Woah, that’s cool, I’m sure that was fun. I should say that King’s Walk has an awesome practice facility, so that’s a plus. Lincoln was kinda fun when I played it. Really short. Ray Richards just opened again it sounds like but I never had the chance to play it.
I didn’t play much when I lived in Grand Forks, but played Ray Richards a few times. Nothing special, but I had a blast.
Shame what they had to do after the flood.
It was a fun 18 back in the day.
I can still see one of the best 3 irons off the tee I ever hit on #1 at Lincoln. Perfect fall day. Cool, crisp. Just me, my trusty set from Sam’s Club (Arnold Palmer something or other) and no one else.
Grand Forks Country Club will be a pleasant surprise! Fun track when it isn’t flooded, some quirk but if I remember right (been a while since I have been there), the greens are generally good, pretty large as well with some fun pins. Will love to hear what you think!
GFCC was a solid meh. Conditions were average to poor. There were a few interesting holes out there, but course as a whole isn’t really my style. Think I would rather play Kings Walk or Valley if I had to do it again.
I am very curious what dues are out there. Just does not have a private course feel at all.
Sad to hear about the conditions, especially for private. Yikes.
Hey all, I’m relatively new to the Refuge. I live in Washington but was born in Minot and have lived in Grand Forks and after my folks divorced, I spent my summers in Bismarck where I was first introduced to golf. I remember getting the junior pass that gave you unlimited golf at Riverwood and Tom O’leary. It was ridiculously cheap ($100-$150 for the summer) and I’d get dropped off at one of the courses every morning and play anywhere from 18-54 holes a day and drinking no water, only Mellow Yellow (which they didn’t have in Washington at the time). I remember Bismarck had a great junior golf program at the time and I remember adults being very supportive. I hope that’s still the case.
My Dad did community outreach for one of the hospitals in Bismarck and we’d drive all over the state and play golf at some of the small town 9 hole courses. I remember breaking 40 for 9 holes for the first time at Painted Woods in Washburn. We had a place at Van Hook on Lake Sakakawea and would play the New Town course a lot. We also played the Links of North Dakota several times, but I think it used to be called Red Mike.
My Dad’s side of the family is from a really small town, Bowbells, that had a basic course with sand greens! I played that a few times as well. I’m not sure if sand green courses are still around.
I’ve played Hawktree several times, but haven’t played Bully Pulpit yet and haven’t played many courses in the Grand Forks or Fargo areas.
Anyway, don’t have anything of current value to add. Just wanted to pop in and say hello and share some memories.
I’m glad you did, my friend. Welcome to the Refuge.
I’ve lived in Fargo for probably 14 years now, but grew up in the Bismarck area and spent my teenage years in Grand Forks.
If you ever make it back, let us know! I have also never played Bully, but have been meaning to for years.
I Know our golf season is coming to a close or is over but Im currently stuck at home on a coronavirus vacation and i was thinking about some of the courses I’ve played in the past couple years. A group of guys from my home town and I generally try and go on a semi local golf trip every July. I thought I’d put together a list for anyone on here that might be looking to take a trip of your own.
my individual course rankings are (its been a few years since I’ve been to some of these)
- Deacons Lodge - Breezy Point, MN
- Hawktree - Bismarck, ND
- Superior National - Lutsen, MN
- Giants Ridge: the legend - Biwabik, Mn
- Craguns: Dutch Legacy -Brainerd, MN
- Craguns: Bobbys legacy
- Giants Ridge: the quarry
- Maddens: Brainerd, MN
- Geneva - Alexandria, MN
- Bully pulpit - Medora, ND
Honorable mention - Willow Run-Sioux Falls, SD (I have a very limited memory of this course and it was under a remodel my last trip there. but I’ve heard its great since its been completed )
My rankings for a weekend trip
- Craguns - (great service, meals included in golf package free shuttle to and from the course. your clubs stay at the course and are cleaned every night. 2 championship golf courses and unlimited par 3 course to play)
2.Geneva - (this would be the best place for a guys trip/bachelor party you stay right on the course in condos. park your vehicles when you get there and drive your golf carts the rest of the weekend. unlimited golf at 3 different 9 hole courses. 1 links 1 woods and 1 ponds. the bar has good enough food that you don’t feel the need to ever leave and the condos have enough room for game boards of some sort and you can sit on your balcony watch people golf 3 different holes.
- Breezy point - (Breezy has a great set up for hotel and condos to stay and the best breakfast that i had at any resort. Deacons lodge was my favorite course that I played over the last few years. it has the right amount of hard mixed with playability with large landing areas off the tee and narrowing appoarch shots, the biggest downer of this trip is there is only one deacons and the other two course aren’t up to par for what the trip cost in comparison to the first two trips I’ve listed. White Birch is Nice. Slightly nicer than a Rose Creek with elevation change. The traditional course is no better than any local small town course. I compare it to a longer 18 hole prairiewood)
4.Giants Ridge - ( the two nicest courses you’re going to find at the same resort. unfortunately they know it. The worst golf service I’ve ever seen. bad drink service bad restaurant service bad marshals. I should really try it again because the courses are so nice but i really doubt ill ever go back.)
hardest course
- giants ridge the quarry (Narrow)
- giants ridge the legend (narrow)
- maddens (impossible rough)
- hawktree ( a fun kind of hard makes you think through every shot)
Best Views -
1.Superior National - gets the slight edge over pulpit because there’s only like 6 super awesome holes at pulpit compared to 10 at national
2. Bully Pulpit
Sorry this got a little longer than I was expecting if you guys have any questions please ask and if you have any suggestions for courses I should put on my list for next year I would appreciate it.
Awesome write up. Regrettably I have only played Hawktree on your list, but love all this info. Need to get out to every single one of these places next year.
I had the slightest bit of hope that Maple River would stay open into mid November in case I could sneak out for one last round, but alas. Closing today.
Looks like we may be done up here.
Time to tune up the snowblower… 
NLU needs to give me a sad react here. Fuck.
Yeah I’ve come to the sad realization that simulator season is here. But with corona we probably won’t even be able to do that this winter. 
Yeah, I’ve had worries about that too, but our sim league is still going supposedly. We’ll see how long it lasts.
For all of you in the Fargo/Eastern NoDak region…I’m happy to pair you together if you want to join the MN match play tourney in 2021 for a chance to play in the main event at The Midwest “Ope”-in:
Hopefully my wife doesn’t get sick the fucking day before again.
Stoked for this, Bax.
We’re giving everyone A LOT of time to get their shit together for this one.
Mind if a Southern Dakota guy puts in? Never see much Southwest traction in MN talk, but playing out of Luverne mostly this year, maybe someone will see a SW town on the list and be shocked. That said, my Twin Cities buddy and I do same day meet ups way more than our gas budget should allow. Hell, I’d shoot dead North if these fellas were a bracket person short.
