Roll Call: North Carolina

This is 40 minutes from GSO

1 Like

Probably not the best thread, but likely going to watch the Wells Fargo in Charlotte in May and was wondering if anyone had been and had any tips on best places to spectate. Also looking to play some golf of my own and was targeting 2-3 rounds (potentially a 36 day) Eagle Chase, Skybrook, Mooresville, The Divide, Emerald Lake, Charlotte National. Any recs? Thanks!

1 Like

As for spots to watch at Quail, I like 17th tee. You can see a good bit of action there.
Not a ton of great options for Charlotte public golf, just depends on where you’re staying and how far you want to drive. Eagle chase is a bit of a drive, but if you’re out that way I’d also suggest Monroe CC.

Rocky River next to the speedway is cool

2 Likes

New to the area. Looking for some Charlotte homies to hit the links with, or enjoy a beer bucket special at Leatherman’s… or both.

3 Likes

Welcome @left_hand_woe! Plenty of folks on here from the Charlotte area. I am sure @tdaly or @Hitchings21 can get you hooked up with their local WhatsApp chats and Roost info. I am on the eastern side of the State but I am sure we will meet at some point down the road.

2 Likes

No chance you’ll find @Hitchings21 near Leatherman’s, it’s too far from his comfy, suburban, mansion! Leatherman’s is for the people, and we all know The Hitcher is not.

8 Likes

Welcome!

Join us in the Queen City Hive Roost:

@Hitchings21 can get you added to the Roost portion of the refuge

Also be sure to hop in the larger Carolinas (CLC) chat as well:

We can be an overwhelming but welcoming bunch of knuckleheads. @BrooklynAJ will tell you though, you’re among friends.

3 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome!

2 Likes

@Double_Bogey_Dave Please add me to the First Flight roost thread. I’m in Durham and usually get out to Duke or Hillandale. Thanks!

4 Likes

I added you the the First Flight Refuge group.

The WhatsApp link for First Flight is here

The WhatsApp for the general Carolina’s group is here

I play Hillandale a bit, mostly play Occoneechee. Hope to meet you soon!

3 Likes

when my company was purchased in jan and I was told in my new role I wouldn’t be traveling anymore, the first thing that popped into my mind was walking out there with you. Love that place way more than I should.

2 Likes

@BeardedGolf In case you didn’t see these yet!

1 Like

Got back from our scouting trip. Loved Raleigh, definitely looking to make the jump but the financials of a cross country move are looking tough. Trying to get our ducks in a row and seeing what we can make work and how to do it. Looking at North Hills, North Raleigh, West Cary/South Cary, and Apex area.

9 Likes

10 years ago we packed a Penske, towed a car behind, and moved ourselves down here. Wouldn’t change anything. Quality of life is pretty unbeatable in the Triangle.

4 Likes

It’s encouraging to hear that because it can certainly be daunting to move but people do it all the time.

The large things are 1. I need to find a job 2. Our mortgage is going to go way up. We got a steal on our current place at like 2% 3. The reason number 2 is a big deal is because my wife is self employed. She will have to rebuild her client base meaning we are foregoing a large portion of our income by moving.

Our current mentality is “we are trying to move, but we aren’t forcing it” - we can’t move until the fall anyways so we are in a bit of a hold position but definitely excited.

3 Likes

Any WNC folks around? See a lot of Triangle/Triad posts but anyone play around Asheville? Currently on the IR but looking to connect with some fellow golf sick-o’s and hit some cups this summer.

2 Likes

Welcome @zarheelz! There are definitely a lot of folks on here from the other side of the State. @PowerFadez might be the farthest west that I know of but I am sure other will chime in. Feel free to get in on the WhatsApp chats listed above if you haven’t already.

1 Like

Definitely recommend @PowerFadez but also Greenville, SC isn’t too far away. I’ll venture up to Asheville every now and again.

Just wanted to say thanks for a great weekend. Charlotte, Tobacco Road, and Chapel Hill all treated me really nice.

14 Likes