Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

Wilson is a favorite of mine too. I’ve gone out there with plenty of non-golfing friends with 4-5 clubs for a pleasant evening 9. Underrated spot for beginners. There and Blacklick’s learning course are both very fun.

1 Like

my back held up for all 18. Pretty windy day out at National. No expectations at all but somehow shot 78 with 2 birdies. 11 fairways/10 greens/32 putts.

9 Likes

Putted it awful but not really surprising. Playing from the whites helped out a lot. Lots of 135 yard punch 6 irons today

8 Likes

Forest Hills was in ok shape. Some wet spots in the back part of the property where it’s lowest. Course itself was in good shape. A few greens are still healing up for aeration but they generally rolled ok. According to the guy at the desk they just opened the full 18 yesterday due to weather. Range was closed, mega sad face. It should be open in the next day or two but I’d call ahead on that.

Can confirm my game is still stinky. Made triple from 75yds out in the middle of the fairway. It was a disgrace. Troughing appropriately before Findlay

Welcome back, homie

3 Likes

Ty sir. Felt so fucking good to be able to swing again. Only 1 bad swing all day on 11- Had driver out and from the whites it’s just too much club so pulled it OB.

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to swing it 100% again but that’s alright. My goal was to play by my 43rd bday on the 22nd and accomplished that.

My brother will be up from Florida for 2 weeks on the 21st. I know he will want to play a shit load. Hopefully a few of you guys will be able to play in late May/early June. He’s an absolute animal tee to green- will shoot 72 with 31 putts.

3 Likes

Here’s my face when I got home in August from the hospital. When I had my seizure and fell off my bed, I had a fan going and It was about an inch or 2 from hitting my eye. Easily could have lost an eye, lost my life.

I couldn’t walk, do anything for months. Playing golf was so on the back burner- But to be able to play my favorite game in the world again, something I’ve been doing for almost 40 years- Im just so fucking thankful.

20 Likes

Great to see this man, congrats on getting back out there

1 Like

Manakiki is my home course so I’m a little biased, but I think overall, it’s a better experience. As noted, the greens at Sleepy can be overly punishing. I will say that currently, Kiki has US Open length rough but the greens, while fast, are much fairer. Ask me tomorrow and I’d probably tell you Sleepy. Can’t go wrong when choosing between those two.

3 Likes

I also vote manakiki for a more fun round. I’m not mad to play either, but manakiki is typically a more enjoyable less frustrating round with more options off the tee and risk/reward chances. Sleepy is a grind to score well.

2 Likes

You mean lipping out a 12 foot putt then having it roll out to 20 feet wasn’t the highlight of your golfing career?

3 Likes

Y’all are really wanting to make me play Sleepy.

2 Likes

Not fowlers mill?

1 Like

Why not both? I definitely need to get up there to play Fowlers Mill as well.

I would also vote Manakiki. It is such a nice peaceful walk on weekday mornings.

1 Like

I have a love/hate relationship with Greyhawk as well. Used to play it once or twice a year before moving last year. I feel like I always played after a rain and it never drained well. I think it was once of the nicer courses I played when I got back into golf after college and I held it in high regards in my head for some reason. I still think I like it, I just get frustrated with a few of the holes and don’t feel like I score well there at all. Pace of play is never great either. Usually a 5 hour round. You just have to accept what you are signing up for to enjoy it.

2 Likes

Looks like I’ll be taking my (lack of) talent to Manakiki.

3 Likes

Probably the best choice. Sleepy is just a very hard, and frustrating course. On top of the greens which are borderline, there are forced carries, and plenty of opportunities to lose balls.

Fowlers Mill is in rough shape. They don’t even bother trying to maintain the bunkers anymore.

2 Likes

Man Boulder creek was amazing. Such a beautiful course that was full of views and unique shots. Liked front more than back but cannot wait to get back out there. Played Monday late morning and took about 4.5 hours with a turn stop so not too bad. I can’t imagine walking it though even in decent shape/health. Stellar recommendation ladies and gents.

3 Likes

So I will be playing Manakiki in the morning of Monday June 20, I know that is over a month away, and you can’t book yet, but if anyone is interested in joining, let me know. I’d love to have some company.

2 Likes