Roll Call: Orlando, FL Golfers

Looks like the city of Winter Park is buying Winter Pines. Would be interesting if they gave it the WP9 treatment with a good renovation.

5 Likes

From what I’ve heard this isn’t happening anytime soon but will hopefully happen down the road! Fingers crossed. Tough to pull it off in that dense of a residential area.

1 Like

For sure. I’ve maybe played there twice over the last three years due to the slow rounds and poor conditions. Would love to see it in better shape and played at a good pace regularly.

Just catching up on this and kind of blown away by Streamsong Black being higher up the list than the Stadium Course. Care to elaborate?

1 Like

I confess that I like everything about Streamsong so maybe I am biased.

I found the Stadium course at Sawgrass to be a bit too contrived…felt like I was playing on a tv set or movie set as opposed to a piece of land that became a golf
course….just a bit artificial…as if I was at a golf resort. A bit corporate.

By contrast, I liked the isolation and linksy feeling of Black.

That’s reasonable, though none of those things bother me at all.

The Stadium Course is a test – a final exam even – of your ability to hit the required shots (or take your medicine when you can’t).

I’d play the Stadium Course 10 times out of 10 if I had to choose between it and Streamsong Black, which I thought was just a silly golf course with poor views, especially compared to the Blue and Red courses.

1 Like

My two scores at Black were actually higher than at Sawgrass.

Because of the greens. and the undulations.

Didnt find Black silly though I could see why some wouldnt like it. I was paired with one guy who was a member of Lahinch, one guy who was a member of Old Head/Hogs Head and a third who was a brother of one of them. All originally from Ireland but living in Boston. They all liked Black and thought it was a good test, especially in the wind.

@Big_RanDeer - finally found the roost. Thanks for coming all the way to pinehurst to find me on the range and tell me about it :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Raffle is live for the Abandoned Dudes Classic, we have some awesome prizes up for grabs

1 Like

Does anyone know where I can swing an AutoFlex shaft in or around Orlando? Already tried Club Champion and the PGA TOUR SS to no avail.

Have you tried calling GolfTec or Champions gate? Idk what they carry but worth asking.

Good call, those will be next!

Taking my 15 year old to Orlando a few days before our family vacation for some golf. I have played several of the courses in the area (Celebration, Champions Gate, Falcon’s Fire, OCN, Disney Magnolia) but always in January. Any advice for choosing courses in great condition in mid June? Any others I am missing?

The Disney courses are probably a safe bet. A lot of the others you mentioned have been hit or miss in recent years.

1 Like

Any particular order you rank them in?

For the Disney courses - Magnolia, Lake Buena Vista and then the Palm. I enjoy all three though and like playing out there. I can’t recall ever seeing them in bad shape. The only issue I’ve had are some slow rounds.

For the other courses you listed - OCN, Celebration and Falcons Fire. I’ve never played out at Champions Gate. Both courses out at OCN are usually in pretty good shape. I’ve seen Celebration and Falcons Fire in some tough shape. Not sure how they’re looking now.

1 Like

I’d add Grand Cypress Links Course, Shingle Creek, Southern Dunes, Eagle Creek, and North Shore to your list to consider and look for a good rate.

June is a popular month for aeration, so be sure to call the course (don’t trust the website or third party booking sites) for the maintenance schedule. Only course that is really transparent about it is Waldorf Astoria.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great advice!

1 Like

I am travelling to Disney for the family holiday in Easter and have a day of golf to look forward to. Does anyone fancy meeting up for a fourball somewhere? I would love to meet up with some Orlando refugees.
I am looking at the 13th of April, anywhere within an hour of Disney is fine by me, I have a rental car to get around in.

1 Like

If you’re up for some afternoon golf, I would be happy to meet you at WP9 and loop it a couple of times.

1 Like