Roll Call: North Carolina

Strong list, I’ll add a few but you can’t go wrong with what you’ve already included: Cortez, St Roch, State of Beer, Figulina (just opened handmade pasta place by the chef de cuisine from Pooles), Madre.

I had been seeing Ajja and Figulina on Instagram, both look real good. Completely forgot about State of Beer - great sandwiches. I also forgot about FunGuys brewing, great beer, kind of a weird vibe.

Its been 15 years since we’ve played it. They’ve changed some of the course it appears since then, but if you’re going to be wowed by the views, you certainly won’t be disappointed, especially for $45pp.

2 Likes

Nothing against anything else in the areas you mentioned (cuz there are great values everywhere you look), but they’re nothing you can’t find anywhere else in your travels. Make the memories! If not, go find you an Olde Homeplace in WS or play under the lights at Knights Play (27 hole legit par 3 course) in Apex for under $40. Knights Play is about 30-40 min from TR. our pick: pay the $125 at tot hill and ride. You will not regret it.

1 Like

similar to olde mill?

You know our affinity for Olde Mill very well… back them OB was ahead of OM. They’ve probably flip flopped since but are still very different. Drove down to OB from Blacksburg at that time. Wouldn’t hesitate doing it again for that price either.

2 Likes

I call this the Pink Floyd Hole. The view from the back of the green is stupendous.

OBX golfer here. Seeing who else on this is in the Eastern nc areA

1 Like

Coharie—played it last fall in a NC Mid AM qualifier. It is for sure a small town CC. Conditioning could be spotty. But I will say that if you’re in it for playing a Maples design go ahead and go for it. Tiny greens. Lots of players came out of there for years…gotta be a shot maker!

Also, if you’re laying in June you’re likely playing it at a great time of year for that course.

@Swing_hard_and_hope or @Double_Bogey_Dave can get you set up in First Flight. You might be our only OBX member but we’ve got others on the coast.

1 Like

Been NLU fan for handful of years now. New to all this part of it. Just let me know what I gotta do.

Don’t live there but visit frequently. Generally play Currituck club or Kilmarlic when there. Played Nags head last time, interesting course. Fun to switch it up, would never want to play it a ton.

Brainstorming an NC trip of sorts. Charleston is home, but grandparents are taking kids on a cruise so I’m left to my own devices for memorial day week. Gonna crash at my parents house in Wallace(30ish mins west of Wilmington on 40) with the dog so i can keep the money #onthefield wrt tee time rates. But that means max road time daily is like 5 hours so i can get back to the dog. The good news is that means the Pinehurst area courses, up to Raleigh and even down to myrtle are all possibilities (i can drive to true blue/caledonia any weekend in like 70 mins and i’ve already played them, so less interested in myrtle).

Trying to play 3-4 courses i’ve never been (only really played river landing and Wilmington Muni in NC). Prefer something walkable to get in fighting shape for our NIT qualifier the following week coughTreeFarmcough. Placing a higher premium on interesting GCA than anything else, so Tobacco Road is probably number one on my list. Love Raynor courses but doesn’t look like any public ones are gettable. Not sure what 2-4 on the list should be. HALP?

Would love to pair up with anyone if you’re free that week.

Special invite!: Looking for a 4th to play with us at The Tree Farm on 4/12 as part of a special Master’s invite. Our local friend (Matt, based in Charlotte) will be driving to meet us for our 2:00 p.m. Tree Farm tee time.

We’d love to have a friend of NLU come just us 3 (not that handicaps matter, but two of us are <4 from MN and Matt is a 14 or something). We’re all mid 30s golf nerds.

We plan to stay in Charlotte Friday night so we’ll be traveling back there post round. Our Charlotte based friend Matt could provide RT transportation from Charlotte. You must pay the rate (I don’t know if Tree Farm is advertising it so DM me and I’m happy to share), the rate includes all food and beverages while on site and it looks like caddies are a must.

If anyone is interested please reach out! And if you want to host us for a round Saturday a.m. in Charlotte we’re down for that too!

5 Likes

Come play this amazing course with a shot at qualifying for the NIT!

3 Likes

Hey everyone,

Girlfriend and I are planning on moving to the Wilmington area in the September. She is nurse wants to do a travel contract. I work remotely so why the hell not. It might be a place where we move and live permanently. I was wondering what the country club scene like? I belong to a club now (in Buffalo, NY) and would like to do the same if I find a new home. Thanks!

2 Likes

Cape Fear CC is sick, but gonna be $$$ and prob a decent wait last I heard from some friends.

1 Like

Can confirm. Played it in the fall last year. Has the whole package, but I’m gonna assume that membership is both exclusive and expensive.

@AirMailWedges might be able to provide some information. He belongs to a club in the Wilmington area.