Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

I still refuse to believe this is a real company.

4 Likes

Anyone listen yet to today’s TFE pod? Apparently the current and relatively new super at Yale was the super at Quail Hollow. And had worked at Augusta. That’s an interesting résumé. On the surface, seems like it would be too bad to lose a guy with Augusta experience. But, Yale is probably a tough gig to say no to for those guys.

Edit: posted in Ohio bc of course I meant Quail Hollow in NEOH. Not the stinky one down south.

4 Likes

I’ve been playing at Manakiki for 50+ years (ugh) and it has never been better than it was last week. Firm, fast, and the greens were as smooth as the practice green, even after following a full tee sheet. Twilight rate of $21 plus cart was the bargain of the year. Senior rate (again, ugh). Pace of play was also 4:10

6 Likes

Your twilight round was faster than my 7:40am tee time. Got stuck behind 2 incredibly slow groups.

The MetroParks not enforcing pace of play?!? No!!!

Just so I’m on the record, my last two MetroParks adjacent posts have been negative. Let me be clear, I fucking love them.

@KD22 thats pretty wild! Has it had a worst of times in those years? Or has it always been varying degrees of good?

The people in front of us were only playing 9 holes so we sailed around the back nine. That was unexpected.

I’ve never seen it in anything I’d consider less than good, especially with the number of rounds played. The greens were never this clean. I was there a lot with two daughters lucky enough to play HS matches there for eight years.

Obviously, pace of play has always been an issue. Damn fun to play when you get lucky on that.

It’s also been a good summer weather-wise to help conditions. Need to see Sleepy to compare the two.

1 Like

This is an Ohio-adjacent post but I finally got out to Olde Stonewall in Elwood City, PA with my dad today.

Insane property (back to back par 3! Back nine is a par 34!) and quite literally the first golf course I’ve ever played that I wouldn’t even try to walk. 2 hours from Cleveland and about 50 minutes from my parents in the Youngstown area.

Is it mindblowing? Absolutely not. But there were some legit “woah” golf moments out there today including a couple of mega elevation tee shots. Like…made Virtues look flat woah.

8 Likes

I just got out there on Saturday myself! It was a wild course, think we hit 1 or 2 drivers on the front 9 but every distance of approach shot. Those holes going out around that pond on the right were sneaky tough, and the back 9 has awesome elevation and views.

Absolutely no walking, with minute long drives between like half the holes. And the conditioning was top notch. Great grill room/bar too. Salmon BLT, incredible.

4 Likes

I almost witnessed an actual fight last Wednesday at Big Met. I get to 12 and I just see this log jam. There are 6 groups on 13/14, and I hit 12 while two are the on the green and two are waiting to tee off.

Turns out there is a seven person group on 14, women/men mixed and just having a great old time. I called into the club house, but this old man behind me drove over and let them know they can’t do that. A girl in there group drives back across two fairways and gets out of her cart, I thought she was going to hit him. Insane.

4 Likes

What time of day was this? I’m totally fine with that big group, it sounds like fun. But on that course? No way. Save that for the early to mid evening, and probably on a less busy course. I have somehow not been on Big Met yet this year. How is it?

1 Like

Unfortunate for me, I got word last night I gotta be out for Sunday. Spot is yours @Gobrownies09 . Have Fun!

2 Likes

It was about 3:30 - 4:00 would be my guess. There were a several groups of 2 that could have linked up to improve things, but overall that group was a huge problem.

Big Met is about like always, decent condition, and VERY slow at times.

1 Like

Cross posting with Kentucky.

Two spots available for twin oaks in covington Kentucky (near cincinnati) for next saturday 9/3 at 7:30. Both of us are walking

I think the Elyria Country Club ended up being a viable replacement for Manakiki, right?

This was a fun round though at Manakiki, which is in PERFECT shape. Played fast, played well (for the most part). We didn’t run into a group until hole #12, and they stayed ahead of us. Any under 4 hour round at a metroparks course is awesome. Capped off by a broken driver shaft by The Hulk (aka @MDM) on 18 tee.

4 Likes

Great weather, perfect course conditions and excellent company (@quicktempo @Buck @Gobrownies09). And pour one out for my 2018 Ping G400 driver – shaft snapped with some light pressure following one of my many wayward drives yesterday.

4 Likes

That had to be a defect or some pre-existing crack too, definitely was something everyone does from time to time.

1 Like

Alright gents: 3 spots available at Kearney Hill Golf Links. A great Pete Dye muni in Lexington. Tee time is 11:10 am. Who’s coming down?

2 Likes

Good Afternoon! Purchased a round at Hyde Park CC through a charity auction, playing Friday around 10am. Got an extra spot, Anyone interested in joining?

Heard its a great undulating layout.

6 Likes