Roll Call: Omaha/Lincoln

OCC is only one I can think of.

I figure the Omaha thread will be pretty quiet in winter, so here’s some random Nebraska golf chat:

Quarry Oaks will be closed all of 2023. They’re re-grassing the tees/fairways/greens with bent. Working on some green complexes. Adding about 50 bunkers. And removing “a ton” of trees.

I asked the pro about it before we played a few weeks back to get the info. I’m sure it will make sense but even keeping an eye out for it there aren’t too many trees in play, and I feel like they could remove 500 trees from the in-between sections and I wouldn’t notice. Maybe just getting better airflows and such.

It is impressive that they’re trying this. I would worry the year’s loss of green fees and corporate rentals will be hard to get back. I don’t feel that people weren’t going to Quarry because of the fairway and greens grass type. Maybe their rounds per season was slipping and they had to do something?

2 Likes

Lol as long as they don’t take put the center line trees on the par 5 that make a nice little goal post for me I am good. I am surprised they are going to be closed for a whole year. At $75 plus a round that seems like a lot of lost revenue. Maybe they have a big surplus built up from the past few years. I know the events they do run, like the Impossible Open and such they seem to make a killing on.

I will never understand why Nebraska courses do this if they already have good turf, same with CC of Lincoln’s renovation. Bent is just a vanity project that doesn’t improve conditions or playability, if anything makes it worse.

4 Likes

Say it louder for the people in the back!

3 Likes

50 bunkers

Going to be in town Thursday and Friday, any suggestions for dinner/other things to do? Will be staying at the Peregrine so around that area and the Old Market.

1 Like

You should check out the proof whiskey/cocktail bar downtown, that’ll be right up your alley. You have any foods you’re looking for specifically?

3 Likes

Nothing specific, maybe a non-chain steakhouse one night and something more casual the other?

Jams downtown…great food

3 Likes

Brother Sebastian’s may be the best steakhouse “experience”, very very good steak, imo it’s Spencer’s or Sullivan’s as the best steak.
Casual maybe check out Omaha tap house? Good craft beer/bar food spot
Edit second for jams

2 Likes

I’m not your steakhouse expert but Avoli downtown is the best Italian in Omaha. Make all their own noodles. Good wine to go with. It’s a nice restaurant for sure, but it’s not a super fancy place (then again it’s impossible for anything with Omaha clientele to be fancy/snooty in an east coast sense).

Edit: said wrong italian spot. Meant Via Farina, not Avoli.

2 Likes

Block 16
La Buvette
Mercury
Via Farina
Drover
All top notch and worth looking into

3 Likes

Yikes. When I said Avoli downtown I def meant Via Farina. Thanks @MrHogan5

Omaha Prime and 801 chophouse are also good steak houses downtown. They are a little on the pricey side fyi. I agree with the earlier comment of Brother Sebastian’s great food, good atmosphere, and good price. It is a ways from downtown though. Upstream is always good for a casual meal downtown. If you are willing to go west for a casual meal Railcar is the spot. The owner loves bourbon and wine and always has some really great stuff at a good value.

1 Like

Gonna have half a day to kill in Omaha. Any restaurants, bars, and/or breweries you all recommend?

Should I just hang around the downtown area?

Saw the recommendations around the Peregrine, are those my best bet?

1 Like

If you’re downtown Omaha, above are all good recs. Brickway is another cool brewery downtown with decent enough beer. They’ve recently started distilling too and make good cocktails in their tasting room.

If it’s not too chilly, hit up Ted and Wally’s ice cream. Cool little historic spot.

We are in the process of renovating the Gene Leahy Mall which has some cool sculptures and places to sit. It ultimately will walk all the way out to the Missouri River once its done.

I’ll let @QMany and @shonseymp give their case for why you should drive out to Bearded Brewers

1 Like

Done. Menu looks like…

My jam

YEEAAHHHHHHHHHHH

4 Likes

Just kidding, nothing wrong with a good pun!

1 Like

Outstanding recommendation, just finished dinner and ugh so miserable

4 Likes