Roll Call: Orlando, FL Golfers

Like @bogeytax said, you’ll need to be very diligent to guarantee your tee time at WP9. They get posted online really early in the morning, so set an alarm.

Budget 10hrs of golf at OCN, so keep that in mind as you try to book 36.

Conditions dependent, but Celebration could be a good pair with Grand Cypress. I’d do Celebration in the morning and Grand Cypress in the afternoon.

2 Likes

In case you weren’t already aware…The magnolia course is being renovated at the moment and only 14holes are in play. Not sure when it will reopen.
That means if you want to do 36 at Disney you will have to travel between the Palm and LBV, cutting into your time.

Ah good point I forgot they were even renovating. Haven’t been out there in quite a while.

Appreciate all the info, thanks! I see that I can already book tee times at Grand Cypress and Celebration. Does 7:30 at Grand Cypress followed by 1:45 at Celebration seem like a reasonable gap between for drive time and a quick bite? Not a sit down meal, just a quick refuel.

1 Like

That’s probably enough time for a sit down lunch at either clubhouse, or along the way.

1 Like

Also any recommendations for a nice dinner for the boys?

My friends and I had a really fun time playing the 9 hole course called “The Tooth” at the end of our day and I’d highly recommend it if you have some time to fill. I wouldn’t bother booking a tee time for the :tooth: if you decide to play even though you can through the website. It’s at the end of the driving range and the vibe is that you can just walk out and play.

The courses are fun at OCN but the clubhouse and rest of the facilities aren’t very nice at all so I wouldn’t count on hanging out there for anything beyond lunch.

Have a great trip!

1 Like

A better question for Andy or one of the other Orlando locals. Lots of chain restaurants of all cuisines in the area, and then the fancier options within resort hotels like the Hyatt and Four Seasons.

1 Like

Charley’s Steakhouse is across the street from Celebration. It’s a local group of restaurants and Charley’s has always been great.

1 Like

Anyone from Central FL wanna grab a spot for this Sunday at Eagle Creek?

All filled up.

Hello again everyone. Our Orlando golf trip is coming up in less than 2 weeks. We are planning on doing 36 Friday and Saturday, and 9 on Thursday as long as there are no flight issues.

We have booked for Friday- Grand Cypress at 8:10 and Shingle Creek at 2:00
and for Saturday the 2 Orange County courses for 7:58 and 1:20.

A friend of ours who has golfed all over FL has strongly recommended playing Southern Dunes and there is a tee time available for Saturday morning. Thoughts on cancelling the Orange County courses and playing Southern Dunes? Also any courses that work well logistically with it for an afternoon round, 9 or 18? Thanks again!

2 Likes

You’re headed back into central Orlando for Saturday night? If so, Celebration GC would still be a good pair, right off I-4 as you made your way back.

I’d play 36 of Southern Dunes/Celebration over the 36 of OCN, but others may have different thoughts.

7 Likes

This is the way

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! We’re staying near Lake Buena Vista. Safe to assume 8:10 at Southern Dunes and 2:20 at Celebration is plenty of time to not be rushing and grab something to eat?

1 Like

I think so. 20-30 min drive between the two courses. Both courses have restaurants, and you’ll see plenty of options at the Hwy 27/I-4 interchange as well as the convergence of I-4/417/192 at Celebration.

Hello Y’all,

My extended family (all northeastern folks) enjoyed thanksgiving in Orlando so much last year we are running it back this year. I know winter park 9 had some trouble last year with their greens anybody been recently and able to comment on course conditions? I love the place so will play regardless but won’t invite some of my more bag tag inclined family if it’s not in good shape. (It’s my favorite 9 hole course and don’t want them to take away from my experience.)

I played last week with @hornett and I thought the greens and overall course conditions were good. Can’t recall anything in particular really being off other than my game :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Last year we had the irrigation pumps get zapped in a hurricane so they spent a long time repairing but it’s all good and back to normal.

Out of towner chiming in. Love the Celebration suggestion! Had some family that lived there for a long time and always loved that course. Still rock it as my 3W head cover years later

hey everyone! coming into town Thursday night for a short trip. I was wondering if anyone had any great dinner recommendations? Good Cocktails, good vibes maybe a great steak? Thank you!