Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

Yeah.

FCC was wet, and windy. No cart paths, so no carts on the wet course. Conditties were tough out there but it was still a beautiful day. The old man walked the front 9 before retiring to the clubhouse to rest his bum hip. Up until then we only saw 2 other guys on the course and after that I’m pretty sure I had the whole place to myself, which after playing packed tee sheets at public courses and munis on the reg is just a transcendent experience.

That said, I got punched in the mouth by the rough. Hasn’t been mown for a few days owing to the rain, and even then I’ve been playing relatively thin and dry bermuda grass down in NC for the past year. I just couldn’t handle it. It kinda sucks to hit shots and watch them land, then walk over to them and they’re just absolutely nowhere.

Didn’t matter though. Beautiful day, great time with the dad. Got some great pictures that I’ll get uploaded sometime soon.

3 Likes

We grew it up pretty high for a JR event the prior week and the rain you said definitely didn’t help. We keep that high for portions of the year though but the older membership freaks out about. I don’t love it either when you lose a ball a hole cause of it.

That is the one benefit of our membership. Our tee sheet is hardly full and when it is always an open spot somewhere to jump in. But anytime we have any weather, the tee sheat clears and you have the whole course. Weekend afternoons are generally clear as well.

Hopefully you liked the course though. I think we do the best we can with what we have.

1 Like

My buddy and I are playing National golf links at 10:50 on Tuesday if anyone wants to join. Gonna test the back out.

7 Likes

Anyone for playing Thursday AM? Strongly considering taking a day off with this chefskiss.gif weather. @flanwilder think Forest Hills will be dry enough? Thinking there or Brookledge sound fun.

Am jammed up at work Thursday but I’m scheduled to play Forest Hills tomorrow afternoon so will report back with my findings on conditties

1 Like

Ain’t this neat!

12 Likes

FYI - For those of you who aren’t on what’sapp or browsing the No Findlaying Up thread, shotgun start at 9 now.

Love you all

2 Likes

Looking to play Friday afternoon around Columbus if anyone is interested. Feel free to DM if interested!

But the question is how much do you have to pay to volunteer, right @Randy?

2 Likes

Recently found out they now give out the volunteer shirt for free! Seems the big guy’s efforts are paying off!

2 Likes

Not so much with the USGA it seems. $85 to volunteer for the US Womens Senior at NCR.

I’m like a kid on Xmas morning. Can’t recall the last time I was nervous to play golf.

8 Likes

Wish I could join you! Hope the back holds up for you.

1 Like

Hey, so I have time for one round on a Monday morning in June in Cleveland. I’m debating between Manakiki and Sleepy Hollow. Thoughts on one over the other? Both isn’t an option.

My answer is traditionally Sleepy Hollow. The ridiculousness of the greens is pushing me towards saying Manakiki. At least those greens are fair and fun while still being hard.

1 Like

Does Sleepy Hollow have wild ass greens or is there something wrong with the greens?

They are pretty severely sloped AND ALSO run really fast. The saying has always been “Stay below the hole” which is funny haha, but then you do stay below the hole, miss your putt and it rolls back past where you previously putted from. You can be fast or sloped, not both. Just overly penal on a lot of the greens.

1 Like

Putt better.

6 Likes

1 Like

Couldn’t get out on Blacklick yesterday, showed up after their league play had started. Giant bummer as that is by far my favorite “muni” in Columbus.

Did get my 9 in at Wilson Road. Wilson means a lot to me. I’ve played a lot of golf there and learned a ton. For a short 9 hole, it still manages to have a few places where you have to think about your shots, and its certainly easier to lose a ball there than on its big brother Raymond next door. It’s usually in pretty good condition, which helps (needed a bit of a mow today), but the most important thing about it is that I can take my non-golfing buddies out there and still have a blast.

Looking forward to Gray tomorrow with the Dad.