days a year but my top 15 courses are I have played are not in AZ.

Whisper Rock is a great vibe and great golf. It’s a golf club, not a country club. PVCC is a Coore/Crenshaw if you can get on there.

1 Like

One available spot open at GCU on Saturday morning at 6:18 am. Any takers let me know

Boulders (mainly the South) is interesting as a non-local to play a very target-style course with a lot of large rock outcropping (and, yes, literal boulders) all over the place. Is it a great course? Not really. But quite memorable. The North has awesome views and is maybe a better course but doesn’t have the wow factor of the South.

If you can get on, I think the place to play is Scottsdale National. I hear only really good stuff about The Other Course there and The Bad Little Nine looks like the most wild way to spend an afternoon with golf clubs.

any totally good food places we need to go? Going to Pizzeria Bianco and Conica Madrigal. Any nice places to eat? We also like cool breakfast spots

Just to get pedantic, it’s a Lawrence Hughes design that many people have worked on over the years, C&C being the most recent. For my money, one of the hallmarks of C&C design is often the routing, so since they had nothing to do with that at PV it’s not fully “their” course.

Glance at an aerial of what the course used to be vs what it is now and you can tell they made huge improvements and there are plenty of interesting holes there, but even with the others being public I would play WKP Saguao and TS Oodham over PV anytime and be pretty evenly split between PV and TS Piispash (PV has more interesting land but I like that TS isn’t playing through houses).

1 Like

Mowry + Cotton @ the Phoenician had a damn good breakfast when my wife and i stayed there.

Butterfields Pancake House or Snooze for more standard breakfast / brunch fare.

1 Like

If you are in the downtown area. Some of the better restaurants to check out are:
The Larder and the Delta
Restaurant Progress
The Farish House
Rokerji

For breakfast:
Fame
Ollie Vaughn’s

I am definitely a better food consumer than golfer.

Welcome to Phoenix!

2 Likes

Even though the roost regular season is over and the temps are rising, it’s time to give this thread a little life.

Are 8 people up for a round of Alt Shot on July 29th or 30th?

Location: Thinking Encanto or Cave Creek since they are pretty centrally located.

Costs: TBD - guessing they’ll make us pay for 2 foursomes and everyone covers their cost vs 1 foursome and each team pays for one tee time.

Prize: A non-Saudi approved alcoholic prize of two 24-packs of Fat Tire that were gifted to our roost will be awarded to the winning team.

6 Likes

I am definitely in.

1 Like