Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

The way they do their membership dues is pretty wild. It’s my understanding that there are no monthly dues or daily charges for food, drinks, etc. At the end of the year, the running total is split amongst the membership and invoiced out. Payment has to made within a certain time frame or your membership is dropped. Also, when asked to be a member, you have X amount of time to reply and provide initiation fee.

2 Likes

My understanding is Double Eagle settles up in the same way

1 Like

Sharon is one that’s definitely up there good add. All I know is that it’s a men’s club and hear nothing else about the place. Imagine it’s very exclusive though from what I’ve heard.

Don’t want to glorify these places by coming up with a top-5, but it’s interesting to know what clubs are the most exclusive and why their doors are so shut.

2 Likes

They turned the old 9 into the new short game area but that green is smaller and sloped so the types of shots you can hit is limited and like you said the green is in poor shape. I like being able to chip and putt on the same green so I can practice getting the ball up and down.

Once they changed how they did their twilight deal I have not really been back to ellsworth.

That’s the way I’ve always heard Augusta does it too. Seems like a good way for the boards of those super exclusive clubs to do whatever they want and then just bill people. If you don’t like it, give up your membership, they don’t care. There’s a line of millionaires waiting to get inducted.

1 Like

When I lived in West Virginia… Pikewood National in Morgantown could go a full 3-4 days without a single member round. There used to be a running joke that the only local member was Bob Huggins

5 Likes

These last 20 posts make me so sad. Artificial scarcity for rich fucks.

10 Likes

I’ve got some literature inside this here little red book that I think is related to this issue and may offer some solutions!

4 Likes

A true scumbag.

2 Likes

I almost feel like knowing the chance of playing TGC is 0% makes it easier to move on from. :rofl:

Doesn’t suck any less…but 0% I’m more (shoulder shrug) and move along.

I dwell a lot more on the courses that are 1%.

6 Likes

This is why I made sure to note the difference between the white whale and unicorn in my post. I’m the same way.

5 Likes

One more time for the people in the back!

The Fropen 2023, where it appears it’ll be damn near 60 in April. Unreal.

1 Like

Same deal with Pepper Pike.

It’s a secondary club only, need to be a member somewhere else. Invite only, no applications. Mostly legitimate C-suite. Dolan family (Guardians owners and wannabe pay-for-play politicians) are members.

Also heard there is no menu there - just tell the chef what you want.

I have heard these places referred to as “soup clubs” - between the age of the membership and the lack of play, there are probably more bowls of soup served than rounds played annually.

I bike past PPC pretty often in the warmer months and only once have I seen a group out on the course.

7 Likes

Reminds me of The Menu when chef says, “What would you like?” When answered with “what do you have”, he said, “We have everything.”

I drive past regularly and never see anyone on the course. Before I knew what kind of club it was, I always thought it was just a defunct old golf course waiting to be a park.

1 Like

Jim Nantz bought a house in Pepper Pike right before the pandemic and plays golf out there a lot. His wife is from Cleveland and they spend summers there.

I get more bent out of shape with a $45 dollar public golf course charging double that (shoutout Golf Club of Dublin) than I do a 1-percenter paradise faking its exclusivity. One of those is inherently more damaging than the other

14 Likes

Audibly snickered at this, so true

7 Likes

Not our fault you left Cleveland!

Edit: not that we’re immune from being overcharged (see: Mill, Fowlers) but it’s definitely easier to avoid.

2 Likes

Will it even be worth checking in on Fowler’s this year? I don’t even know if I want to even if I find a hot deal on it. It was brutal last year. This meme always comes to mind when I think about it.

4 Likes

We need Andy and the Fried Egg to put them on blast. Shameful to take that course from what it was to what it is now.

1 Like