Roll Call: North Carolina

Seeking for some local knowledge/insight.

Headed out to NC for a few days in mid-April and are looking for one additional course to add to our itinerary. We’ll be making our way from Winsten-Salem to Pinehurst on Saturday and are hoping to work in a round for our drive. Already have big hitters in Southern Pines(sunday) & Tobacco Road(monday) on our list, so looking for a course locals would consider solid value <$100 walking rate(if possible on a Saturday).

Open to anywhere in the Raleigh/Durham area or Greensboro or anywhere in between. Is it worth trying for the Duke/UNC Courses? Is Tot Hill Farm worth the $125?

Cheers :call_me_hand:

not imo. and if you are planning to walk there, probably dont

Lonnie Pool in in RDU imo

1 Like

How much harder of a walk is Tot Hill compared to TR?

A Greensboro favorite is going to be Holly ridge (cc: @grizzly224)

1 Like

TR is a fairly easy walk in my opinion. THF is tough. Doable, but tough. There are long stretches between holes and getting to 8 tee is a hike.

2 Likes

Reynolds Park in Winston is a great muni and worth checking out.

2 Likes

We currently have Tanglewood in the rota for friday but I’m really interested in this muni at some point in the weekend.

Tot hill is pretty unique and my rec would be to pay it and ride but it’s also not my money. I am also no longer local and haven’t played since the reno. My favorite of the area was champions course at Bryan Park. It is slightly in the wrong direction for you (North of Greensboro)

2 Likes

I played it like 6 years ago, pretty fun. Honestly don’t remember much but enjoyed my day or two out there.

1 Like

Tot hill is gonna be a lay out you will never see. Personally Stranz tried too hard on this one IMO, and that course is the hardest to play of all Mike Stranz. In good shape its still wonky af.

Make sure its the champ course.

1 Like

Play THF. Get a cart. Have a blast.

5 Likes

Bryan park is much much better

1 Like

I would not bother.

Mill Creek in Mebane (no clue on price), Forest Oaks in SE Guilford Co, Holly Ridge is right off the highway on way to Pinehurst but not some stellar course- just a great operation at great price point. I would play Tot Hill Farm but it ain’t a walking course.

2 Likes

Anybody ever play coharie CC in Clifton? An Ellis Maples design. Looking to play any type of Donald Ross/ Maples courses while I’m down there for the uso. Going to Wilmington muni as well, looking for one more course like that in the area

In lieu of attending stressful family events this weekend - my wife and I are running away from our problems to our favorite city - Raleigh.

Some planned stops:
-Person St Bar
-Bida Monda
-Stanbury
-Poole’s Diner
-Burial
-Neuse River brunch

Whats new? What are we missing?

2 Likes

That’s a strong list, won’t really go wrong with those. But I’d add Ajja, which is getting crazy good reviews, including from myself and my wife. And there’s a newer bar called natural sciences that I enjoy.

2 Likes

Farmer’s Market breakfast was always one of our favs.

Check out The Angus Barn for a good steak night and Milton’s pizza when you’re headed out

1 Like