Roll call: Phoenix/Scottsdale

I posted over in the event thread, but we’re coming to a fork in the road for the February event…possible first Roost event?

Right now we have 20 signed up, the goal was to have ~70 to be around $200/person for all day golf

Question for everybody is do you (yes, you) feel like you could each drum up a friend or 5 interested in all day golf in Feb?

Or do you possibly have beef with someone on this message board and want to challenge them to a duel?

There will be a pretty hefty deposit due soon for the course rental, otherwise we change gears and discuss just having a block of tee times at CC.

Thoughts?

1 Like

So I’ve linked the event in a couple of other threads over the past few weeks and it doesn’t seem to be gaining any traction.

It may be a good idea to start shifting towards just a SW Roost event/meetup that awards more season-long points* to the top finishers. I’m not sure what the course price costs are, but would it make sense to see if we could just block out all tee times from 12 or 1 to close? Sunset will be 6pm, so hoping we’d still be able to fit in a 5hr round.

Maybe we have a warmup or seeding round over at The 500 Club Futures Course in the morning, then drive 15 min to Cave Creek for the afternoon round.

*Season-long points format TBD

2 Likes

I’m with Kyle here. Could I find some interested friends? Possibly leaning towards likely but part of the fun of the event for me was hopefully getting some national Nesters in Phoenix to hang out for a day. If there isn’t much interest outside of those of us in the valley then we may as well shift it towards being a Roost event.

2 Likes

Hello Friends.

I am shamefully creating the latest in a long line of - “Do you even (want to) Sherpa?” - posts from Canucks giving the middle finger to a northern season of golf-hibernation.

I’m gunna be in Phoenix from Jan 1-21 and have 1 round at Saguaro on the books for the 12th as my only confirmed round atm. I’m not so much looking for recommendations as I’ve scrolled my tits off in here doing apathetic course research in an effort to avoid any well articulated “per my last email” type responses that only the think tank of a interweb message board could provide. :laughing:

Anyway, It would be great to find some time over the first few weeks of January to meet up with any/ all folks to talk airports/ grocery scenes/ public works projects while I’m down there.

Talents include but are not limited to:

• Making conversation with complete strangers for roughly 4 hours
  • Treating cart girls with respect
  • Quite literally never offering swing advice
  • Well behaved amongst strangers (The over/under on audible “Fucks” to be set at 0.5)
  • Have never “club twirled”
  • Will play anywhere aka - Have clubs, will travel
  • Ability to buy Alcohol. (Though in the effort of transparency, personally, I won’t drink any)

It’s looking like I’ll be booking times on some online resellers (TeeOff/ etc.) to use the capitalist custom of supply and demand to my advantage, getting to as many decent tracks as I can. But if anyone wants to play I’ll just work that around whatever times work best for yous guys.

Thanks fellow sicko’s.

5 Likes

Is this per shot? Hole?

2 Likes

Per round, but the handicapper is a bit of a shmuck, and the sharp money is hitting the over pretty hard. Line might be dancing.

I’ve booked a foursome at Cave Creek on Sunday 1/9 at 9:52.

Edit: all spots claimed

I am interested in one of the spots. We are set to arrive on the 4th if all goes well, and I want to make Cave Creek my home course. I played with your group last April. Dan

1 Like

I’ll take the open spot if still available!

1 Like

Fuuhk.

Sorry I missed this man, and thanks for the invite.

And I don’t want to come on tooo thirrsty, but I can handle the booking if you let me know what ur availability’s like / if you want to get a round in.

So I was able to book the foursome through my Phoenix City Card account with it’s 9 day booking window. If you’re able to play that day you’re welcome to join, and everyone can just pay for themselves when they check in.

Ok thats perfect, Im in :+1:

I hastily misread that as today at 9:52 and thought you guys would be on 14 green by now.

Thanks for holding a place and see you Sunday

1 Like

Proud MN refuge member here >> I’ll be down in the Phoenix area with my clubs the week of 1/22 and am trying to find a game for Thursday 1/27. Any Estancia, Whisper Rock, or Silverleaf members on this roll call interested in playing? Happy to let this be a quid pro quo arrangement in exchange for a future round at my home course in Minnesota: White Bear Yacht Club, the famed Willy Watson / Don Ross 1915 track).

Shoot me a DM if this is of interest! Looking forward to some desert golf & a week of MUCH warmer weather.

2 Likes

Lol, without shame! I respect it. None that I know of, I’d see if your pro at WBYC could blow in a call.

2 Likes

My handicap from my old home state of WI is up & I’m due to join with the AGA. I don’t play consistently at any one course, but have been playing the Phoenix city muni’s the most as of late. Is joining the online “AZ Golf Club” the easiest route? Or are there any incentives to join through a course?

1 Like

I’ve honestly never understood this, one year I had Starfire and now have been through Southern Dunes for two years. No known benefits or at least that I’ve realized existed.

1 Like

The default answer is always no unless you ask! & I plan on doing just that, but always more fun trying to coordinate with fellow Refuge members.

I’m through We-Ko-Pa but didn’t even get out to play there last year. No benefit, really, but it doesn’t cost any more than “AZ Golf Club” and sure looks a lot better as a home club.

@pushdraw you don’t have your hdcp through MV?

2 Likes

So I’m not a “full” member, they do not offer for me

Sounds like it’s time to officially end the rent out Cave Creek idea.

What are everyone’s thoughts on this?

Phoenix February Ryder Super Bowl Cup (Working Title – please think of something better)

Date: Friday 2/11

Do you like the Ryder Cup?

• Yes

What is your favorite football team?

• Cardinals or Packers – You’re on Team NFC
  • Raiders or Steelers – You’re on Team AFC
  • Don’t care for NFL – You’re on whatever team needs players

Format – In order to get 3 “rounds” in, lets go to either the 500 Club or Aguila Golf Course

• Morning/Mid-Morning: Two loops around the 9 Hole Course
    • 1st round – Four-ball
    • 2nd round – Foursomes (Alt Shot)
      • 500 Club: $24 total for the 2 loops
      • Aguila: $30 total for the 2 loops
  • Afternoon Round: 18 hole course
    • Singles
      • 500 Club: $72 w/ cart included (can still walk if you’d like)
      • Aguila: $56 walk / $73 ride (before 1) - $39 walk / $52 ride (after 1)

Trophy – Since “Bowl Cup” is tentatively part of the name, I’m just picturing gluing a cup of some kind in a bowl and calling it a day.

Charity – I’m thinking on top of greens fees, everyone chips in $10-$20 and the pot is donated to TBD

The prices above are just taken from the courses’ websites. I haven’t given each a call yet to see if there might be a group deal. Just seeing if there is still interest in an event like this first.

2 Likes