Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

Research tells me Ohio only has 8 Dye courses and more specifically NE Ohio only has 2. @golf4miami if you haven’t played Fowler’s yet you might want to have a sense of urgency. I’m getting strong park/nature preserve vibes given last years status.

1 Like

Yeah I was getting that feeling last year when you guis were talking about it. I was planning on heading up to Purdue this year but I might have to do the Avon - Fowler double this year just to be safe. I haven’t played either and I definitely want to before they potentially go away.

And yet, somehow, Fowlers is ranked in the Top 5 of most lists for Ohio public golf.

1 Like

I dream of Sleepy every day.

4 Likes

I mean they haven’t fully let it go but another season or two like they put in last year and all bets are off.

Meaning play Purdue golf courses? That’s on my list this year. Was supposed to be in the area last yr for work, but trip got cancelled.

Played UGA course last year, trying to get to more college courses!

1 Like

Yeah. I almost played them last year and then didn’t. I need them for the Dye trail over in Indiana.

This is an amazing discussion- I’ve played em all in Columbus but Scioto. It’s my white whale- When the Fried egg put out the video about Scioto on Twitter I commented how it’s my WW, I’ve always wanted to play.

About an hour later I get a message from a guy I grew up with in Dublin, haven’t seen him in 25+ years and tells me he’s a member at Scioto and would love to take me out there this summer. I can’t tell you how pumped I am , especially with my health issues.

20 Likes

Reading this makes me happy that I decided to play Sleepy Hollow instead of Fowler’s Mill when I was in the area last Fall.

3 Likes

Can confirm all of this.

I got the chance to play Pepper two years ago and it was quite the experience, a lot of good, and some weird.

The course itself was amazing. I believe our host mentioned they generally only see 10-15 rounds a day on busy days. I have also heard that during Gil’s renovation of The Country Club (which is next door), Pepper is limiting the amount of play to keep the rounds low while Country is under construction, since many of the members belong to both clubs.

One thing that I thought was pretty cool that I had not seen before was the first tee box has two cups and doubled as a mini practice green. They also have a local rule that on number 1 you continue to re-tee until you’re satisfied with the result, referred to the “hit until you’re happy rule”. Another awesome touch that I enjoyed at the turn was the cooler full of Uncrustables (the Smucker namesakes are members).

I’ve also heard some wild stories (and directly from a relatively new member) about the membership initiation process. It truly is an unsolicited invite only, and was told by a former colleague that when he was promoted to Office Managing Partner of his firm, he received a phone call from the club president offering his congratulations while at the same time stating that he expects his check for the initiation fees in the mail within a week. When the previous managing partner of the same firm was invited to join, they had to build a women’s locker house because she was the first female.

11 Likes

Who amongst us hasn’t out of curiosity looked up the C suite of their employer on the GHIN app to see where they’re members? This may or may not be where I learned that Pepper Pike existed.

5 Likes

dude, that is awesome. hope you are feeling okay and seeing improvements!

3 Likes

Manakiki was in the best shape I’ve ever seen it last summer, and I’ve played there for over 50 years. God that hurts to say. Hope all is well with you !

4 Likes

Don’t forget that you’ve got Indiana University’s Pfau Course and Notre Dame’s Warren Course in Indiana, as well as Culver Academy’s course if you want to go to “Campus Courses” and have an in.

2 Likes

No seizures in 2 weeks! I appreciate it, last 2 years have been extremely difficult, but hoping to play a shit load of golf this year. We will have to get up to Deer Ridge or Denison again this year.

12 Likes

Played Warren last year for the first time and it is worth the trip for sure

4 Likes

This fall, we did both Purdues, Warren, Blackstone in SB, and Culver. Culver is absolutely dynamite. Could play out there all day and not get bored. Their super is a great follow on Twitter and is constantly improving it.

I preferred the older Purdue course to the Kampen, but could be that we played Kampen in 25-30 mph and got brutalized.

Warren was good, as well. Definitely the hardest Coore-Crenshaw I’ve played, but some very cool holes and the layout is cool from a 3-6 hole loop standpoint.

6 Likes

Right on my friend… hopefully we get to play soon

1 Like

Who is trying to get out this weekend? Going to be a mudfest probably but nearly 50 on Sunday (in Cleveland).

I have a 1050 at Glenview (SW Ohio) on Sunday with one opening. It’s weather dependent. Should be sunny if it is we will play. If it’s cloudy and blustery I will cancel.

3 Likes