Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

FYI follow up: very good experience with Mike Snodgrass at Club Champion in Warrensville Heights today.

4 Likes

Not the first or last story I have heard of people waiting way too long to get their clubs from windmill.

Full season schedule drop from NOGA. Only bummer is Portage CC is in the scratch series this year. Loved that course last year. Just a #playbetter situation I guess.

I’ve really wanted to see Catawba Island Club so will be in for the 4-person shamble. Is anyone familiar with Stone Oak? Bit of a hike from CLE, but a 2-of-4 format sounds awesome.

2 Likes

I played Catawba club a few years ago. What a crazy course. It’s like 3 put together to make one. Greens were a wreck. But the layout was fun and would definitely go back. Think I paid lien 85 bucks.

We went out on a Holiday, bet the place gets a lot of once a year type golfer play from the crowd that was out playing the day I was.

1 Like

I’m glad you mentioned Catawba. We drove by it a few times and I know literally nothing about it nor anyone who does

See my post above hahah.

1 Like

How’s that for timing lol

1 Like

GCGA and OGA have qualifier and tournament sites out. Maketewah will serve as a great Ohio Amateur site this year. I’m curious to see how they prepare the course vs. the US Open local qualifier they host every May. Cincinnati MET doesn’t say which site they will do the match play at, but Clovernook is a really sporty old course that could make for some exciting match play in the later rounds.

As for the US Am qualifier — Moraine opted out this year it looks, I don’t know if the Scarlet course is in substitution for that or if they just dropped a site. That was a brutal qualifying site, Scarlet will be equally tough.

I’m still a few years out from having the time to truly dedicate to being sharp, but its a good lot of qualifiers and open tournaments that I’ll try my hand in. Any tournament is a good tournament.

7 Likes

I was really sad when I was out of town the days that the US Am qualifier was at Moraine. Would have loved to see those players take on that course.

The Camargo one is worth a day off work. I tried to take my son last year but he melted down in the parking lot so that ended quickly

6 Likes

People crap on Scarlet a lot and it’s easy to see why when you stand over a putt on #4 with your feet above the ball and it breaks left

2 Likes

I plan on playing at Camargo again this year. Frankly, kind of happy that it’s in June as well (6/28)

Regarding Moraine, it IS listed on USGA’s website. I’m guessing that MVGA will be running it.
Ohio
Dayton
Moraine Country Club
07/11/2022
84 Spots

And if anyone wants insight on Catawba Island, I’ll be happy to share. My parents have been members for years out there. I really like the course and the greens are usually in much better shape than @RunOfTheDill described.

3 Likes

Huh, I must have missed it on the website, or better yet I didn’t check MVGA

1 Like

I don’t see it on the MVGA site. I’m going to reach out to the director and see if he knows anything. If they really are going to have a qualifier there I might try to volunteer.

I’m already looking to volunteer for the US Senior Women’s at NCR later this summer.

1 Like

I found it on USGA’s sneak peek for Am qualifying spots. It lets you search by state and that’s what I copy and pasted above.

1 Like

Regarding Catawba, I played there last year and really liked it but my defining memory is one of the par-3s on the front (maybe 7 or 8?) that had the most crazy green I’ve ever seen. Fun, crazy course.

1 Like

That would be #6. 4-6 foot tier between left side of green and right side. It’s brutal during the Am qualifier because they’ll put it back right. Miss left is way below the hole or in the water and right is a stupid short side. And it’s usually into the wind from 190 yards.

1 Like

That’s going to be awesome to go and watch. I can’t wait for that.

2 Likes

Had a back right pin and watch someone in my group putt it back to their feet 4 straight times and then smack their ball into the water. It was fun content.

1 Like

When they had the Mens Senior I was young enough to be a sign boy. Walking in the ropes and doing that was a blast. Which is why I’m really hoping I can volunteer again.