Roll Call: North Carolina

Hi Joshua and welcome. There are a bunch of us in the triad area that ay on a regular basis. My home is Holly Ridge and there are others that play Bryan Park, Forest Oaks, Tanglewood and others often.

Join the CLC Whatsapp group and/or the First Flight Roost where there are openings posted for just about any weekend.

CLC

First Flight Roost

6 Likes

Welcome! There is a decent amount of us in the Triad, myself included, that are always looking to play. Where do you like to play around here? And why is The Cardinal the best course in Greensboro, and maybe all of NC?

3 Likes

Great looking profile pic Joshua, welcome aboard!

2 Likes

Iā€™m ashamed to say I havenā€™t had the pleasure. Itā€™s on the list for sure, hopefully this season.

1 Like

Whereā€™s the photo cred line around here!

2 Likes

Let me know when you want to get out, they have public times but Iā€™m happy to host and get you the guest rate.

Must have been a professional that took that. Surprised theres not a watermark on it.

1 Like

Thanks and great call on the Neech everyone. I snuck out yesterday and played my first round in forever. Good walk, good vibes and other than some truly reprehensible putting on my part, a great time. Looking forward to getting out there

7 Likes

Just moved back to NC. Living in Clayton and just joined at the Neuse. Anyone out this way? Slack/WhatsApp for the roost/local area? Looking forward to teeing it up.

Cheers,
Chris

6 Likes

Here is a link to the OG Carolinas chat

@Swing_hard_and_hope can get you set up with the First Flight Roost WhatsApp

1 Like

Welcome! I am east of you about an hour so well within range to tee it up sometime. Never played the Neuse but have wanted too. Will have to join you sometime.

@KodakF15E here is the link to the First Flight WhatsApp

Many thanks!

Sounds great. It is in pretty good shape. Not too shabby for a neighborhood course. Where do you usually play? I work out in Goldsboro so might be a bit closer to you.

1 Like

Anyone played Sapona lately? Supposed to play it this weekend for the first time.

1 Like

Sweet! Yeah that is about 10 minutes closer but that is where my Dadā€™s family is from. I have played many times at Southern Wayne and the Muni. Also played Lane Tree a couple times. Always wanted to play Walnut Creek. Played Cutter Creek once as well.

1 Like

Sapona should be in great shape. Played it a mi th or so ago and it was good but should be better now.

Zoysia greens i think

1 Like

Played the front at Asheville Golf Course yesterday. Driving in we passed by some holes that are cut through the trees and on impossibly hilly land. On first glance the course looked abandoned. There was more dirt in the fairways than grass. When we got to the clubhouse the flat front nine turf looked better, and I asked my son if he wanted to play. He said why not?

We tipped it out and actually the first tee shot was cool. We both bogeyed, and looked back and thought ok, letā€™s figure this out. Course had some good tee shots and the last two holes were awesome. Uphill 200 yd 1/2 volcano par 3 8th and one of the most exciting tee shots Iā€™ve had in a while on 9. We had a great local guy we played with and had a great night. Me and jr were tied at +3 going into 9. I birdied he made par and I got the increasingly rare win. Great night.

Takeaways-
$38 for 2 players riding. Played in 1hr 45min. Turf was the worst Iā€™ve played in years, but the greens were fine. Holes were interesting and vibe was good. On the 3rd tee box the local we were playing with informed me that the course was originally built for the black community. And when he said that I noticed the group behind up was two black men. As I looked around the wide open view of the packed muni I noticed an amazing mix of people. There was not a noticeable minority or majority. Kids, women, black, white-this was a true reflection of the community. A true municipal space.
As I head to the us kids world championships for my son at pinehurst, I wonder what the USGA is thinking. They just made pinehurst #2 the face of their organization, an organization that is supposed to be for all of us. Yet how many of us are playing places like #2 everyday? Oh well turf is overrated and partners are underrated.

3 Likes

Never played there but would love to at some point down the road despite the turf issues lol. Outside of topography it sounds like the Goldsboro Muni which I have played many times over the years. Truly a place for all and a easy, fun walk. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Yeah the front and back are wildly different courses. 10 and 11 are objectively terrible holes

1 Like