Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

Blue tees at Boulder Creek on the 18th handicap par 3 12th were at 215 to the middle yesterday (downhill, downwind, but still). Random pairing today with @FanFirst at Fowler’s (awesome time, man!), lot of Boulder talk, I agree it has a lot of unrealized potential, but it’s fun for what it is

3 Likes

Worthington Hills seems to get left out of the Cbus private conversation, any takes? Have always wanted to play it and possibly join once life takes me back to Ohio.

2 Likes

There is a lot of private club talk here but I’m a SW Ohio muni boi. Without divulging any personal information can someone give me an idea what all these clubs actually cost? The only place near me I would even consider joining is Hamilton Elks and that’s not exactly on the same level. Not a lot going on in my neck of the woods of the 275 loop.

we have good Munis in Cincy with CRC + GPoHC. Aston is a relatively inexpensive public course if you don’t mind afternoon tee times too

Yea I play all those. Was curious about all the Columbus and Northern Ohio private club talk. I legit have no idea what a private club costs it has never been on my radar because of where I live and who I grew up with. It’s a goal in life if the right situation presented itself.

I’ve always enjoyed the hills. Tough fast greens. Haven’t played it in about 5 years.

1 Like

Enjoy it while it lasts!

2 Likes

Lots of clubs punching this week, the severity of which depending on how the season went. Last few days to squeeze in the summer course!

I’m really glad I was given the option to get out ahead of the foursomes. Waiting on the 2nd tee and we play up together only for @blackhammer to make the comment, “Nice towel” on the green. Come to find out, we live about 10 minutes from each other and unknowingly drove about 40 minutes to play golf. It was cool to meet you and we will definitely get together again.

FYI to everyone - Fowler’s Mill have freshly punched greens. I think they got tired when they got to 18 as it wasn’t blown off. Wasn’t too bad though. They held approaches well and I felt that if you hit a good putt it would stay mostly online. Except for maybe my birdie putt on the par 3 13th…it may have gone past the hole and settled in the bottom of it

Good track. Course is always in good shape and greens are kept as fast as any course in the state year round.

As far as an overall club goes it’s hard to beat. Especially if you have a family and / or play tennis. Really good tennis facilities (including platform), along with the pool and gym.

2 Likes

Saw the winning score for the US 4-ball qualifier at Sand Ridge was 62. Having never played it, should I be as totally blown away as I am? Sure it’s a 4-ball, with really good players, but goddam that sounds low!

I’ve never played it either. -10 with -9 being the 2 alternates is crazy good golf. With the location of the course and the rain, I would bet the course was kind of soft. Played at Fowler’s on Sunday and it was cart path only.

Anyone ever play in a 10 man scramble? I have a group playing in one at Belterra on Nov 1st. Organizer said they did a couple in previous year and it was a lot of fun. Curious what we should even expect.

Shoot me a DM with your email and I will send you a sheet I put together. A buddy and I are planning to switch clubs so I put something together to keep track of all the costs.

I have no idea how that would work. My first thought is a lot of beers and a long round

It’s on a Sunday and kind of expensive so we will see on the beers. But yea I have no idea. Guess it depends on your group of friends. I can see it being a ton of fun or getting really frustrating if your group is wild.

1 Like

I had to look up Belterra. Looks pretty nice, “for a Fazio”. Honestly though, I have no clue. Not even Google can find anything about one. The most I’ve ever seen is a 5 man scramble and at least -19 has won those. A 10 man sounds like just a big hangout.

That sounds like a nightmare, but at least it is on a good course. I love Belterra.

When we do our Shootout, the first hole starts with 10 guys and it takes forever to get through it.

That’s an impressive score for sure, it looks like one of the individuals on the winning team birdied 5 of the last 6 on the front. As @FanFirst alluded the course is a little soft due to the rain recently, but that’s some serious good golf.

2 Likes

I went and looked at the last few years of results. I think this time of year prevents the course from being very firm. 7 or 8 under is usually the number that wins. In the last 5 years, only once has 10 under been the winning score.

The winning team (former Wooster teammates) were paired with another qualifying team (2nd alternate, Northwestern and TCU). As a group, they shot -19. The 1st alternate team went to Ohio State. Apparently they tried to make the setup rather tough. Tucking pins behind bunkers and on the “fade away” side of slopes. 5 teams shot better than the score they were targeting.

Shoutout NEOHGOLF for the write up

3 Likes