Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

I will be walking. From what I gather, it’s a hilly course correct? So I should carry rather than use my pushcart.

1 Like

The front 9 is very hilly. 10, 11, and 18 are only bad ones on back. I’d personally think carrying your bag might be easier then with a pull cart but I’ve never walked it before.

Signed up!

2 Likes

Devout member of the pushcart mafia, but I probably won’t walk it again. I didn’t bother putting out on 18 the first time I walked it. I was that tired haha. The severity of the slopes are what get you.

1 Like

@Browcoww77 I prefer to walk but there’s no way I’m walking Deer Ridge.

Hey guys, a buddy and I are trying to get on at the OSU Scarlet course next Tuesday. I’m taking the day off regardless, so if we’re not able to snag a tee time at Scarlet where should we play? We’re in Dayton and down to drive a little over an hour to play. Looking to spend less than or equal to what we’d pay at Scarlet.

In the Columbus area, you could always get out to Virtues Club. It’s 45 minutes past Columbus, though, so maybe you don’t want to make that trip. Dennison is liked by many (it’s solid but not spectacular at all, IMO).

In no particular order:

• Turnberry
  • Champions
  • Darby Creek
  • GC of Dublin
  • Cumberland Trail
3 Likes

Fellow Daytonian here, if you can’t get on Scarlet and you don’t want to play in Dayton, check out Windy Knoll in Springfield. My old college roommate lives in C-Bus and that’s one of the places we like to meet and play.

3 Likes

I’m with @iacas. There is nothing worth the drive unless you are willing to go past Columbus. Apple Valley and Virtues are great but it’s a really long drive. Denison is wildly overrated (unpopular take).

3 Likes

7 Likes

Save the drive to Denison and play Delaware GC imo

Love Darby Creek as a pivot off Dublin. Dublin is very fun, but always packed.

2 Likes

@iacas list is good. Darby Creek is pretty great.

As @jobu415 mentioned, Windy Knoll is solid. I really enjoy National Links as well, which is outside of Springfield.

3 Likes

I need to get back to Darby Creek. I haven’t played it in 20 years.

1 Like

I haven’t been for a couple years but I know @Canes525 rides for it.

2 Likes

Darby is solid, front 9 is open , back is tighter and a bit harder. I really like National golf links when I played it. Some good holes. I’m personally not a fan of GC of Dublin. It’s expensive and not a huge fan of some of the holes.

2 Likes

I agree. Maybe not about “wildly” but…

Like Tobacco Road, it’s a good golf course (pretty sure I’ve never said TR is a bad golf course)… just overrated among many (most?) here on the Refuge. @Randy even seemed surprised and asked me how they could do “so much better” (my words) in the Columbus area. I’ll stand by that take, but also add that I haven’t played in Columbus this year, given the COVID stuff and the amount of play everywhere has gotten, so… courses may be going up or down in conditioning, etc.

Darby has the cemetery by the third or fourth or fifth hole or something, right? Isn’t that right up Randy’s alley? Or do I have that backward? It’s been awhile since I’ve been out there. It’s out in the farm lands, IIRC.

3 Likes

The cemetery is next to hole 3/4 at Darby.

1 Like

Thanks.

1 Like

I played it in a tournament almost 20 years ago. It was before I understood anything about GCA but the only thing I remember is a couple of big hills. It was nice. And maybe I will have a different opinion now if I played it again. But I’m kind of with you

I will agree with this. Denison is beautiful and about as well kept as an inexpensive public course can be, so I will ride for it, but I don’t like how it’s mostly a putting contest /ducks

2 Likes