Roll Call: Orlando, FL Golfers

It is amazing what $500m will buy you. It is shaping up to be a top notch resort in the area. With the New Course and the 18 that they are currently building, it won’t lack decent golf either.

3 Likes

When is their completion window?

They hope to have the golf course open for play sometime next year. They still have a lot of work to do, but it looked like that could be possible. I think the resort target is 2023.

1 Like

I’m down!

3 Likes

I’ve lived in Florida for 14 years and haven’t managed to get out to Southern Dunes yet. Everyone I’ve met that’s mentioned it seems to rave about it, especially the conditioning.

On a separate note, today’s Bobby Weed podcast had me thinking of this juxtaposition of golf architecture given similar site conditions:
C-Suite: Black Diamond Ranch Quarry Course (it’s a Faz!)
Strapped: Brooksville Country Club (Sticky Bobby Weed)

6 Likes

Black Diamond really does look like that too. The quarry holes are stunning.

5 Likes

For sure, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed rounds on both the Quarry and Ranch courses. I’ve also had tons of fun playing the back 9 at Brooksville, making sure no one else is around, and playing the quarry holes again :smile:

4 Likes

Southern Dunes somehow flies under the radar, which I dont hate.

Im honestly surprised that Brooksville CC has not shut down yet. They do not get much play at all, went out there a few months back and played as an 8some and no one else around.

Playing Black Diamond today so I will give you an updated picture of the Quarry holes.

2 Likes

Dang that’s sweet looking

2 Likes

I think the course was originally only 9 holes, and Weed was hired to build the second nine on property that includes an old limestone quarry.

12 is a short par 4 with a split fairway with distinct levels. If you go right, you end up with a blind approach. The pic above is from 13 tee, a longer par 4. The mega line is to take on the left fairway bunker. I think the par 3 carved in the wall is 17. Haven’t been there in a while, but the back 9 is a ton of fun.

Planning a golf trip to North Tampa Area in January - Honing in on three courses:
World Woods, Southern Hills Plantation and Black Diamond Ridge.

How would you guys rank these three courses? I have seen a lot of feedback on WW so more so looking for insight about Black Diamond Ridge and Southern Hills? Looking to play 36-36 and possibly 18 on the last day. Appreciate your help.

1 Like

I haven’t played Black Diamond but heard it’s amazing. As far as I know it’s private with the exception of doing a stay and play at one of their model homes. @OffTheDole could probably speak more to this.

Both courses are great at WW. I prefer Rolling Oaks over Pine Barrens but both are fun, quirky Fazio courses.

Between WW and Southern Hills, I liked Southern Hills more.

Where are you planning on staying? Orlando proper has tons of quality golf as well. Orange County National has two great courses, the New Course at Grand Cypress is supposed to be good. And Winter Park 9 is a must if you’re in the area for two hours.

Or you could go south of Orlando and hit up Streamsong.

Edit: somehow forgot Bayhill in Orlando as well, but I think that’s a stay and play only.

1 Like

Thanks appreciate your help.

Was initially thinking of booking an airbnb up that way and playing 36 WW and 36 Southern Hills plantation.

Maybe now try and parlay a stay and play at Black Diamond Ridge for 36 one day and 36 at Southern Hills and maybe catch another public course in Tampa on the way back to the airport.

We usually do a 12 man trip in November and have hit Orlando twice. Enjoyed OCN and loved Grand Cypress. Yeah streamsong looks awesome but it seems like a lot of $$$ with the stay and play.

How would you map out an Orlando weekend in Jan if you could go 36-36-18? Ideally we would rent house/ not stay and play. We are looking to go the 3 day weekend in Jan. Let me know.

1 Like

Where in Orlando are you looking? I’d consider Southern Dunes, Reunion & Championsgate which are closer to the Disney area.

I’ve lived in Orlando for about 10 years happy to help answer any questions.

3 Likes

Thanks - Just kind of brainstorming now. I have not played any of those courses. All of them well maintained? Looking to check out some new tracks in Orlando - Thanks

Courses in Orlando I have played are OCN, Grand Cypress, Shingle Creek, Waldorf and Celebration

Both the Quarry and Ranch courses at Black Diamond Ranch are great. The Quarry course gets more attention for those (Tourist Sauce buzzword) crescendo quarry holes, but the non-quarry holes on the Quarry course and the Ranch course are similar. The Ranch course is a lot like Soly’s description of Portland GC - maybe no 9 or 10 holes, but a lot of 8 holes.

Only played WW Pine Barrens once a few years ago, but enjoyed it. Fewer frills than the facilities at BDR, but it seemed like a good value. I’d still want to play BDR first. Haven’t gotten to Southern Hills Plantation yet, but it’s constant use for qualifiers and Q-schools has to say something about it. If you need a mid-tier alternative near BDR, Skyview @ Terra Vista is a decent track in that same area.

Separately, I’m trying out Southern Dunes for the first time next Saturday (11/21) with my dad. If any Refugees would like to join, its the 9:51am tee time. I only booked for 2, so there’s still 2 spots available for now.

3 Likes

Yes, all of them are well maintained. BDR Quarry is fun, I played there a couple weeks ago and it was in great shape and can assume it will look even better come peak season. Pine Barrens is also a ton of fun so you really can’t go wrong at World Woods.

1 Like

Celebration is a great track, but I played it about a month ago and it was struggling with some kind of invasive grass in patches on the greens. The conditions there are usually immaculate, but that wasn’t the case for that recent round. Hopefully they’ve got a handle on it.

@chawdog500 Black Diamond Ranch is in the middle of nowhere but is accessible from Tampa I guess. The courses there are really cool but the stay & play may be the only option for getting on (as far as I know) and it’s a bit pricey.

I’ll agree with @Schikolas that Streamsong is a good option too.

3 Likes

2nd for champions gate cc. Falcons fire is a nice substitute for celebration. The Disney courses and hawks landing are worth a visit too.