Roll Call: Orlando, FL Golfers

Strong recommendation for World Woods in Brooksville. Both courses are good, but most folks I know prefer Pine Barrens. The rate is normally about $70-100, but I’ve gotten on for $20. Sign up for their newsletter and you can find pretty good deals there.

Oh, and ping me if you want to go. Happy to meet up with Refugees.

Played Championsgate International today and hated it. Course was in great shape, but nowhere to miss. I could see it being a lot more enjoyable in the winter time when the “native” areas aren’t completely overgrown. This time of year, expect to spend a lot of time hiking through long grass looking for your ball.

I was close to an hour and half or so but did have to wait on a few shots. Combined with the group behind me after 3 holes to make life easier for both of us.

1 Like

I’m going to be in Orlando on business this coming week. Any Orlando Refugees care to join me for a round (or two, or three) at WP9? I’ll be available Sunday, from about 11am on.

Hey fellow Orlando/FL refugees. Going to be around the orlando area this weekend and looking to try and get out to Winter Park on Saturday afternoon. Weather doesn’t look promising, but figure I’d at least put it out there.

Let me know if anyone is down for a round.

I went to UF for 7 years. Hope you’re enjoying Gainesville so far. Played most of my golf at the UF course and Turkey Creek in Alachua, which I hear has closed.

I’m sure you know this by now, but Ironwood is the local muni. Probably played there 10-15 times and never particularly enjoyed it. It’s a typical, tree-lined, tight course with uninspiring greens. I actually preferred Meadowbrook, a Steve Smyers course west of I-75, but heard it recently closed.

As far as Strapped-style courses go, I would recommend Ocala Golf Club or Palatka Golf Club, which is a scruffy place supposedly designed by Ross.

If you’re up for driving a little further, you could run down to World Woods. My favorite of the two is Pine Barrens. They always have reasonable rates in the summer. World Woods has lost some of its luster, but was a pretty big deal back in the 90s. I still think it’s a lot of fun.

Hey everyone, I’ll be in Orlando for my honeymoon at Disney coming up here in October and I’m looking for some recs on where to play. Already planning on playing WP9 while we’re at Universal.

Obviously Streamsong is nearly 2 hours away. Is it worth making the drive for one round? Are there great courses that would save me all that driving? I know nothing, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks all!

I don’t know if you’re getting away with a two hour drive on your honeymoon, unless you’re either golfing together or you’re paying for a spa treatment, but in my opinion they are worth the drive if you can swing it.

If you’re staying in the Disney area, I would play Grand Cypress New Course, Tranquilo, or either of the two 18 hole courses at Orange County National.

If you want to drive a little bit further (30-45 min) Bella Collina or Mission Inn El Campeon are good bets.

The Disney courses are ok, but nothing out of the ordinary. Celebration golf club is also decent and close by.

1 Like

I’d throw my support towards Orange County National, as well as Reunion for the South side of town.

I played Shingle Creek about 3 months ago for a charity event and had a blast. Conditions were great. The revamp they did a few years ago has made some really fun holes. Most holes are setup to look tighter than they really are off the tee. There is almost always plenty of room to play away from any water on the hole.

1 Like

I second Orange County National and Shingle Creek is pretty solid. Play there after work during the week and in good shape.

Hawks Landing is real close to Disney and a decent track. Also Agree Celebration is fun course to play

Any locals have insight on what is happening over at Grand Cypress these days?

Our group is in town next week, and really want to play the New Course. Not finding tee times anywhere, but their website indicated business as usual.

Yes, it is closing. They are redeveloping the golf villas. I think the New Course will continue to operate while that happens, but the other 3 nines are closing for sure.

Managed to play one last round on North/South Sunday. It was the last day N/S/E were open for play, they are saying the roundup trucks arrive this week. Place was in perfect shape, seams like a shame.
2-3 year re-design, only keeping 2 or 3 holes. Also includes bulldozing the clubhouse and starting over there too.

Folks - I’ll be down in Winter Park / New Smyrna for Thanksgiving for 7 days. About half and half on time in each place.

My brother in law (who is not a huge golfer, but his dad is a member and hasn’t played elsewhere in years) is getting me and my dad on Interlachen. Don’t think I’ll be able to get out to Streamsong. I’ve looked through the thread, but if you had one public course where would it be?

I’m also looking for recommendations on anything on the way to New Smyrna. Thanks!

I will be in Orlando for December 9th-13th. I am planning on playing on the evening of the 9th, 11th and the morning of the 13th. I am coming down with a coworker who will also be playing. Anyone else want to join. We are thinking Winter Park and not sure what else.

I am visiting Orlando, as well and planning to play Winter Park the morning of Dec 2nd (Monday). Would that work for you? Any other refugees not going back to work that Monday, and willing to play a round of golf :slight_smile:

Hello all. Native Floridian here — been in Orlando for the past decade or so after finishing school. Took up golf a little more than a year ago and am completely hooked. The Winter Park 9 is a favorite of mine. I’m always looking for playing partners, so gimme a shout if in the area.

Peace!

3 Likes

I’d play Deltona Golf Club between Orlando and New Smyrna. The layout is unreal for the money. The conditions can be hit or miss. Always fun though.

You can play Victoria Hills as well.

1 Like