Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

I’m not from Ohio, but planning to come up for the Memorial in June. Any courses in the Dublin / Columbus area I should really look into within an hours drive? Planning is in its infancy; but searching this forum for Dublin doesn’t usually come up with Ohio results….

Can you get on somewhere private……

4 Likes

Darby Creek is a solid course and about a 30 minute drive from Dublin. If you’re willing to stretch out your range slightly, you could get to Virtues Golf Club. It will be pricey in June but I think worth it for a one time experience.

4 Likes

I played Blue Ash Saturday. Course was in fantastic shape if anyones looking for somewhere to play over the next week.

6 Likes

Just add if he’s gonna stretch to virtues might as look at Dennison too.

I rather enjoy Darby though.

5 Likes

There are quite a few options within an hour, it kinda depends on what you are looking for.

Virtues is going to be the highest ranked public course in the area, it’s right at an hour from Muirfield Village.

A couple other ones that are usually in good conditioning and at least moderately interesting layouts include Cumberland Trail, New Albany Links, Links at Echo Springs, Turnberry Golf Course (Owned by City of Columbus but is a solid links style course)
The ones I listed above are among the “higher end” public courses in the area, will run you $75-150 during the summer in peak tee times, there are plenty of other courses around in the ~$30-50 range too I can give recommendations if needed.

1 Like

Awesome, much appreciated guys.

I tried to hit the par-3 at Reeves yesterday - both it and the front 9 of the regular course were closed to flooding. The back 9, driving range and both putting greens were all packed so I went home.

That’s interesting. I was at Lunkin yesterday for a motorcycle ride and the course looked packed. The holes I saw were the big 18 hole course though. Our ride started at Aston Oaks and that parking lot was absolutely packed at 11am when it was still chilly.

Might try and squeeze in 9 on Thursday. Things should only get better as the week goes on.

Pretty sure I’m the only NKY guy, but I heard Willows, Boone, and Devou are all still very wet.

3 Likes

I’m pondering a mental health day Thursday or Friday to try and play. Monitoring the forecast.

3 Likes

Last call on the OATW hat order, going to start rounding up money this week. Still need one more dad hat to get to the minimum.

1 Like

Everywhere I looked Sunday was fully booked on the west side, except Indian Ridge because they weren’t letting carts out. We almost had the entire place to ourselves, would have been perfect except for the wind!

2 Likes

Indian Ridge is windy af. I get it!

1 Like

My brother and I did this exact trip last June. We played Denison and Golf Club of Dublin, which was a fun pairing. Denison in particular is worth the commute.

2 Likes

Ah yeah I forgot about Denison and Golf Club of Dublin too, they’re both up there in the higher end public courses in the area.

Denison is an old Donald Ross design I believe, and Golf Club of Dublin is a links style layout that winds through houses.

2 Likes

While I’m well aware that this will initially come across as me just being a surly GCA snob, I couldn’t help but think of the accompanying quote from one of my all-time favorite movies:

6 Likes

:rofl: Yeah, that’s fair.

I was using “links-style” trying to describe that those courses are more wide open, rolling hills/mounds, less trees, etc than some other courses around which are narrower, tree lined, branches overhanging half the fairway, etc.

2 Likes

“Boone Links” always cracks me. Ankle high rough, balls that plug in fairway, poor tree management, and bunkers without sand just like in Scottland.

1 Like

I wouldn’t steer anyone towards Golf Club of Dublin anytime, but especially during tourney week. Definitely if your willing to drive an hour or so Denison is a great track. I’d also say Champions is a nice option

5 Likes