Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1)

Do you guys ride for the front nine or back nine at Darby??

(Everyone says back nine. trees are good- I don’t care what GCA nerds say)

1 Like

That’s probably why I love Denison. I can do my normal shitty ball striking but I can still go
Low bc I can chip/putt it well.

3 Likes

I like the back 9 better. Hole 12 and 13 are good.

1 Like

My stops in Dayton area are usually National Golf Links (in Clark) and Beaver Creek. NGLC is walkable with some slight undulation but some pretty fun holes and it is about as affordable as a course possibly can be. Haven’t played out there this year since I haven’t been travelling but it’s an absolute steal if it’s in any kind of reasonable condition IMO. Beaver Creek is more your spread out, cart golf but is a nice layout that will challenge you and every time I’ve played it’s been in very good shape (again haven’t been down that way in 2020 though).

2 Likes

Scarlet will be in your top 5 hardest courses you’ll ever play if you can get out. Bunkering is so tough. Nicklaus aka the butcher ruined it when he redid it years ago.

The first par 5 is horrible. Number 4 or 5. Might be the worst hole in Columbus.

If you can’t get out , I’d hit up Delaware, Darby Creek, National golf links.

3 Likes

Just booked a contingency round at National Golf Links, looks sweet!

1 Like

I really liked it when I played it earlier this summer. A good mix of holes.

I updated the 9:10, 9:20, and 9:30 tee times for Sunday to 3 players each for the 9 total that we have. Likely to be a rainy one, but looking forward to it. I’ll be there a little early to check in and scrape a few around the range

3 Likes

I meet my dad at National about once a month. Definitely a favorite. I have had my best rounds of the year out there.

3 Likes

Since we’ve got two listed as likely walking I’ll go ahead and commit to hoofing it as well so we have a nice round three for a walking group. I know it’s a bear as I’ve walked the front there the one time I played it but should be manageable considering the reports of the back being an easier walk.

2 Likes

Dublin’s definitely too expensive, But they could probably charge 50% more and still get away with it.

But now I’m curious curious — which holes don’t you like there?

It’s been a while since I’ve played it. I can’t recall specific holes too well. I’ve just never been a fan of the course.

I’ve never played it and have lived in NW Columbus most of my life and have played just about every other course in the area. I’ve never been in a rush to go pay 100 bucks to play a newer course in a housing development. And I believe if you moved it 2 miles west and called it “Golf Club of Plain City” greens fees would be cut in half.

So am I wrong - should I play it? Is it good? The only people I see that recommend it are those online clickbait articles written by either AI or someone that has never been to Columbus “where to play golf in Columbus”

2 Likes

Honestly, I think if you are questioning it this much, maybe you should pass on it for now. There are a couple of courses here in NE Ohio that are “nice” but I’d just rather not play them right now. I drive past other courses that I enjoy playing and if I’m going to play something new, there are better options for what I’m looking for. I’ll get around to playing them at some point. I have others that I’d like to experience first. Some more than once.

For me, part of the enjoyment of golf is not playing through backyards. My favorite courses in the area don’t have houses visible and if they do, you don’t really notice them until you are next to them. Like one private club in particular (no names please). If you removed it from the neighborhood, it would be in my top 5.

1 Like

I have lived in Columbus for about 10 years and have never played it. No real desire. Some of friends have enjoyed it and said it was nice but “only play it if you get a deal around $40-$50 because it isn’t worth the $70+”

2 Likes

Oh I’m definitely not saying it’s worth the money, I just meant that they could charge whatever they want because it’s in Dublin.

I personally think the course is super fun. The greens are huge and have some character to them, there’s hardly any trees, and the fairways are generous. It’s just expensive and always packed.

2 Likes

Sounds like it would be a cool scramble course

I played Pinnacle GC today in Grove City and it’s pretty good. Definitely get a yardage book or play with a member if you never have. There are some blind shots out there.

Also, not the most walker friendly, as several holes play through neighborhoods.

PS - very good conditioning, and fastest greens I’ve played this year. Probably running a legit 12, but I didn’t have my Stimpmeter to check.

1 Like

Pinnacle Is really good. Play the par 3s from the double blacks next time.

your profile pic

4 Likes