Roll Call: North Carolina

Pine hollow walkable on a scale of 1-10?

I have Reynolds park being a 5 and hillandale being 3 with 10 being hardest if that helps

7.5? Iā€™ll defer to the locals.

1 Like

Nah, pine hollow is a pretty easy walk, think Hillsdale (specifically 13-15) is harder. There are some slopes but none too aggressive. 6&7, 12,14 are really the only slightly taxing hills at pine hollow.

1 Like

NC Friends,

Making a quick trip up to Chapel Hill this weekend to visit a friend that just moved to the area for grad school. Any recommendations on a good spot to grab dinner/drinks that arenā€™t too far away from UNC?

this proved correct. I think Iā€™m used to mountains so at this point anything is fine thats semi flat

1 Like

Top of the Hill for dinner and drinks, Lindaā€™s if you need a quick lunch and Carolina Brewing for bar food and good drafts. All 3 are on Franklin St

2 Likes

Franklin Street is adjacent to campus, thatā€™s where youā€™ll want to be. Cormickā€™s recommendations above are good. Heā€™s Not Here is the campus classic watering hole, Alā€™s Burger Shack was voted by some magazine to be the best burger ever (which is dumb, but the burger is tasty), Lantern deserves all the praise that it gets (and more, but itā€™s a nicer spot, not sure what youā€™re looking for), venture down the street to Luna Rotisserie for killer cocktails and Latin/South American cuisine. Crunkleton is also an extremely strong cocktail bar, outstanding bourbon selection.

2 Likes

Also dope spots, I went for the ā€œplay the hitsā€ :joy:

1 Like

If only the Rathskellar was still openā€¦That place was something else

2 Likes

The good olā€™ Rathskellarā€¦ate dinner there with Ed Cota and Makhtar Nā€™Diaye once. This isnā€™t the thread to discuss what happened during that dinner but it was interesting.

Food was a little overhyped but it was good, even as a State fan Iā€™ll admit it.

2 Likes

Depends on if you want to be surrounded by students. Carrboro is just down the street like @ColoniusFunk mentioned and has a number of good spots. I am partial to Tesoro a new slightly nicer pasta place (very small though so reservation recommended), Oak Leaf if you want higher end, Steel string brewery, and the new cocktail bar Atlas is solid.

edit - Med Deli is the spot if you are looking for a lunch. Or Merrits grille (BLT)

3 Likes

The BLT at Merrits will require you wear elastic waistbanded shorts.

5 Likes

Good stuff! Appreciate all of the recs.

If the weather is nice I would recommend Franklin Motors, newer beer garden towards the Carrboro end of Franklin with solid beer selection that also has a food truck there. More of a grad school and up crowd if you are looking for that vibe.

1 Like

If you go, its not far to the asheville muni or the 9 hole donald ross at lake lure

1 Like

Anyone around Pinehurst/Southern Pines area looking for 3 to play this Saturday? @KyaKona , myself and my BIL are trying to play somewhere so I thought I would ask.

Google says Lake Lure GC is permanently closed.

lakeluregolfclub.com is available. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

oh sad!!!

Went on a camping/golf trip in that area last summer and it did NOT look good.

@dmmcgaha - our friends over at Lie + Loft are working with residents over in the area to convince the local government to reopen and maintain Lake Lure GC. Will monitor the situation as I hear from them!

2 Likes