Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

Still adding players for Saturday?

1 Like

Hell yeah. Jump on in on the sheet.

1 Like

Done, see everyone on Saturday!

1 Like

I bet it has been 20+ years since I have played OP.

2 Likes

Hell yeah! Glad to have you out. We are getting a ton of late additions haha. I went out today and talked to the pro for a while, the management company has yet to sign a contract for the upcoming season, meanwhile keeping their staff just waiting in the wings. Kinda bullshit. I told her we might pack the place out, and she replied go big or go home haha. Sadly, she won’t be able to make it.

2 Likes

Last I heard, Sand Ridge has a practice membership category. You get access to the practice and dining facilities, as well as the opportunity book the cabins (and play rounds when staying in them for the guest fee). It was like $200/mo and only billed for the nine usable 9 months of the year. Not a bad deal if you don’t mind driving out there.

2 Likes

I’ll be heading out to Toledo Saturday morning if anyone in NEOH wants to grow a set, hitch a ride and join us in the cold. Sorry not sorry!

4 Likes

Want the dumbest fucking ranking of Ohio golf courses you’ll ever see?! Glad you asked!

9 Likes

What in the actual fuck? Why are we trusting TripAdvisor for golf course rankings anyway?

2 Likes

GC of Dublin??? Hahaha. Those are some of the worst rankings I’ve ever seen

2 Likes

This is embarrassing. I get the writers likely aren’t sickos and this is a meaningless puff piece. But, there must be no golfers at the Plain Dealer. Sad day for Cleveland journalism.

2 Likes

That “article” is stinky and that list is stinky. Oof

2 Likes

I can’t speak for all clubs (and I’m sure there are probably exceptions), but in my experience, at nearly every club, no matter how closed off or blue blood their reputation, there are at least a few members who are generous, love sharing the place, are mildly uncomfortable with the gated nature of American golf, will host you, have a great sense of humor, and you’ll have a good time. I can personally confirm this for TGC, Scioto, Pikewood, Inverness, and plenty of others.

The American private golf thing is… not great. It’s really not. But there are definitely people out there willing to open the door and invite you in. You just gotta do the work to build your network and cultivate contacts. Should you have to? Probably not - the semi private UK model is a good one and should be considered more in the states. But you can do it.

14 Likes

You may be right, but the vast VAST majority of golfers are never going to meet someone who is a member at double Eagle or TGC, let alone cultivate enough of a relationship with them to ask and receive one of their limited guest passes. Wanting to play a golf course shouldn’t require going to the right college or interning at the right company or slowly working your way up the ladder of invites to the right parties, conferences, social circles, or whatever. It’s a piece of land with some sand and grass and holes in it. Set a price and let me save up so I can come hit this stupid little ball around it for a few hours and then I’ll go home without sullying the perfect little clubhouse sanctuary with my dirty middle class aura

6 Likes

LOL at Turtle Creek being #7.

2 Likes

For sure. We agree for the most part. I’m just saying, there are ways. It’s not all unapproachable titans of industry. There are kids and grandkids of members, for example, who are just relaxed bros or normal golf nerds like any other. You’d be surprised.

6 Likes

I have a tee time at the #4 course on this list tomorrow at 1:30. Humble brag

2 Likes

Lol that’s just a brag :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Have fun. Great place, and going to be a great day for it.

2 Likes

I mean can we confront who made this list haha? Isn’t this a major golf publication. Don’t get me wrong I loved Boulder when I played it first time last year but let’s be real.

It says TripAdvisor? No idea. Pretty wild. Seems bot-ish. Maybe it was ChatGPT lol

3 Likes