Roll call: Phoenix/Scottsdale

I am planning on joining.

1 Like

I’m down

2 Likes

Yo is this rain anything to worry about? I know it’s a Desert, but this is a lot of rain. Should be fine for your two-ball, but what about tomorrow at we-ko-pa?? :grimacing:

It’s not looking good for rain today.

Trying to find a tee time for next Friday when I am in town, the prices are legitimately insane right now. Anyone have any recommendations for a decent course under $200 in the North East valley?

North East valley (aka Scottsdale?) is a no go. Regardless of price, finding a tee time a week out on a Friday could be impossible. All the local rates are open so tee times are pretty much gone.

Your best bet is probably TPC Champions hoping something opens up.

2 Likes

Yeah should’ve said North or East. Could go up into cave creek area or out to fountain hills, just didn’t want to drive further than that. Guess it is similar to SD right now where you have to jump on times when they come out. Can’t believe how pricey WeKoPa is these days, used to be $100!

1 Like

This is the the real high season (apart from WM/SB week, which is a while separate thing). WKP at $290 is a steal compared to the absolute daylight robbery going on at Troon North or TPC this time of year. And those are at least good(ish) courses; don’t even get me started on the Phoenician which has this weird competitive pricing thing where they feel like their rates should be in the same ballpark as Troon even though their course mostly stinks.

In general, the point is a good one. Golf everywhere is dumb expensive but I have a really hard time looking at AZ prices and wanting to play anywhere here in the winter.

2 Likes

Great vibes out there today with @Waffles @beriganr and @RolandOfGilead . What a wild match. Y’all hit me up next time you’re in the Bay Area so I can return the hospitality.

Here’s one of @RolandOfGilead stuffing it TIGHT

9 Likes

It was great to meet you! Looking forward to teeing it up again.

3 Likes

Yeah for sure, it’s a bummer that the reality of living somewhere with destination-year-round golf is that the high seasons price out most normal people from wanting to play at the exorbitant rates.

I was able to get a a tee time booked for Friday at Dove Valley Ranch for $160, not terrible for a decent RTJ Jr track that is usually in nice shape. Are some of the holes dumb? Yes, but they can’t all be perfect!

2 Likes

Indeed they are

1 Like

I’m deciding right now to hit less than driver on 12, 14, & 15. #SensibleLayups

2 Likes

Coming out in a few weeks from Ohio to kick some rust off the game coming out of winter. Since we might be hitting it sideways, not looking to spend $300 per round on penal desert golf. Plan is to mix in one expensive round with some budget options.

Current tee times and prices with taxes/fees:
Papago - $160
Grand Canyon - $95
Wigwam (Gold) - $69 (twilight)
WeKoPa Saguaro - $315

Any there any other budget courses we are missing? Should we sub out Grand Canyon for Aguila? Is wigwam worth playing and should we play the Gold course? Staying downtown, so seems like we can get anywhere in 20-30 minutes.

The itinerary looks pretty good for what you described that you wanted. What day/time are you planning to play Grand Canyon? If it’s a weekend round, getting a decent morning time at Aguila will probably not happen unless you get luckily with a cancellation within the 7-day public booking window.

2 Likes

If you’re going to play a Wigwam course, Gold is probably the one. It’s fine but I’m not a huge fan of the course. Was an RTJ hat’s ben renovated so many times that it doesn’t really know what it is anymore.

You could try Longbow or Legacy as places that might give you a reasonable twilight deal.

Other option is always the short course at Mountain Shadows which is an 18 hole par 3 on the north slope of Camelback Mountain. Can be a bit pricey for a par 3 course but it’s an excellent design and well-maintained. The views are phenomenal as well.

Aguila is better than GCU, if only because you’re more out in the desert, as opposed to GCU which is just kinda right there in the city, but otherwise I never really have much reason to complain about CGU since the renovation. Much easier to get a tee time there so it should treat you fine.

1 Like

Grand Canyon tee time is 7:30 on a Tuesday morning. Didn’t realize Aguila doesn’t open their tee sheet up until 7 days out. That’s tough, but will try to get in there.

Appreciate it and will look into Longbow and Legacy.

To give you an idea of the current typical Aguila booking situation. This is what 9 days out look like if you have the local city card. Next Wednesday’s tee times opened up less than 16 hours ago haha.

Truly a tough scene for the non card holders.

1 Like

I would second the Longbow recommendation. Fantastic course. One of my absolute favorites.

You could also grab Aguila for that twilight round as well. I’d say it’s a better course than Legacy.

Lookout Mountain might be worth a look as well. I’ve always enjoyed the course. Might be slightly hot take.

1 Like