Roll Call: North Carolina

Olde Mill is fabulous IMO. It is prototypical Ellis Maples. Usually in good condition although a few holes can get soft. Always an adventure finding it.
Cross Creek is well worth playing. You play well there and you have a game that can travel. I am told that the greens are slowish and the bunkers not what one would prefer but the holes are very good. The club has had membership issues like so many in small towns. Low maintenance budget I hear. I used to really enjoy playing there even if I knew impending doom awaited on the next tee!

where yall stay for that trip?

olde mill has always been in great shape for the price, and has always been empty too. Never seen more than about 6-8 other golfers out there for some reason. They have cheap rates in the afternoons as well.

We played 27 there on a replay last time for like $35 in mid april after 1

i find it real surprising that Cross Creek has fallen into disrepair as stated earlier in this thread…there are 17 reviews on golf advisor for 2019 and all of them rate CC at least 4 stars. All of the reviews have positive things to say about the course layout, the course conditions, etc.

some folks commented on the greens, but the overwhelming sentiment seemed to be that they were firm, fast and rolled true.

something isnt adding up here IMO

1 Like

I haven’t played CC in a few years but plan to head down this spring for no other reason than to see for myself. I know a lot of members at CC who are members at my home club as well. Nice thing about southwest Virginia and northwest North Carolina. Membership dues are remarkably cheap!

I will report back but it will likely be around the first of March before I can get down.

1 Like

further more, Cross Creek hired Affiniti Golf Partners to manage and improve the club back in 2012.

Affiniti then became Mosaic Clubs and Resorts, which then rebranded itself Bobby Jones Golf Links at the end of 2018.

the are currently managed by Bobby Jones Golf Links.

So they have been under the same ownership more or less since 2012 and of course it lost a lot of members a few years back, most every club in the US lost a lot of members a few years back, non essential things like country club memberships usually get axed when youre in the midst of the biggest recession in decades.

the “redo” that was spoken about which apparently made the course too hard for casual golfers appears as if it took place in 2005.

thick and lush bermuda rough certainly is tough to play out of in the middle of the summer when its thriving, but they arent the only course in the area with bermuda rough and arent you supposed to be penalized by not hitting the fairway?

1 Like

I wish we would put that ish in some holes here at AP, needs more that thick ish

Hi all,

New to the refuge. Currently reside in Pinehurst, NC so I am surrounded by golf. Full time job is in Raleigh, NC 1/2 the week and remote the other half. Spend the weekends working part time for Pinehurst Country Club.

Hit 'em good!

8 Likes

Welcome Spencer! Check out the RADGC linked in post 1272. We’ve got multiple members coordinating various rounds and @Double_Bogey_Dave is leading the charge setting up some regular meetups.

There is a large contingent here in the Triangle and obviously many trips down your way. Cheers!

1 Like

Send me a DM if you have interest in joining the RACDG.

what’s this RACDG?

2 Likes

Hey @Double_Bogey_Dave. This post was referenced below, and I would be interested in the Roll Call/whatsapp chat. I don’t get to play as much as I would like at the moment (two young boys), but love the conversation.

2 Likes

The Royal and Ancient Company of Dishonourable Golfers. You seem like a great candidate for this type of club. :grin:

Info on RACDG

Ill send you the link to the group chat on WhatsApp

2 Likes

I inserted myself into the google Sheet, thanks for overseeing this - - feel free to add me to the WhatsApp list too1

2 Likes

just added myself

3 Likes

The weekend Pinehurst job, smart man :+1:

Played Talamore in SP for the first time in years, really like the changes they are making removing trees and bunkers. Greens were slow but expected this time of year… if they keep having discounts will definitely go back, $42 on golfnow.

2 Likes

No doubt about that!

In Mitchell County. Member at Grassy Creek Golf Club in Spruce Pine and Mimosa Hills in Morganton.

1 Like

The Moore Co. Am was out there last summer* - - - they get those greens rolling good and fast in the summer for sure.

*BTW: MCA is open to non-residents, don’t know where it is this summer but will link the homepage later this year.