Roll Call: Omaha/Lincoln

It’s wild and carts are necessary. Punch bowl and a bunker inside of a green. 700yd par 5. Lots of elevation change. Rattlesnake skins. It’s fun if you let it be fun. Also it would suck if you were not very good at golf.

2 Likes

2 Likes

That’s mindblowing stuff, I love it! Will be there for a bachelor party, so things could get weird, may or may not end up sleeping in said bunker

1 Like

In town from CT for a week… Mostly wedding stuff this year but going to get out tomorrow morning for a Short round. Can anyone recommend a nice beginner friendly laid-back course in Western Omaha / Elkhorn area. Going to take a beginner out with me.

1 Like

Indian Creek IMO is the best but it can be a challenge for beginners. Miracle Hill or the Knolls are good spots for beginners.

2 Likes

We played the one-up tees, but even from tips you wouldn’t need driver much on front 9. Cool bunkering (if overly large areas for staff to maintain that are probably rarely hit into). Some wild fall-offs. A par 5 that could be a 4 and a 4 that could be a 5. It’s all fun tho, you might even have a good score going.

Then hole 11 is Nebraska’s version of those Cape Kidnappers holes with cliffs on both sides, except way narrower. A bunch of greens where if you miss long or on one side your ball is gone (probably had to much a bunch of dirt and did just enough for green). Things will close in on you in a hurry, esp if 10+ hcp and it’s windy. Nothing is straight forward.

If Wildhorse is a steak and potatoes dinner with subtle seasoning cooked to perfection, Bayside is eating sour patch kids for a meal. I’m not even positive the back 9 is that much worse than the front or I just got tired of eating sour patch kids.

It’s literally all in good fun though, because when you go to enter your score in GHIN after the round you’ll see “this course does not have any active or rated tees,” they must of neglected to pay some fee this year. So hit the putting course with a drink and laugh about the ridiculous bunkers you got into and how many balls your group lost.

1 Like

Pacific Springs and Eagle Run are good west Omaha courses for a beginner because they’re a bit shorter than average and you’ll fit in. Perfectly fine courses.

Compared to Connecticut, Indian Creek will seem like an amazing value for the conditioning level but the thick rough and green complexes will absolutely kick a beginner in the face. If they’re into that, could be a fun course to take a look at.

1 Like

This is such a sick comp., I love it. Now I’m really excited for this fall

1 Like

Who else is gonna have their browsers fired up at 5P to make a tee time at Landmand?

2 Likes

Hear a little bit about Bent Tree in Council Bluffs, but dont recall any chatter about it in this thread… thoughts?

OH and what is the pejorative term Nebraskans have for Council Bluffs? Or at least the term people in Omaha have for Council Bluffs?

That good sir would be Council-Tuckey

7 Likes

Bent Tree used to be a top 5 Omaha area course for me. It’s the most fun when we haven’t gotten rain for awhile and you can run the ball into greens. Unfortunately they are known for a mediocre staff, rumors of an asshole club pro, spotty maintenance, and a hefty greens fee for our area. I haven’t been over there this year because I’ve seen they are having some greens issues and not modifying greens fees accordingly. Also new owners this year so maybe it’ll get back to being worth it.

1 Like

Played Bent Tree last summer and thought it was fine, but had heard from a client the other day they’re under new management as of this year, and I guess combined with the dry spring, they’re in a bad spot.

1 Like

This is funny because I played high school golf with the pro there. He has a very dry sense of humor and can come across very direct if you don’t know him.

Hey Errrryyybody!

A little advert for the Roost:

A new season of the roosts is upon us and ive sent out a message addressing some upcoming events and hope to rope as many of you into our roost, which is only getting bigger and better – we hope!

This is a link to the General Discussion post I just created recently. If that won’t connect you to the board, you have to formally request access, and therefore officially join the roost…

It’s a good time had by all, truly. So we hope to see you over there!

1 Like

Fellow Omaha area nesters - in planning a golf trip with some guis the week of the 14th and we’re looking for a course in the Omaha area to start out the trip. With the recent heat conditties are the main concern, and we’ve narrowed it down to Shoreline, Stone Creek, and Tiburon. If any of you could take a minute to rank those or offer any insight it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Quarry Oaks, Iron Horse, and Woodland Hills are already on the itinerary.

I’ve lived in Iowa all my life and it’s always been Council-Tuckey on this side of the river too. Not to be confused with that car dealership - which is “Ooooooon BOTH sides of the river.” (possibly a narrow window for that joke to land though)

2 Likes

If you’re able to add on Indian Creek, its the week after the Pinnacle Bank Championship, and its always cool to play amongst the grandstands.
Otherwise… Stone Creek > Tiburon > Shoreline, none of them are particularly great, but fine local places to play.

3 Likes

i wanted to drop in and advise any and all Nesters and Roosters to watch this space… an event is dropping soon, tee times are booked, and we are looking for a solid turnout!

this is a @GreatPlainsGC event, but will be open to ALL players, FYI

3 Likes