Roll Call: Orlando, FL Golfers

What part of town are you staying in?

1 Like

Close to Epcot? Don’t mind driving we have a rental

The Disney area is outside of my wheelhouse for restaurant recommendations. Disney Springs might be worth checking out but others can probably chime in there. It wouldn’t be my first option personally.

Near the airport in Lake Nona is a place called Nona Blue that is owned by Graeme McDowell. That place should check the boxes of good cocktails, vibes and steaks. Their Polynesian Ribeye is one of my favorite steaks in town.

The Winter Park area has a ton of great restaurants. Some of my favorites (in no particular order) that also check your boxes include:
-Hillstone Winter Park
-The Ravenous Pig
-The Taproom at Dubsdread
-Prato (Italian but usually has some steak options)

1 Like

Jaleo or The Boathouse if you’re gonna go Disney Springs. Any of the above are excellent with Hillstone being my favorite of the bunch.

1 Like

+1 for all of @bogeytax 's recommendations!

Highly recommend taking a visit to Winter Park - lots of shops and a great little walk on the main drag or neighborhood. Plenty of spots to sit outside for a drink or meal.

I’m a fan of The Ravenous Pig and Prato. I try to stop at one of those two whenever I’m in Orlando.

It goes without saying but if you have your clubs, it doesn’t get better than the Winter Park 9 (WP9) for a loop.

1 Like

El Patron isn’t far from where you are, best artisan tacos you’ll ever have.

Thanks to you and @bogeytax I will be headed there either way but excited to hear good news!!

1 Like

Airport question. Are there any strong opinions on MCO vs TPA for a trip to Streamsong? TPA looks like a little closer but wondering about traffic (drive from airport to Streamsong would be around Noon on a weekday). Any other benefits or detractors for either airport?

I have lived in either Orlando or Tampa my entire life and have flown extensively out of both MCO and TPA. I would fly into TPA unless you’re flying Jet Blue and can fly into the new MCO Terminal C which is completely detached from the main A/B terminals. TPA is great. MCO can leave much to be desired.

2 Likes

This might be the nicest thing I’ve ever heard about MCO

3 Likes

I never have any issues flying in or out of MCO. The main A/B terminals are not “nice” and could use a major facelift. The new terminal C is pretty solid though. TPA is just overall much easier.

1 Like

I’ve only don’t the older terminals so that’s all I I have to go by. I much prefer TPA, which might be my favorite airport.

2 Likes

1000% fly into Tampa. The MCO is a junk show from November to May. Impossible to get clubs and a rental car in a decent timeframe.

TPA is one of the most efficient airports in the country. Can have your bags and a car rented in about 20 mins after touchdown. Exactly one hour to Streamsong with no traffic.

Honestly, I’d fly into Sarasota/Bradenton before booking through Orlando.

1 Like

Headed with a group of 8 guys down to Orlando/Kissimmee for a Wed-Sunday getaway in mid-March. We’re a mixed golf group (scratch-20 handicaps) that enjoy good cold courses but also some are not willing to drive and pay the $ for Streamsong (very sadly). I’ve gotten some advice from previous posts, but if we had 4-5 rounds to play.

Could you help advise on “best of the best” for us? Here’s what our planner listed so far:

• Tranquilo
  • Mission Inn
  • Southern Dunes
  • Shingle Creek
  • Orange Lake
  • ChampionsGate
  • Bayhill
  • OCN

Thanks!

1 Like

Southern Dunes, Orange Lake (Legends), ChampionsGate CC, Grand Cypress (not listed), & Bay Hill would be my picks

4 Likes
  • Four Seasons/Tranquilo (stay n’ play required?)
  • Bay Hill (stay n’ play required?)
  • Grand Cypress
  • Southern Dunes
  • [Wild Card]

Your planner has indeed identified some of the best resort offerings, but unless you’ve some higher level of access than just picking up the phone, you may find that the nicest two require stay and play during peak season.

3 Likes

I would do this but switch out Orange Lake Legends for Tranquilo. Can’t go wrong with either though.

4 Likes

Echoing what the others are saying just to add that Grand Cypress - Links Course is the one I would prioritize out of all of them.

2 Likes

Thanks - one more thing. How is the Ritz Carlton GC at Grand Lakes given Tiger/Charlie return at PNC?

The Ritz Carlton was in phenomenal shape when I played it earlier this year. A couple of the holes were shortened due to construction on-site but it was a fun course for sure. Not sure if it’s worth the $ given the other quality options in the area but you won’t be let down by conditioning if you play there.