Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

i’ll be getting to sleepy a bit early to hit some balls too. For those who haven’t been here before: you have to grab a token when you check in and pay in the clubhouse. It can be a bit slow in there so try and give yourself a bit of a cushion.

There’s a large putting green near the range and then a small one near the first tee that comes in handy while we watch the other groups tee off.

1 Like

Yes! @DingleJones and I will be squaring off in a duel at Sleepy Hollow. He microwaves his vodka and is too nice to people, so I need to teach him a lesson.

@jasona93 is going to take on the winner of the two of us at manakiki because he thinks we don’t appreciate Keith Richards and Arnold Palmer enough.

6 Likes

Way out on the first, but way in on the second. On the balance of it, and completely forgetting the good work he did setting this up, I can only assume his is a scourge that must be wiped clean :rofl:

1 Like

The small one is like putting / chipping at Augusta (I assume haha). Whole thing is a side hill lie but you’ll get a sense of the speed!

Yea I am planning on getting there around 7 myself to hit a few and watch everyone tee off, even though @anon71339061 probably has the better strategy.

Glad the courses were so accommodating so @paroutfromhere can join, especially if you’re coming from Toledo. I’ve never played as a 5-some but I am down for it. I will just have @FunctionFindingForm run ahead to find my tee shots in the woods to keep up the speed of play :wink:

1 Like

Im coming in hot from toledo so i imagine ill be there about 5 min before tee time and baseballing my first shot from the parking lot to catch up haha

2 Likes

Hahaha alright I’m glad that worked out! I really did feel bad. From my several phone calls with them, the sleepy hollow people seemed to be very on top of things so I’m not surprised you were able to work something out.

Want to just make sure everything goes smooth at Manakiki though, and communication with them hasn’t been as straightforward as sleepy. Did you get a spot in the 2:00 tee time? (This was the one I cancelled). I initially told them we had 10 but called back once the other two guys signed up and said We actually have three foursomes, but the guy who took my call didn’t sound like he was really following what I was saying. I hope there hasn’t been a miscommunication. (I’d happily sit out if it comes down to it, provided I don’t win my match against @anon71339061 in the morning and need to play @jasona93 in the afternoon).

1 Like

And if it comes to it where we have 13 for manakiki and you needed to do this, but end up beating me - I can sit out manakiki as well (although I am excited to play it). We can make it work. I mean some one is bound to cancel last minute - it’s inevitable!

1 Like

Ohhh, stakes are getting high now!

This is me stirring the pot for no reason. I’m just jealous of all the chatter that was happening before the Husker Du(el), and we’ve all been relatively quiet.

We’ll definitely find a way to make it work. I’m also more than willing to go off at a different tee time if something is open so that we can make sure to get everyone out on the course.

2 Likes

That is correct, I’d prefer to walk as well, so I’ll hop in the 8:00 tee time.

1 Like

No I’m definitely trying to stir the pot too. The more trash talk the better!

no worries. If anything we can call after the morning rounds just to double check and if its not all up to speed I can just bounce then. Im sure the boss wouldnt mind me being home earlier than expected haha

Im guessing it might be for that 2 time. The girl said there was a spot open in the first one. Maybe they are sticking me in the one before everyone else with a bunch of randos. Don’t really care who i play with, just want to see that course!

1 Like

also, I want a match, leggoooooo

I checked this out the other day while struggling through my afternoon at work to see the the course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBYq2PV2t-8

Did we decide on doing the quota game? (36 - handicap, and then bogey(1), par(2), birdie(4), eagle(8))?

1 Like

Okay, now for the fun stuff. Here are some ideas for games:

1. 1 putt poker (everyone, 1 round). Total your 1-putts during the round, and afterward we deal out cards equal to your number of 1 putts (0 putts count for 3 cards!). Best five card hand wins. Just played this on a recent trip and the “big reveal” ends up being very suspenseful. Also to make things more fun, putts from the fringe don’t count as a putt.

2. Snake (intra group, 1 round). If you 3-putt, you become the snake. If someone 3-putts after you, they become the snake. Whoever finishes the round as snake loses. Stakes tbd. You and your group need to determine putt order as it does matter (generally if someone has like a 1 inch putt we let them tap it in, and this can have consequences!).

3. Quota game (full group, 1-2 rounds). Explained up above. We could do each round separately. Maybe top 3 “win”.

4. Low net (full group, 1-2 rounds). Another one that gets everyone involved. This could be one that all 36 holers focus on, maybe we could all throw a few bucks into a pot (if you like) and winner take all.

I’m more than happy to collect handicaps beforehand and determine course handicaps for everyone at each course (and prepare scorecards with dots if need be). Truthfully I wasn’t planning on playing the tips at either course, but I imagine some will so just let me know which tees you’re gonna play.

edit: and I would loooove to see other people play some matches. If there’s enough interest maybe we can work out a sort of team competition for each round!

1 Like

Hell yeah man I think we’ll be good. I’ve played it three times this year already (generally try to see it once or twice per year) so I’d rather you get to play it than me again.

1 Like

maybe we get lucky and get that round in together somehow. Either way fucking pumped to meet everyone.

New bet, over under 6.5 on how many people have the NLU face masks haha

Good with me for our match!

What other rules do we want? Stroke and distance on lost balls or agree on a drop and stroke? In the name of keeping play moving, nothing to do with my big right miss!!

1 Like

Another fun intra group one I like is “The Masters.” It’s 5 separate 3 hole matches, where the buy in is $2 per match. If there is a tie, the first hole of the next match is the “playoff” for that match. The last 3 hole match is “The Masters,” buy in is $5, unless you’ve won one of the the prior matches, then the buy in is $2.

1 Like

You will find no bigger proponent of the “Irish Drop” (is this actually what it’s called?) than me. Let’s do this one.

Also I understand if people think this kind of changes the results of a low net or quota game. I would say let’s all do it :laughing:, and if people would really rather not than we can add another stroke for game purposes or work something out.

I think I’m gonna pick up some name tags also. Should help with the introductions.

2 Likes