Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

Is that advertised anywhere? Seems like a perfect scenario aside from the hour plus drive one way. I wonder if that was widely known if the range would be packed with “range members” and the full membership people would get annoyed.

Also re: THE LIST. I like about half of it, at least the presence if not the exact ranking of certain courses. But man once you get to the top 12ish its very clear that pay-to-play was in effect.

2 Likes

Will report on the con ditty’s out at boulder later today fellas.

Should the thread title be updated to “post insanely warm winter Intel” tbd

1 Like

I’m hoping the clouds stay away Sunday so I can sneak out for 9/18 mid-day in SW Ohio for 9 or something. If anyone has a time already with room for one hit me up.

2 Likes

Interesting debate to watch from the sidelines. Both you and @Conley76 make valid points. Thankful the people I’ve met on the Refuge that do belong at private clubs are nothing but gracious and generous.

Speaking of guest policies, listen to today’s SGS. Riviera’s sounds like it’s really…something

6 Likes

Golf Club of Dublin catching strays left and right.

Me…knowing it is one of the few public courses that isn’t a dump by where I live…

7 Likes

GCD is 100% more than fine…the price is just outrageous. If you can find a deal to play there…it’s absolutely worth it.

4 Likes

Done.

Jealous of the Fropen this week. Both getting to play Ottawa and getting to play golf at all in February in reasonable weather. Have fun everyone, head to Jake’s for beers afterward to double my level of nostalgic jealousy!

2 Likes

Like I said, there are plenty of members most places who are sympathetic to the access thing and will do something about it, whether it’s offering up rounds for charity events or hosting internet friends :wink:

I should also say one part of the debate that is being ignored is economics. The business of developing and maintaining operations of a course, and doing it well, is an extraordinarily risky and expensive venture, and the safest way to do it is with private membership dollars. That’s just a dollars and cents reality. In many cases (not all), the only reason a course is good enough to even be a unicorn is because it has private money funding it.

A lot of the mindset isn’t “the membership wants a gate up to keep the poors out”. It’s that members must pay $X to keep the place operating at a certain level, and, in exchange, they get a great course they can play whenever they want. Reducing their access to the course they themselves are paying for is a hard sell.

But hosting new friends who love golf and speak the same language is a true added bonus of being a member somewhere. It gives members an excuse to get out and play, make new friends, share a place they love, and extend their own golf network.

I know it’s work, but if I had any advice for exclusively public golf folks looking to break into playing more private golf, ya just gotta keep meeting people, developing contacts, and networking. Play in events where you’ll meet people you have never met before. Charity golf, TFE/NLU/TGJ events, etc. Golf is a much smaller world than you’d think, and has attracted much more open people, especially compared to 20 or 30 or even 10 years ago.

Some of you know this and some of you I have hosted, but you’re all welcome anytime we can make something work at my places.

16 Likes

I’m new to this area and drive past that all the time, is that a good spot? How is the pizza?

1 Like

Where is this Jake’s at?

Boulder was soft and fun today. Really not muddy at all. Wind was a little wild but great for mid February

4 Likes

I cannot speak to the pizza quality, I’ve only consumed liquid there. And honestly I havent been there in 7 years. That was our college dive bar of choice when I went to Toledo. Close to campus and cheapppp beer and usually a really fun time, especially after a football game.

Jake’s Saloon & Sports Pub
(419) 214-9011

If you’re looking for pizza (and a nicer bar in general) I would suggest Pizza Papalis.

3 Likes

Jake’s is a college bar for UT students. I haven’t been in there in about 15 years, and I imagine anyone over 30 in there would feel a bit out of place

1 Like

I really like Stubborn Brothers Pizza Bar, good pizza/stromboli and a good beer selection.

2 Likes

Hit that up at least once a week for lunch. They make a good pie.

Here’s an updated Slack link. I haven’t sent it out in a while:

Join me on Slack – it’s a faster, simpler way to work. Sign up here, from any device: Slack

3 Likes

Any NEO bourbon aficionados want to chime in? I’m newish to bourbon, and I’ve got a buddies weekend with some HS friends I’ve not seen in years. I’d ordered a bottle online, but not going to get it in time. Is there anything available around CLE that may be considered hard to find elsewhere or “special”? My go to has become Elijah Craig, and I’m happy to bring that. But, if anyone has seen in our liquor stores something that you’d get for a special occasion I’m all ears!

It’s a really tough scene to find rare stuff unless you don’t value your time. Waiting in line at giant eagle on Saturday morning is the easiest way to go for rare stuff without knowing delivery days for local liquor stores. You have to get to giant eagle incredibly early though. Any Penelope bottle is fairly easy to find and very good. Four roses single barrel you can get anywhere and may be the best value bottle always on the shelf. If you go to a store text me pictures and I can help you out if you’re really unsure of what to get.

3 Likes