Roll Call: North Dakota

Best bet is to see if anyone will talk with you first. You also want to know what style you want and get to know how the coaches think about the swing and vocalize it or help teach it. Do you want someone to lay hands on you and get physical? Use aids? Etc. Also I’d you don’t vibe it won’t work.

Lisa is very knowledgeable and I hear good things.

Chris Howell at MCC I’ve also heard good things about. I’ve played with him a few times and enjoyed even his casual observations on my swing.

I would still suggest some intro stuff and get to know you type things before you lock into any sort of plan or program.

There’s also a ton of online/video based instructors as well these days.

I couldn’t remember if Chris does public lessons and didn’t want to sound like an idiot. Hahahaha.

Chris Howell gets my vote all day, every day.

Everyone has a price! I’m not sure he does public’s either to be honest.

I also have heard good things about Dave Shultz, but I thought last I heard he was back into the pro golf grind.

Grew up playing FM football against Dave. It was real interesting because everyone liked him and couldn’t stand his dad. Biggest asshole I’ve ever seen coaching youth sports

1 Like

Haha! Don’t know why but this made me laugh.

1 Like

I’ve heard a lot about his old man for sure. Good and bad.

But yeah, Dave resigned at Maple River to focus on his game. I think he may be on in some capacity, but I know a guy who took lessons with him and said they were not great.

This was early 90s…his old man would direct 10-11 year old kids to play dirty against the other team. Chop blocks and late hits were real favorites. Also the only opposing coach I ever heard cussing out a team of 10 year olds for not winning.

Is he the coach from Mighty Ducks, by chance? Jesus.

1 Like

Anyone here played Grand Forks Country Club lately? Headed home to EGF to visit the folks this weekend and am squeezing in a round with my dad. Only day we can play is Friday and King’s Walk must have an event going on since I couldn’t get a tee time after 9:30. Was able to get on GFCC for 45$ with cart, so decided to head there instead. Never played it before and was curious if anyone had any comments on the course.

Never played it, but I went to a wedding out there last year and it looked like it was in good shape then.

1 Like

Never played it either and have nothing constructive to add, but since there’s like 5 of us at most here I feel a sense of obligation to reply. :joy:

3 Likes

5 on a good day. Hahahaha.

I am striking out. 0 for 2 and only 3 people left. I’ll have to leave a review and some pics. A private course giving out a 2 for 1 deal to the public doesn’t get my hopes up. But maybe I’ll be surprised.

Texted a friend. Said he played it 3 years ago and everything was in good shape, but a few greens were really shit (like burn out, winter kill, whatever). I doubt that’s still the case, but I figured I’d at least try and help a bit.

1 Like

I’ve heard decent things, it’s probably more interesting than Kings Walk. That place is so boring.

1 Like

The last time I played there, I hit out of the fescue probably 30 times. Drove me insane. Haven’t been back since.

1 Like

Yep, just the same shit over and over again and then the greens are boring as fuck too. Every putt feels dead straight.

1 Like

I don’t remember many complaints about the greens, but I was a much worse putter back then and probably loved that they didn’t have much to them. Hahahaha. But I swear, some of those holes you miss the fairway by a couple feet and you’re hacking out. Does not suit me in the least.

1 Like

Yeah I’m the same way. There are maybe two or three holes that are distinct from each other, and everything else looks and feels exactly the same.

Also, if anyone is ever in the Grand Forks area, I’d recommend Valley GC in EGF over every other course up there (of the like 3 or 4 lol). Front nine is okay, more wide open, but I LOVE the back nine. Got a ton of interesting half-par holes and the greens are tiny. It’s really cool during the fall as well, a lot of yellow!

1 Like

Valley golf course was my home course growing up. My grandma sold Valley the land that the driving range, club house, and holes 1 and 9 are on. Her house is over on that corner there so every weekend when we went over there I would ride my bike to the chipping green and goof around. Kinda surprised my short game sucks as much as it does considering all the time I spent over there.

I have only played Kings Walk a couple of times and it’s been years. Was curious what I was going to think about it now that I am a bit more cultured on golf course design. I can say the same about all the courses up there. Moved down to the Cities 10 years ago and don’t get back much. At the time I moved I’d say I played golf but wasn’t really a golfer. Would like to hit Ray Richards, Lincoln, and Valley just for old times sake and see what I think of them now.

2 Likes