Roll Call: North Carolina

I would say there is an ongoing debate about Mosaic “improving” anything among members and former members.
Tough rough is fine but when you hit it 4 yards off the fairway and can barely hack it back into play I would suggest it is not optimal for everyday players. However it has been that way for years, not Mosaics doing.
Please check it out for yourself. I love the layout. I just recall better days.

1 Like

when though? what time frame are we talking here?

i am absolutely going to go check it out for myself, just a bit confused by all your negative remarks about it without fully understanding the time frame of its glory days so to speak

as mentioned, every review ive read on the place in the past 12 months or so is 4 or 5 stars…obviously Golf Advisor isnt the end all be all when it comes to understanding the ins and out of a golf course, but more times than not its a pretty decent representation of the typical conditions at the course

I love Mimosa. I’m in Newton which is 25 minutes away or so

2 Likes

Rock Barn is about 10 minutes from my house. I play the Jackson course a lot, Jones is private.

For sure! played Rock Barn - Jones (your area-ish) back in September for the Mid-Am Qualifier, the place ate my lunch. Maybe we can get a round together at Mimosa when the rain stops!

Definitely! It might be 6 months before everything drys out, but let’s do it. DM your # and we can figure out a time when the weather looks good.

CCCC was owned by five investors (it might have been 6) and they were key movers and shakers in MtAiry. As they aged they sold off to one set of brothers who too are very rooted in the community and fine people. They brought in Mosaic and out went the old golf and maintenance staff (not a completely bad thing IMO). However this coincided with a loss of membership and tough times for the area, not unlike many other similarly situated NC communities. My visits there have been few in the last few years but I found conditions to be down every time. I hear the same. I know lots of former members that have switched to MACC a nine hole club. I have not heard a single report that CCCC course is better or equal to the pre Mosiac days. That is not to say it isn’t worth playing- it is and I recommend it highly. Form your own opinion. I am not saying it is The management company’s fault. It is the general state of private golf in areas like Surry Co NC. Go to Cedar Rock in Lenoir- it isn’t what it was but still worth playing. Mimosa in Morganton struggles mightily and it is a fantastic course. These are but a couple of examples.

again, what time frame are you talking here?

CCCC has been under management from management companies since 2012, right?

so basically you are saying that the course was better pre 2012 than it is now, right?

we’re just gonna have to pick a date and play that bitch and give an update is all guy

Seems like we need to get a group out there to confirm the quality.

Related, Goodyear in Danville, VA is a fantastic course for $35. It’s only a mile over the border so it’s close enough to NC.

4 Likes

I’ve been meaning to play down there as its only about an hour and the price is pretty good

1 Like

Yes it was better pre Mosaic.

1 Like

10-4, i appreciate all the insight you provided for us!

Thought I’d throw this out there if anyone wants to form a 4-some at my company golf outing at Prestonwood in April… I’ve never played in it, but pretty sure it’s just a typical scramble w/ lunch, etc. Hit me up.

3 Likes

Anyone played the Iron Play par three course in Summerfield? Review?

nope but i live in HP and its been on my list…ive heard some decent things about it

let me know if you want to check it out sometime

Hey guys, your neighbor from the south here. I’m coming up from Charleston next saturday to meet some friends for the weekend. We are playing midpines at 11:15 on Saturday and Tobacco Road at 11:30 on Sunday before heading home.

Question: should we try and play the cradle Saturday after our midpines round or would you guys recommend trying to squeeze a round in at pine needles late? Is the cradle some experience I need to have? I’ve never played Sandhills golf before and want to get the full experience. Maybe try to squeeze it in before tobacco road on Sunday? Not sure if that’s a logistical possibility. Thoughts?

Unlikely that you’ll have time to get a round in at pine needles after mid pines. Go hit the cradle, it’s a good experience and you’ll be able to check out the clubhouse, the hallway is like a museum with pictures and memorabilia from events at Pinehurst, in general a cool vibe. Unfortunately I think the Pinecone (mobile bar on the Cradle) is out till March being restored or repaired. Whichever day you plan to play, you should call the day before and try to make a tee time to ensure you get on.

1 Like

Thanks. That was/is the tentative plan, just sitting here in the middle of a crappy week trying to figure out how to get the most golf in when I’m there.

1 Like

I played it a couple months ago for the first time. I was really impressed with it. The greens weren’t great but the shots were fun to hit. Kris Spence designed it. Definitely worth checking out.

3 Likes