Roll Call: North Carolina

Hillandale is doing a Parent-Child series too. Think I’m going to sign up with my 13 YO for some of these.

2 Likes

We are not members but my kids go to the USKG stuff out there so it’s probably a matter of time. It’s got some wonky holes on the front, but everything else about the course works well. Atmosphere is casual, good WiFi on the patio for working when the kids are at practice, etc…

1 Like

I live about 20 minutes from Cross Creek. It was recently renovated by Kris Spence. It’s always in terrific shape. Tale of two nines. First nine is very flat with less than 10 feet of elevation change. The second is very hilly with over 150 feet of elevation change. Fun place to play.

1 Like

will meet you at either of those homie

how far ish off 81 is that?

Hows it compare to Draper Valley if you’ve ever played there?

Cross Creek is about 45 miles south of Draper down I-77. The two courses actually compare favorably but Cross Creek is slightly better conditioned. Olde Mill is another exceptional course almost perfectly in between Draper and Cross Creek. Olde Mill is also right next to Primland.

2 Likes

Big fan of Hillendale - - - hope it dries out for the summer!

1 Like

What’s up everyone. Been listening to NLU for awhile now. Just joined The Refuge. Moved to Raleigh from SC a couple years ago. Play out of Prestonwood. Are there ever any meet ups in the area?

6 Likes

I’d meet up at Prestonwood! :rofl: Welcome to the Refuge!

8 Likes

Just had a lesson at Prestonwood this afternoon. h/t @raleighdawg for the recommendation. Tom was great.

4 Likes

Cross Creek can be insanely hard when the Bermuda is growing. The rough gobbles up,your ball and all you see is a dime sized spot. Every green is elevated so always a half club shot. Bunkers are flat with steep side walls so can end up dead in them. Spence did a number of Raynor type greens- 1 is a Redan, 4 is a double plateau, 12 is a Biarritz, and 14 a Short with the thumbprint. Very demanding golf course. Has fallen into disrepair due to ownership management issues. Lost lots of members a few years back. I was a member for about five years. Mt Airy had economic issues and a private club with pool tennis and fine dining struggled. It used to be great! I contend the redo made the course too hard for casual golfers. There have been times I was even or one over thru 15 only to shoot over 80 as the last stretch are bears!

3 Likes

Welcome @Tomp I’m in Durham, play out of Occoneechee and Hillandale. We’ve got a number of guis in the Triangle and the meetups for a round are becoming more frequent.

We have a Carolinas Royal and Ancient Company of Dishonorable Golfers chapter.

Sign up is here. We are having a meet up at Wilmington Municipal on 2/29. Have a couple of others planned.

Let me know if you have interest and want to sign up. I’ll add you to the WhatsApp chat we have for the chapter.

1 Like

Tom is awesome. Has fit me for all my clubs

3 Likes

Intriguing write up! I’ll have to add this to our list for our annual mountains trip, this year we’re hitting the Dye River Course and this sounds like a perfect stop on the way in or out.

2 Likes

Tried to get on list of the Carolinas chapter but beyond my meager skills! Afraid I would destroy the list!

1 Like

Send me a DM with your name, city, state, phone #, and Twitter handle (if you have one)

We have a WhatsApp chat going with the chapter.

Anyone looking to get out in Charlotte tomorrow? Don’t have anything booked but I have the go ahead from my wife.

1 Like

Posted in the Pinehurst thread but I’m visiting your fine state on 2/20-2/23 if anyone is interested in joining a tee time.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/pinehurst-trips/878/774?u=figjam_dc

3 Likes

I hate to hear the new ownership/management group has let Cross Creek fall into disrepair. I haven’t played it since 2017.

Is Cross Creek worth a trip? I live about 2 hrs away and was thinking a day trip there and maybe Olde Mill would be fun.