Roll call: Phoenix/Scottsdale

Go to Longbow instead of wigwam

3 Likes

Anyone looking to get out on Sat March 25? Tee times are pretty scarce, but was gonna start looking and see if anyone else was interested in joining

4 Likes

I could be convinced!

1 Like

I like golf.

Also, another plug that the LPGA is at Superstition Mountain that week. Would love to get a crew together to go out either Saturday or Sunday.

2 Likes

I think 15 at DVR could be the dumbest hole in Arizona. Played the one-ups and was forced to play right, GPS showed 270 blind carry just to the rough short of the fairway via the left route, so that was a no-go, hit a decent 5W about 225 but it rolled out too much so I couldn’t see the green and still had 290 front in, so if you layup off the tee you are basically forced to layup on the 2nd. Fanned a 4i ~195 a touch left and stopped on the hard-pan (think it hit a tree tbh), now I’ve got a 110 punch shot under the branches to get up near the green in 3, chip and two putt for a 6, see ya later.

TL;DR - This hole stinks

3 Likes

Might be the worst hole in America, there’s only one other I’ve ever played (s/o to the 8th at Wildflower GC in Detroit Lakes, MN) that was an equal challenger to that title.

2 Likes

Everyone picks a different muni and see who gets lucky at 12:00am Thursday?

1 Like

15 at Dove Valley is not a good hole, but it’s just a forced layup 3-shot par 5. Those are everywhere.

The hole before it is way worse IMO. It’s a much stingier layup, where you have just a very small window that you have to hit to be able to have a clear second shot (and for most it’s a long iron or hybrid distance, which is odd). Go too far left in the fairway, you could be blocked out. They need to take several trees out.

1 Like

Sounds good!

Who’s all for sure playing? I’m in. Sounds like we possibly have more than four interested.

I’m 95% in. I booked a backup plan of 4 spots ($69+tax) at Hillcrest Golf Course near me for Saturday at 7:22am. If we have more than 4 interested, and we aren’t able to get anything around the same time at a muni, I can back out and just play the Hillcrest. Potentially saves me an extra hour of driving haha.

1 Like

update: I called ahead and Cave Creek is already booked out Saturday morning through early afternoon with 4 large groups. Aguila says they are open with no group play, and the extension for Encanto doesn’t seem to work so not sure what the situation is there.

1 Like

I’m for sure interested if we are still talking next Saturday (25th)

2 Likes

That’s what I was referring to as well. I know a few weekends are being discussed amongst different people. I’m in for the 25th.

1 Like

But we’re doing it in the correct thread and not spamming the non-AZ people :wink:

4 Likes

It’s like the others have never even Refuged before. Sad.

4 Likes

@Waffles @jknudtson and I are having an unrelated Distance Insights Committee meeting this Saturday and we will remember these comments

2 Likes

Some of us are trying to build region wide relationships. Trying to break up this disgusting cliche elitism going on.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s fair, I just feel like it would be better if 15 has to have more of an option to go left. If it was a 250 carry and some of the trees were gone it would be a legit risk reward situation. 14 I actually don’t mind because there’s only one question being asked, can you play to a number to give yourself a decent approach. It would be a lot better of a hole if there was a collection area to go right at it since it’s so short. Just a bad stretch of golf holes on an otherwise very nice public course

2 Likes

Agree that 14 would be better if they redid so there was some potential to take a rip at it, and the same with 15, though in both cases it won’t happen because a few balls could end up in the adjacent properties that never get close now and so no one would be willing to do that work.

17 is a little better because you can take an aggressive line, but that line is still totally absurd and counterintuitive. Most people playing there the first time probably nail driver deep into the desert down the right side based on the way that hole sets up.

It’s part typical RTJ2 blah design and part testimony to how much the game has changed since the late 90s. When that course was built 15 was just a three shot hole and no one (certainly no one who was ever going to play he course) would have ever even given a thought to try to carry the wash with a drive. Now weekend guys who can’t break 90 can nonetheless hit it a very long way.

The back nine really should be the strength of the course but it really isn’t. 11-12 are good holes being choked out by overgrown desert vegetation. 14-17 are overdesigned. 10 and 18 both feel more like the front nine and kinda squeezed in.

1 Like