Roll call: Phoenix/Scottsdale

TIL that the LPGA is making its return to the Valley and will be out at Superstition Mountain March 23-26. Nest’s own @LPondgolf will be playing as well. I’ll plan on going out there over the weekend (doubt I can make the weekdays work with work) and would love to get a group together to go and support.

6 Likes

Damn, I’m spending my available weekends playing with you all. This would/will be awesome.

2 Likes

Just packed my golf bag, are we gonna be in shorts weather on Friday??? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’m counting on it. @Waffles and I are both proper inseam enthusiasts too.

3 Likes

Low of 40 with a high of mid 60s. Sir, that’s damn near parka weather.

1 Like

Is the last spot still open? If so count me in

3 Likes

We’re out in the afternoon. Shorts and a sweater or vest is :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

1 Like

I believe it’s yours. @Waffles confirm?

2 Likes

Yup. Spot was open. @beriganr is in.

2 Likes

If i were to have a round solo on a Thursday prior to a bachelor weekend and wanted to treat myself of the two greyhawk and two troon north courses can someone provide a quick and dirty preference list 1-4 ?

1 Like

Dont think ill have the time to trek too far outside the scottsdale area sadly.

1 Like

If you can swing Wi-Ko-Pa/Talking Stick I’d say those are both ahead in my book.

Otherwise I’d go say Greyhawk>Troon but they are pretty equivalent. The restaurant situation at Greyhawk gives it the edge imo.

1 Like

Thank you!

Ive played the south course at TS …do need to go back and play the North…

For some reason thought we ko pa was further outside of town a la wickenberg ranch but east.

Will place that one on the last.

Preference to the saguaro at wekopa?

1 Like

The Wi-Ko-Pa course are mega accessible from Scottsdale.

Saguaro is my favorite course in the area. Cholla would be a 3/4 on the list if we ranked them all.

The TS courses are also both amazing. And the North course is the better one but in a play it 5 times and it grows on you style.

1 Like

What are the deets for Friday? Still looking at 2:40?

Also, whose name should I drop when I get there? I’m guessing it’s not under @Waffles. I tried that last time I played with him and the guy in the pro shop just gave me a look.

1 Like

No luck finding anything earlier. Should be under Barker.

1 Like

All good, next nonstop flight out wasn’t til 10:20, so we good

We-Ko-Pa Saguaro is the best public course in the state and its really not close. (If the wind blows, Southern Dunes can kinda get in the conversation, but that’s not convenient to Scottsdale.)

To me, Talking Stick North (which is now known as O’odham) is the next best course. But I do agree with @Waffles and caution people who might just be seeing it once on a trip that it may not wow under those circumstances. If you’re a GCA nerd or C&C fan like myself, then sure, otherwise, it’s more of a grower than a shower.

Otherwise…

I think both Cholla (at WeKoPa) and both Troon courses are pretty close. All are classic target style desert golf, which is unique and pretty and a fun way to challenge your game now and then … but also kinda brutal and gets old quick, especially given what they charge non-locals. If pressed, I’d probably go TN Monument, Cholla, TN Pinnacle, but we’re splitting hairs here. They’re all very good examples of that kind of golf.

Grayhawk Raptor is a fine Fazio course if that’s your jam. You may enjoy watching this year’s NCAAs a bit more having played there. It’s very much a desert course but not as much of a target course as the three above and it sits down among mesquite trees more so the views aren’t quite as dramatic either.

My one real note of caution would just be to say that I don’t think that much of Grayhawk Talon. They keep it in good shape and there are a few fun holes but overall it’s just not a good enough course to ask the same rates that all the rest of the courses in this post do (not that any of these courses are necessarily “worth” what they charge this time of year but that’s a conversation for a separate thread). Gary Panks, who designed Talon, is the same guy who designed the muni a lot of us are playing this weekend in the Tumbleweed Two Man event and that muni is a better design–but Grayhawk is in Scottsdale and has the budget to be lush all year round so they can charge 4 times as much. Skip that one.

7 Likes

Thank you!! Had the addution of another dude that is getting in a day early so will throw your feedback his way.

If I get there early enough, I’ll make a quick loop around the 9 hole short course before our tee time. I should get there around 1. Would love to pay with a fellow sicko. Cc: @beriganr @Waffles

2 Likes