Roll Call: North Carolina

I would love to impose on your generosity and get a round in as a guest. I may be looking for a club in the next year or so and I am intrigued by the value of non-resident offerings.

2 Likes

Anytime, would be glad to have you out. Probably would be best to see it toward the end of this month when the Bent greens are firing. Last year late Sept thru mid Nov was primo. Iā€™ll get a list going of those interested and weā€™ll put something together.

7 Likes

CC of Salisbury is a fabulous golf course. Pretty tight but very cozy. Has some of the best bent greens anywhere. The first green is sort of goofy but the rest are great. I have visited it often since 1976 and can say it has never been anything but a pleasure to play.

6 Likes

Whenever I played last year (maybe October/November), the greens were perfect. And they were maybe the fastest greens I have played on. Few weird holes but enjoyed it.

1 Like

That was around the time they hosted the Carolinas Mid-Am. They were indeed outrageously fast.

1 Like

https://www.groupgolfer.com/

$39 for 18 Holes with Cart, Range Balls and Complimentary Round on the Bottlebrush Course at Longleaf Golf & Family Club in Southern Pines ($113 Value. Good Any Day, Any Time until April 1, 2022!)

#fuckingdeal

3 Likes

Bought this last year, and again this year, Longleaf is a ton of fun. They will let you use it at ā€œany timeā€ eventuallyā€¦ I did feel like I got the runaround a few times on ā€œoh the tee sheet is full that day.ā€ I play year round and getting to Southern Pines is an easy drive, so worth it for sure. Just word of advice in case you may have limited chances to make a tee time work, it could be tricky to schedule the time you want.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to be in Wilmington from mid October to mid November. Iā€™ve played Wilmington Municipal a couple times. Any other recs in the area? Anyone played Cape Fear National? Also am willing to travel a bit. Any suggestions would be helpful.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t played a ton, but I played cape fear last March 3rd and I couldnā€™t believe how good the greens were. Price wise is a little on the higher end. But I thought the course was completely worth it. Waste bunkers that the cart path send you in. Everything was just awesome. I wasnā€™t a fan of magnolia greens, and wouldnā€™t run back to Carolina national. But I always enjoy oak island golf club. Wonā€™t knock your socks off but I donā€™t think you will be upset. Right across from the ocean on oak island. The staff is always great. Nice new clubhouse. Hereā€™s a Pic of cape fear.

6 Likes

Cape Fear Natty is the best course in Brunswick County by far so if you donā€™t mind paying it is well worth it. And if you donā€™t mind traveling a little bit I would recommend Farmstead or the Thistle both in Calabash. Both are always pristine conditioning and great layouts. Farmsteadā€™s finishing hole is a 700+ yard par 6 that crosses state lines, sounds gimmicky but its very well done, plus there are rumors amongst everyone in the county that they are closing November 1 to sell.

3 Likes

Cape Fear National is a must play IMO. Compass Point is one of the newer courses in the region which is nice as well. Both are rather priceyā€¦NE of Wilmington I would recommend Castle Bay and a little farther NE is North Shore . Castle Bay is one of my favorites that I have played is Eastern NC. I hear a lot of good things about Oak Island as well. Farmstead is allegedly being sold to developer so if it is still in good shape I would recommend that as well. Numerous other solid courses in that Calabash region that is a pretty easy drive from Wilmington.

2 Likes

Confirmed. They have already sold and are going to put houses all over the course

2 Likes

Such a shame man. Fun tract with some sweet holes.

Classic, canā€™t blame them, figure they opted to sell that instead of Meadowlands because of the land size. Just played Meadowlands for the first time in a while on Monday and forgot how good it is. Hopefully they will get it to Farmstead caliber once it is their only focus

1 Like

Speaking on ILM golf, getting married at Porters Neck CC in 3.5 weeks, playing out there morning of but know nothing about the course. From what I can tell when we have been to the clubhouse it looks greats, but know they struggled financially after Florence and that McConnell bought them, anyone know how it compares to their other properties?

Have not played Meadowlands but wanted toā€¦

I know Porters Neck CC is renovating some parts of the course and the practice area right now

1 Like

Muni, Cape Fear National, Castle Bay, North Shore, Bear Trail. Iā€™ll drop each of those spots every time someone asks about Wilmington area public golf. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Forgot about Bear Trailā€¦Great budget minded course that drains better than probably any course I have ever seen!

Played Beau Rivage the other week, it was in great condition, especially considering how many rounds they get there. Also, donā€™t forget about Carolina National, its a good 27 hole course near Shallotte/Bolivia area.

Going back to ILM the weekend of Sept. 18 to play Farmstead before it closes.

3 Likes