Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

Once I learn to hit the ball 10-20 yards longer I’ll change my take. I take pleasure in hitting a perfect drive to the crest of the hill while everyone else hits it past me into the pod. Easy birdie for me while they make bogey :innocent:.

So disrespectful to Mr. Ross. For shame.

1 Like

Is 3 more hurtful to Mr. Ross or my buddy hitting driver-wedge into 12? #rollbacktheball

1 Like

@Browcoww77 just tacitly looking for invites I love the hustle.

3 Likes

Pretty excited I get to play Denison Golf Club tomorrow. Starting to understand golf architecture a little better now, so this should be fun. Hopefully the weather holds off and I can just not suck.

6 Likes

A tasteful lay-back (not lay-UP because we can’t have that) is always a great feeling when someone bombs it into a bad spot. Unfortunately I am on the wrong side of that too often, but hey its a process.

1 Like

It’s a really cool course. When you play 15-17, know that Gil Hanse has been brought in and will renovate just those holes to make them more in line with the rest of the course. Not sure when…

5 Likes

wonderful walk yesterday with @MDM at Brookledge. While our putting left much to be desired I was thrilled to bear witness to his first hole-out from the fairway and begin his conversion into a pushcart mafia member. Brookledge also lived up the hype. As a westsider I don’t think I’ll make it over often but it was a lot of fun. Challenging enough with some really fun holes

In other mega news (for me) after a really solid stretch of play this August and my 84 yesterday, with FIVE three putts, pushed my index to 9.9 which I can now technically say is a single digit index. It’s been a major goal of mine for this summer. Have played off and on since my mid-20s but only the last 2-3 years have I gotten into actually playing a moderate amount of golf (~25 rounds/yr). Today is a good day

6 Likes

Nice to hear we’ve got a couple more Brookledge fans! Are the tee boxes still terrible? That’s really been my only big knock on the place. That and the pace can get iffy.

@flanwilder can golf his ball. Congrats on single digits and can’t see you being double digits for a while – you’ve certainly got the game for it.

Brookledge was a delight. Nice piece of property, some challenging par 3’s, and generally good pace. Couple of the back tees were in rougher shape, but overall course was in excellent condition. It was also great to walk, and I’m already looking into buying my own push cart.

2 Likes

Well 3 at Manakiki isn’t so much as a “lay back” as it is a I cant hit it any further to end up down the hill. #poofersproblem

Denison is a great track. Try to not go above the hole or you will be putting defensive all day. Number 2, 5, 7, and 13 are my favorite holes.

4 Likes

The layback conversation comes up big at Whispering Woods in Erie. I highly recommend the drive from NEOH to check it out. The back nine par 5’s are awesome risk/reward holes where if you’re playing from the proper tees you will really have some decisions to make. Some close to drivable par 4’s as well but you’ve gotta have some stones.

LPGA - The Kroger Queen City Championship is scheduled for Sept. 8-11 in 2022 at Kenwood Country Club with a $1.75 million purse.

Siiiiick!

15 Likes

Do I volunteer? Do I buy a week pass? Do I offer to host a player? Do I offer to host golf for a player early in teh week? Do I take a week off of work for the whole thing?

Lots of yesses in there just need to figure out what. This is so awesome.

8 Likes

Looks like something very cool to bring the family. I’m in!

I love Denison. Once Gil Hanse renovates it, I truly believe it will be a top 5 public course in Ohio. Even now I consider it well worth the 2 hour drive down to Columbus to play it.

3 Likes

You should see if they’ll give you and @Randy a 2-for-1 on volunteer fees.

2 Likes

Lived right around the corner of Kenwood CC for a few years in Medira on Whetsel Ave. I never actually set foot on their grounds though. Curious how they are going to handle parking and everything else. The Kenwood mall area is a mess or normal nice weekends as is.

1 Like

You’ve got me thinking about parking/logistics now, and I gotta say, I’m a little stumped, too. They have 36 holes, but I can’t see the membership at Kenwood being too thrilled about giving up the other 18 for the whole week, and then however long it takes to recover from that use. Not much in the way of large fields or parks nearby that I know of/can see on Google maps, either. That’ll be an interesting one to see how they deal with, for sure…