Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

LOVE it! I’ve got a pic and a video that I’ll share. Lemme find it…

1 Like

Ha! I was a standard bearer at Prairie Dunes, wayyy back

1 Like

This was last year. Pin looks to be front right.

2 and a half years ago:

via GIPHY

3 Likes

Different angle of that same hole at Catawba

6 Likes

Great picture there from #5 apron/green :wink: !!!

1 Like

Camargo:

Doak did correct bunkering in early 2000’s and has our plan for restoration back to original 1925 lines and features. Moving tee boxes back, correcting bunkering from old aerials, new irrigation and drainage along with new greens. This work will begin late summer.

No green is near an acre, the largest greens are half an acre. After the renovation, a few greens will be larger than 20,000 sq ft (acre is 43,560 sq ft)

12 Likes

Look at me thinking an acre is 15k

4 Likes

Wish I could play at Camargo, but it’s the day after getting back from 12 days in Pinehurst. Planning on playing at moraine this summer and hopefully hitting up Camargo the next year if I can keep the handicap down low enough.

2 Likes

Re Catawba: I assume it’s flattish that close to the lake, but looks like there are some hikes between holes. 13 to 14 looks bonkers far apart.

1 Like

13 and 14 is a hike. They shuttled players between those 2 holes during the US Open Local qualifier. There is also no “practice green” so they allowed practice putting to be done on #9 before competition. It’s a flat course that does have some quirk but it IS fun and the greens can be a challenge when they get them running. #8 is a beast from the back tees. My son’s favorite hole is #14. Course is also a challenge when the wind starts blowing.

1 Like

Terrace Park hosting match play for the Met. Clovernook is the secondary course for stroke play. Too bad as Clovernook is great.

Kind of was my hunch, that’s a bummer.

Check out our main Roost page for info on Putter Headcovers!

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/about-the-ohioagainsttheworld-category/66376/71?u=creags

2 Likes

Circling back to this. Just confirmed with MVGA that Moraine IS hosting a US Am qualifier and that they will likely need walking scorers for that and the US open final stage qualifier in Springfield this year.

Definitely going to hop on the opportunity to help at the US Am qualifier for sure I think. The other will depend on dates.

6 Likes

What is the experience like being a walking scorer? I’ve never done anything like that. I do enjoy a good hike around some good scenery. Also what does a walking scorer actually do?

2 Likes

Does anybody know of a golf league for the Columbus Ohio area? My buddy and I are interested in a league when season starts back up. We both live in the city near short north

Here is an instructional video the Korn Ferry torn has out on it.

I got an email the other day from Clover Valley about their Men’s league, bit of a haul from the Short North though. Best bet may be to make a few phone calls.

Follow up to my reply, here is a Korn Ferry one specifically for 2022 and it seems to match more closely to what the USGA does as well.

I’ve played Stone Oak a ton. (Over 50 times). Conditions are prime. It’s set in a neighborhood so there are a lot of houses. Some of the houses are within 15 yards of the fairway. The course is not overly long, and depending on your shot shape, the course can take driver out of your hands a few times. Overall, it’s pretty tight (tight piece of property). Greens always run between 12-13. There are a TON of trees to deal with. If you keep your ball out of tree trouble you will more than likely score well. Hope this helps.

2 Likes