Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

Westerville Golf Center stand up!

3 Likes

Hello Ohio! Just recently moved to downtown Columbus and will be looking to play early and often once springtime rolls around. If any other fellow Refugees are ever looking for someone to play with, I’m in.

Any recommendations on the best public / semi private tracks around town? Not looking to join a club just yet, but I’ve played Ohio St Scarlett a few times with a buddy. Cool course.

5 Likes

Lots of choices depending on how far you want to drive. My favorite public courses ? Champions, Chapel Hill, and Darby creek. I play at Raymond mostly because it’s cheap, but it gets busy. I have only played Dennison once and I was in the trees the whole time - so I need to give it another go, but it is @TwoCents and @Randys favorite and it is a great classic Ross track.

Lots of Private course options Too. Besides the obvious Exclusive expensive options - Columbus Country Club and Brookside are legit classic tough courses. CCC has had the PGA championship and Brookside hosts the Us Open qualifier (usually the day after the memorial). Hickory Hills is more affordable and always a pleasure to play ,but may be too far of a drive for a membership.

I’m sure others will have completely different ideas as well, there’s quite a lot of options.

1 Like

What sort of courses do you enjoy? Columbus is blessed with lots of options. I do think Denison GC, which is about 25 minutes east of 270 in Granville, is probably the best public course, but that’s just because it hits the sweet spot for what I enjoy. Are you into golf course architecture? Are the amenities important to you, or just the course? Want to stay close to a certain area of town, or willing to drive a bit? We can help you narrow it down.

We can also round up some Refugees to join you if you’d like to start building a local network of golf buddies. Welcome to Columbus, and welcome to the Refuge!

1 Like

Welcome! I have settled in at Northstar up in Sunbury. I am a junkie so I play quite a but and I run the pot games on the weekend up there. Feel free to hit me up if you want to join us on a Saturday or Sunday. We usually have anywhere from 16 to 30 players.

As for the courses in the area, it’s hard because there are so many good, affordable options. A few of my favorites are listed below…

Apple Valley
Cumberland Trail
Darby Creek
Cooks Creek
Chapel Hill
Players Club at Foxfire
Clover Valley

2 Likes

Appreciate it!! I’ll definitely keep those in mind. I’ve been doing some research and didn’t realize how many awesome clubs and golf history was in central Ohio. The Golden Bear probably had something to do with it also.

1 Like

Thanks for throwing in your two cents, @TwoCents!

Sounds like I’m going to need to check out Denison asap!! Multiple recs for that place. I don’t mind the drive and since I won’t be joining a club yet, I’m eager to check out a variety of courses. Definitely becoming an architecture nerd more and more by the day. I grew up in southern Indiana and was fortunate enough to play Victoria National GC so I tend to favor Fazio designs but also can’t go wrong with Ross and Dye. I know Mr Nicklaus has had a hand in Ohio golf as well.

Count me in on a Refugee meet up. Maybe we can convince @Soly to come back to his roots and host an NLU event here. Holly Sonders can emcee??!!

3 Likes

That’s a solid list!! I’m totally in on the pot games. Looking to meet as many people who are just as golf obsessed as myself

I can’t think of any Fazio courses here. You might like Turnberry - an Arthur hills muni on the east side. Also Heritage in hilliard is a PB dye course - lots of water.

Not only Mr Nicklaus, but even Pete Dye is from central Ohio, and Dr. Hurzdan (who has a lot of tough public courses in the area like Cooks Creek, Royal American, and Golf Club of Dublin).

The roots of Central Ohio golf go deeper prior to Jack - the Bush family (George’s grandpa) was Wessside and was even president of the USGA. He helped form Scioto - which is where Jack learned when golf was already starting to boom here

1 Like

That’s so awesome. I would’ve never guessed! Sounds like Ohio knows how to do golf right

2 Likes

Had a great time at Dennison today with @TwoCents @Even_Smaller_Icarus and @kfisch. I don’t think it’s a coincidence the weather went from great to crap as soon as we went from the Ross holes to the new holes

8 Likes

Thats awesome. Playing Denison with @TwoCents would should be an Ohio Refugee right of passage. Such a great time.

6 Likes

It sort of felt like we were somehow tricking the universe into giving us a round of golf in January. It was room temperature out! The rain held off until the last few holes. Teeing off on 18 was not the sublime pleasure it normally is due to the driving rain and 30 mph headwinds. The company, though, made the entire day a pleasure: @Even_Smaller_Icarus, @Badatgolf and @kfisch made even the almost-nautical conditions on 18 into something entertaining. Thanks guise.

10/10: would golf in January at Denison again.

8 Likes

I haven’t played since October 30th and it was splendid in Columbus area today. However, I live in Findlay. Been pouring rain the last 36 hours, 60 mph winds today and tomorrow and a 30 degree temp change from sunset to sunrise tomorrow. Yay.

1 Like

Playing at Denison w/ @TwoCents is definitely a treat. Having serious FOMO for missing that yesterday. Looking forward to trying to do it again this year

3 Likes

Absolutely mashed a drive on Par 5 #6, soft draw that landed on the left side of the fairway and rolled back to the middle. @TwoCents said “That’s the best drive I’ve ever seen on this hole”. I can now die peacefully.

4 Likes

High all! I’m a Refuge newbie. This is my first post. Just wanted to say hello and start interacting. I’m in Cincinnati. I’m a passionate (and bad) golfer who is looking for a league this spring and summer. Hope this is the right forum to just give a shout out!

5 Likes

Welcome Seth! There are a handful of Refugees in the Cincinnati area, and it is a bit of a ground zero for the Refuge as about 50 of us convened on Avon Fields earlier this year. There are a growing number of us and we hope to get together sometime this summer, we will keep you in the loop! Glad you are here.

4 Likes

Dang… I literally work five minutes from Avon! I’ll be there this summer whenever you all meet up. :+1:

1 Like

Anyone ever played Belmont Hills CC in St. Clairsville? Got a college tournament there in a couple months, just wanted to see if there’s any local knowledge I should be aware of, hole strategies, etc.