Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

need 2 for the the east vs west if anyone can make it!

1 Like

As an architecture hipster, all I have to say is… Fazio’s best is very good. Enjoy

3 Likes

It was fun. Large greens and run up areas make it playable for anyone. My friends wife played with us and it was cool to see how the lack of forced carries let her bounce it up from anywhere. Definitely not in my top 5 or 10 courses someone would have to play in NEO tho.

1 Like

Nah West isn’t his best. It’s fine and playable like you said. Sand Ridge is his best in the area. Fazio sort of plays hopscotch with the Mendoza line of GCA.

1 Like

After much thought and deliberation my top 10 in NEO are as follows. I’m definitely missing a few that I still have on the list to try and check out.
1: Elyria CC
2: Manakiki
3: Fowlers Mill
4: Kirtland CC
5: Country Club at Pepper Pike
6: Sleepy Hollow
7: Lake Forest CC
8: The Quarry
9: Fairways at Twin Lakes
10: Boulder Creek

To each their own, of course. HOWEVER…

This take:

is no longer legal after six weeks in TX.

(this is me being dramatic for comedic effect for the record and is in no way mean-spirited lol)

3 Likes

:joy: Manakiki is up there with Mid Pines as an all time favorite. Trying to convince my wife to name our future first child Donald Ross. Tell me I’m playing any of those courses on any day and I’ll be happy (unless I’m teeing off at Boulder Creek as not the first group off for the day. Then it’ll be a long 6 hours)

I love Manakiki…… HOWEVER… lol

They’ve got a lot of work to do to have that place play like Mr. Ross would have intended. 2 used to be wider. 3 is an abomination. A blind retention pond in the driver landing zone on a par 5? Really? 8 and 10 need serious tree removal. 14 used to be so so wide with options and now, while still cool and my favorite view, it’s not what it used to be. 15 cart path.

It needs work.

2 Likes

I love 3 there hahaha. If I hit a good drive I’m right at the top of the hill hitting less than 3 wood into a par 5 (which never happens) AND if anyone hits it past me they’re in the water. I feel like it balances out accuracy and power well, but you are 100% correct it needs a restoration. Knowing the bones of what a good course lay behind some fixing up of Manakiki and Fowlers is probably why I enjoy them so much.

1 Like

No love for Lakewood Country Club? Classic Tillinghast that has stood the test of time. Been a while since I played there but caddied and worked in bag room in late 90’s and early 2000’s. Also have a very liberal bag room gui playing policy.

4 Likes

Someone: (casually mentions Manakiki upgrades literally anywhere in the world)

Me: 200w

2 Likes

Never played it. Sharon, Lakewood, Beechmont, Shaker, Canterbury, and Brookside are a few I really want to get to see.

Ah got it. Did not read the original power ranking details that course you had played. My bad.

1 Like

The course needs to be more playable for the number of rounds it gets and 3 is a perfect place to start. Put a real layup area there for goodness sake. Can you imagine just taking up the game, playing from the proper forward tees, catching one on a par 5 and losing it in the blind water? Or weak slicing it and looking for a layup and there’s a man made pond in the way?

I won’t play the course until there is a formal apology to the estate of Mr. Ross about what they’ve done to his legacy.

3 Likes

I’m going to be honest I have never heard of Lake Forest CC. Seems like a decent place though based on a 2 minute google search. Lakewood has been removing trees and if they could expand the greens to the initial size it would become a top-5 NEO course without a doubt and the best on the west side.

1 Like

Throw Sand Ridge on that list as well. Good to quite good.

1 Like

It’s the course I learned to play golf and hate golf. Since my dad dropped his membership they have taken out 2000+ trees and I got to play it this summer. It’s SO good. If I could afford it, Lake Forest would be my choice of club to belong to that’s within 15 minutes of my house. That means it beats out silver lake CC and Hudson CC.

1 Like

Haven’t played there yet either. I apologize for my list as it stands currently :sweat_smile:.

I’m going to stick by the fact I love 3 as it stands right now. 8 and 10 are horrific tho. As I get buddies to play with me there I tell them it’s my favorite adorable course in NEO but 8 and 10 need real work.

Dammit Brower, be better! Lol

2 Likes