Roll Call: Omaha/Lincoln

4 Likes

Iron Horse no good?

What do you know of Iron Horse? Do we need to take that off our list?

Add Indian Creek to your list and your in good shape. Iron horse is like our TCI. Can be very fun but polarizing. Bent Tree worth a look too. Benson and Johnny Goodman are as close as we get to Waveland and Veenker, although those are (probably) better.

1 Like

Awesome thanks. Bent Tree was initially on the list but the greens are currently not in very good shape from what we’ve heard. Indian Creek was going to take it’s place but due to some events they have scheduled that week it won’t work for us.

1 Like

Those three courses, ranked: Tiburon (if you can do the White → Blue routing, the Red nine is the worst of the three), Stone Creek, Shoreline. Tiburon gets a ton of play, same with Stone Creek, but both courses are in pretty good condition right now. Stone Creek also has 27 holes. It’s a short course (think it’s only 6,200 from the tips) and without many hazards or punishing rough, so for a buddies trip it’s a solid option because scoring will be good. They also have a huge driving range, large practice green, and a nice short game area for a public course (including a practice bunker).

I would also consider Johnny Goodman (my favorite public course in Omaha), Benson, and Indian Creek.

1 Like

I doubt this really matters to what he’s looking for, but just FYI they got rid of the practice bunker. It’s just grass around the chipping green now.

1 Like

Not a deal breaker by any means but definitely good info. This is why i look to my fellow Nesters!

If you’re interested in a handful of ok short par 4s, and 6 of the stupidest holes on the planet, go for it.

I’d play Benson, Elmwood or Goodman 10/10 over iron horse.

Tiburon is fine if you have 7 hours set aside for golf.

4 Likes

Yer back.

It’s fine. It’s a resort style course, well maintained, and has a few picturesque holes. On a buddies trip it will feel like you’re playing a “nice course” for not a ton of money.

For people that live around here, and probably speaking for people concerned with scoring and playing well, we don’t go back a ton because many of the holes, in particular the par 5’s, make no sense. Just some weird shit out there.

But your group won’t leave thinking you wasted your money to play it once. Some of the muni’s people mention that are good if you’re playing often (quick to get to and playable) would have you walking off saying “why did we play this course on a trip, again?”"

3 Likes

Shout out to @aanddyy00 in the thread. Good to see you!

Tiburon is indeed the worst pace of play in the city, not to mention a ton of grain on the greens that us midwesterners aren’t used to and you’ll putt like shit. Johnny Dogleg is just as bad of layout as Iron Horse and I can’t figure out the love.

3 Likes

Take Tiburon off the list and replace it with really just about anything. Benson is the best of the best for public courses imo.

Late thought: I would take a strong look at Willow Lakes. A Robert Trent Jones design, fun to play, and for the buddies trip angle I’d suggest renting their golf motorcycles. A great one-time, mix it up experience.

2 Likes

Hey all, I have next week off from work and am looking to schedule a round or two of golf. Anyone up for a Monday or Tuesday lunchtime/early afternoon round at Benson? Looks to be plenty of tee times available. I’m open to driving elsewhere if you’d rather play somewhere else

Indian Creek is the best public course in Omaha and it’s not even close. It’s the second best course within an hour, only behind OCC.

Welcome back, Andy. But your list must have been made smoking that Aaron Rodgers stuff.

4 Likes

What are your thoughts on Quarry Oaks?

1 Like

Very unfriendly to 12+ hcps or anyone who tends to spray it, they will lose all the balls. Beautiful course, especially in fall. Perhaps the most scenic of Lincoln, Omaha, and in between. I find the greens to be very plush but soft for the maintenance level they seem to perform. Enjoyable round.

1 Like

awesome tip on Willow Lakes. That’s going to be the first course we hit now, as i’ve been wanting to try one of those kind of carts since i saw @MerchCzar riding one in Tourist Sauce.

1 Like